Roll Call: Oklahoma "The Supercell" - The Roost's Greatest Logo™

No. It closed in 2015. It was a good spot, was sad to see it go.
Public golf in Tulsa has dried up. Clary Fields, Emerald Falls, Cotton Creek, Scissortail and Whitehawk have all closed in the last 5-10 years. So Forrest Ridge is the only non-municipal, non-tribal owned public course in the area.
And the City is getting Page Belcher appraised. Going to a meeting on Monday to hopefully join a group of people to advocate for Page and Mohawk to get more funding and proper attention from the City.

Wow I didn’t know about all those. Forest Ridge is a nice track but it’s kicked my ass every time I’ve played it. Good luck with the City

Yeah Forest Ridge will beat you up if you spray it at all off the tee. Always in great shape and they did some major work a few years back on some holes on the back that made it more fun IMO.

Yo! It was fun playing with you and @Hoppock today! Glad to see more plugged in golfers around OKC! Let’s play again soon

3 Likes

Likewise Eric! Fun course with good company/weather - doesn’t get much better

1 Like

I’m in the OKC area furthest I’ve played was in Shawnee

1. River Oaks - Edmond - Fun layout and tough greens, elevation changes galore. Private unfortunately

2. Firelake GC - Shawnee - Great shape, flatter than I’d like, tons of water hazards.

3. Rose Creek - Edmond - Maintenance is slightly above average. Bring your bomber, and your finesse bc the greens are small and undulating. Windy af, free range balls and larger than normal practice area.

4. Surrey Hills - Yukon - semi-private. They transferred the bermuda greens from Silverhorn on their existing 18 and then built an additional 9 holes. Maintenance is really below average though, greens are straight forward. Range is tiny, food is not that bad. $40 on weekends with cart is a great deal but no marshals and the members of the course don’t give af about pace generally.

5. John Conrad Muni - MWC - One of the better munis in the area, decent layout. Condition is average, range is decent size and has separate pitching range! Best value and pace is generally good

6. Westwood Park GC - Norman - Fun city course, nice pro shop. Crap range, good food. Cheaper than OKC munis, this one is worth playing imo

1 Like

I just moved to OKC area as well. Shot in the dark here but I wouldn’t mind getting out with a group of y’all. Been playing the OKC munis as a single at least 1x/week. Free on Fri/Sat typically. Play off a 10. Prefer to walk rather than ride. Feel free to DM me.

4 Likes

Welcome to OKC! Brent (Pushcartgodfather) and I usually play once a week during the weekdays with another buddy of ours, Codie. I met and played with Eric (Ericlikesyou) last weekend and I’ve played a few times with Colin (McRib). Colin hasn’t moved here full time yet, so is relegated to playing on the weekends. We usually play the OKC muni’s or Kickingbird. Def glad to have another refugee to play with!

4 Likes

Would also be down to get a round in with you guys in OKC area.

1 Like

Fellow Oklahoma Refugees -

A few of us are going to play next Friday the 25th at Lincoln Park. Shoot me a DM to let me know if you can play, so I know how many tee times to get. We’ll probably play TILT- toss in $5 - winner take all.

3 Likes

What time did you have in mind? Might be worth the trek from Tulsa to meet some guys but would have to time it right with kids/wife.

Was thinking tee times around 9:30-10:00. What would be ideal for ya?

1 Like

That would be ideal.
Wonder if it will be summer or winter that day?

1 Like

Count me in on the 25th!

1 Like

Anyone have word on Buffalo Rock golf course up in Cushing, OK? Apparently a Perry Maxwell Course, showed up on sugarloaf hidden gem map. Thinking about checking it out. Any intel is appreciated.

Finally got around to creating a RACDG WhatsApp group/link: https://chat.whatsapp.com/GEopL4GfHsLAJduCxMXqvd

Re: the discussion in the other thread, I’m agnostic on how wide of a distribution this thing has (Reddit, etc.) but personal opinion is that all new members to the group should make an appearance on the Refuge in conjunction with joining the group. Thoughts?

P.S. Damn all of you that can play on a random Friday! Wish I could join on the 25th. Probably in DC for work but if not I’ll have to “be sick” to make that happen.

2 Likes

Thanks! I just downloaded the app and joined. We’ll def get out on the weekend soon!

1 Like

Never played it. I kNow it was purchased and upgraded by a local a few years back and then he died in a freak accident last year. It’s been bought again and is still open. I’ve heard good things but never made the trip to check it out.

Sorry, meant to reply to this earlier. So Buffalo Rock was/is my home course when I’m in back in town (college student in Norman at the moment), also worked there in HS. Way back in the day, it was one of the nicer courses in the state and hosted quite a few big state am events. Like @HaveOuimet said, a local businessman bought the defunct country club in 2015ish and put millions into the course/clubhouse. He unexpectedly passed away in 2018 and another local businessman bought from the his family

I was actually up there last weekend and played a few times. Course was in decent shape, but not the greatest. Since I can remember, the greens have always been over-watered and every summer, without fail, they develop a fungus and damn near die. They battled that again this summer, so the greens are slowly making their way back. Add in a few patches of bermuda grass-looking weeds on some of the greens and that’s a recipe for disaster. In July, it serious looked like they were going to lose several of the greens.

The course has done well to get them back into decent playing shape. The good thing is that the new owner also owns a local feed mill and has access to any fertilizer/pesticide he wants for cheap. Come spring, the course should look pretty good. Just need the grounds crew to get their act together.

Now, I wouldn’t necessarily describe Buffalo Rock as a “hidden gem” or whatever SSC calls it. It’s a public Maxwell course that’s in fair shape and that’s about it. If it isn’t too far out of your way I’d definitely go ahead and play it. Not going to be the greatest course you’ve ever played, but also won’t be the worst. I’m not a GCA expert, so I can’t comment too much on its Maxwell-ian elements. However, it’s got a few quirks (huge trees in the middle of fairways, concrete irrigation pond, etc) if you’re into that kind of thing. Also has a few pretty good elevation changes throughout the property. Not a long course by any means, but the wind can make it feel long, especially the par threes. I personally like the back nine better. It’s apparently the side that Labron Harris designed. 16, 17, and 18 are pretty good risk-reward holes.

Wes, the GM, is a great guy and works his ass off to keep that place running. He is the sole reason that the course didn’t go belly up under the previous owner. All the folks who are in charge now care a lot about the course and really want it to be something that the community can be proud of (same couldn’t be said before). As someone who grew up playing it every single day, I’m sure there is a lot that I’ve grown accustomed to and forgotten. Perhaps someone playing it for the first time mights be able to recognize and appreciate its character a bit more.

With all that being said, if you’ve got the time definitely check it out. At the very least you can say you’ve played and it stunk. Or maybe you’ll love it, idk. This all probably sounds negative but that isn’t my intent. I have some great memories at this place and truly love it (even the tree in the middle of hole 1 that blocks my tee shot every time). Sorry for the run-on sentences and comma splices, things started moving very quickly! If you or anyone has any other questions please don’t hesitate to ask. Also let me know if anyone ever wants to get out there, I would love to play my home track with some Refugees! Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

4 Likes

This is awesome. Thx for shedding some light on it. I had been wondering about going to play there as well

2 Likes