Roll Call: Oregon

For the under 30 crowd in Portland, just saw this sweet little guy pop up. Hard to believe but totally free.

YA! Golf

Annual membership cards are issued - FREE OF CHARGE - throughout the year. You can get one anytime. Cards expire annually on December 31, but new cards can be picked up on January 1 (as long as you’re still in the 19-29 age range).

Cardholder Rates: 18 holes = $20, 9 holes = $10

1 Like

I’m curious if the weather allows for golf in Portland between Thanksgiving and Christmas? We are looking to reschedule a conference from May and late November/early December might be our best option.

For the golfers attending the conference (about 15%), I’d like to have a feel for whether we have a chance to get a round or not.

you can play, but it’s gonna be wet! Best bet would be Langdon Farms. By far the best winter course in the area.

1 Like

Would agree with @chunk Langdon has the best drainage and conditions in the off season. If you happen upon a dry period you could head out to Pumpkin Ridge.

Portland resident here. Happy to get out anywhere…holler anytime.

2 Likes

Greetings! Current Denver resident relocating in December to Albany initially as we scout a place to buy somewhere between Portland and Eugene.

Looking forward to meeting some of you in the future, but figured I’d make myself known now!

3 Likes

This is soooo clutch. Thank you for dropping this link in here!

1 Like

New to the refuge but I live in PDX and am down to play!

2 Likes

Any of you folks want to chime in on grip choices for when we make the move?

Have gamed the Pure Wrap for five or six years and love it. Crazy tacky in dry weather and ridiculously durable. Regarding moisture, I don’t recall having slipping issues when I’ve played back home in Alabama or the one time I played in the rain in Scotland, but would happily field some suggestions from everyone on the ground in the PNW.

My understanding is the Tour Velvet Cord or MCC is the standard choice. Anyone use rubber grips or have other suggestions? I’m intrigued by this one from Lamkin: https://www.lamkingrips.com/shop/st-hybrid/

This thread isn’t as poppin at the PNW thread, and I’m not sure if the PNW thread officially includes Oregon or not, so if I should post there lemme know.

@westviewgolfer and I will be playing around the Eugene area (possibly further like PDX) on Saturday 7/25 before picking up the last 2 guis around 8p and heading to Florence/Bandon Sunday am.

Any recs on courses in the Eugene area, and we will have two spots open as well to complete a proper foursome and any games. One of us is scratch the other is liable to break 80 any day or shoot 100.

1 Like

Corvallis is nearby, home of Oregon State, and they used to play, at least, at a really nice course called Trysting Tree.

2 Likes

A little inland from Eugene, but not even an hour, Tokatee is worth a shot.

1 Like

Eugene resident here. Yeah unfortunately the public golf scene around Eugene isn’t all that great. Laurelwood is a historic, incredibly fun 9 holer that TFE did a recent write up on. There are serviceable full courses in Eugene, but to get a memorable course of sorts y’all may need to drive a bit. I second Trysting Tree as well.

Is Emerald Valley public? Creswell’s less of a drive than Tokatee…

1 Like

Emerald Valley is public. It’s a lot closer but nowhere close to Tokatee golf wise IMHO.

1 Like

Would you rank it

Tokatee
Trysting Tree
Emerald Valley

Time really isn’t an issue. We are staying the night in Eugene Friday and don’t have to be back til the airport at 8p. With Covid doubt there is much to do.

I’d say so. If you’re going for some quintessential Oregon golf you can’t really beat tokatee.

1 Like

Laurelwood is where I learned the game while in college. TONS of great memories of that place.

Played Trysting Tree once, and Tokatee several times back in the day. We really liked Tokatee.

Elkhorn Valley was a SUPERB 9 hole layout back in the day. I know they’ve added another 9, but haven’t seen it in well over a decade. Anybody see it recently?

2 Likes

Its a golf course too?! Love that brewery

Don’t know! But sounds good! (I lived in Eugene about 20 years ago…back a handful of times for football and basketball games since then)

1 Like