Roll Call: Omaha/Lincoln

I’ve only played Willow Lakes once, about 8 years ago. I remember liking it, but it was in rough shape.

I haven’t played Johnny Goodman in a few years, so I can’t comment on anything new. It was always in ok shape with a little shaggy greens normally when I was playing it a few times a year.

So obviously we won’t be playing golf for a while with this snow.

Where do any of you guys go to take some swings indoors over the winter? I’m generally opposed to the Beyond Golf bar/restaurant simulator thing, and am really just looking for a cheap-ishplace to hit take swings, get some carry numbers, etc. I’ve done the Indian Creek garage bay thing and think its fantastic, even that is more ‘outdoors’ than I really want to be in this weather…

Other than those, gc quad at golf galaxy.

is this something you can rent at an hourly rate? Im unfamiliar.

Yep. Call ahead and they’ll keep it open for you. I can’t recall the price. But they’ll let you take control of the computer and everything.

It’s a big help when you buy a new adjustable hybrid and need to dial in your gaps.

you da man

Used to work part time there on the weekends (makes golf equipment much cheaper). It’s $20 per 30 minutes. Avoid peak times - morning/afternoons on the weekend. Otherwise, there’s usually a bay open.

That’s a straight up brag, yo.

1 Like

Wilderness Ridge has a great practice facility. Probably the best out of all the semi/public courses. It’s UNL’s home course so they have heated bays and an indoor green and chipping complex. The Highlands also has a trackman setup in the winter time in their main shop. It’s a bit of an awkward setup in the middle of their shop, but it gets the job done.

It may be worth it to mix up for a month and do the pass since it’s only an hour drive. Highlands and Pioneers are definitely worth it. Mahoney is probably my least favorite and the back nine at Holmes is the only worthy part about that course. Jim Ager is the only par three course I know of that’s fun to mix in every once in awhile. You have to be patient though because it’s definitely geared toward the “grow the game” crowd.

In regards to the dog, she comes out to the range with me. I have seen dogs out at Wilderness Ridge before, but not very often. There is a big old chocolate lab at Hidden Valley that patrols the course. He will never get in your way or come up to you, but he makes it known you’re definitely on his course and he’s the alpha. The only time I take my dog out is at city courses on holiday when nobody is working. It’s essentially just a city park on holiday’s and they don’t mind as long as you’re respectful.

1 Like

I played today at a new simulator place…HOLY MOTHER OF GOD IT WAS AWESOME.

1. The ball re-loaded on it’s own every time. You never had to chase down a single ball. This new system has a platform that adjusts so uphill lies are uphill, sidehill, etc. Has a “rough” and a “sand” lie. Putting is greatly improved over previous systems I’ve used.

2. Had a bar in it.

3. You can save your data…and it films your swing.

Blew my mind. I’ve never seen it before today. I’m going every Friday until this place melts.

Hey, uhh, mind sharing the place? Or are you referring to Beyond Golf?

Sure. WBL, MN. Called Element Golf. Probably a chain of some kind since I saw multiples on Waze when I pulled up directions. GOLFZON is the simulator.

How am I just now finding out this place exists!?!?

1 Like

I just did.

1 Like

More good intel! Question- are the indoor putting/chipping areas and heated bays available to be rented out to the public? I visited their website and they aren’t advertised.

Thanks for the detailed response. With the city courses and the dog- did you speak with the staff at the course before doing this at all? Asking because that is something I would love to be able to do but have never acted on. Thanks mate.

https://www.wildernessridgegolf.com/golf/nebraska-golf-academy

It’s under the Nebraska Golf Academy section. It’s definitely worth going and scratching the itch during the winter time. Unless they have someone else lined up in the bay after your time, they really don’t keep track of time.

Checking in from the Millard area.

Total muni golfer. Worked the grounds crew at Johnny Goodman for 4 years in high school and college. Still my favorite place. Play in a league at Indian Creek as well.