Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

I’m playing the Quarry in Canton at 9am and only have two in my group so 2 spots are still open on the Tee Time reservation screen fwiw

They are aerating the greens today, so its probably going to be in pretty rough shape still this weekend. Canton is a haul for freshly punched greens so this time I will have to pass. I do want to play this course though in the future.

second for getting a lesson - even if it’s something like a swing eval at GolfTec. Just nice to have another set of eyes for a beginner - good luck!

I did the swing eval at GolfTEC (won it in a charity auction). What I felt like was there is a GolfTEC template for how they want you to swing vs working with what you have and molding the teaching to you.

I base that on meeting a guy who did GolfTEC lessons and what he explained was the exact same thing they wanted me to do.

I agree with that. Their instructors are generally good at identifying what you are doing wrong and trying to get you to build a traditional golf swing. IMO, this is the equivalent of GolfTec instructors being a line cook in a kitchen versus a chef.

2 Likes

I agree with that take.

I think it’s finally time for me to do some lessons, but I need to figure out a teacher around SW Ohio. I’m tired of doing the same stupid things and expecting a better result.

If you find a good teacher in SW Ohio I would be interested in hearing how it goes. I am in the same area and interested as well. Frustrating to plateau in the low 80’s. Would like to spend a couple years in the 70’s before my age catches up.

1 Like

Add 20 strokes and you have me.

Unacceptable.

At that handicap if you are even a little athletic you will knock 10-15 off really quick fixing a couple things like grip and just thinking your way around the course. All the best!

Oh my biggest problem is between the ears. I can hit the ball, but I’m a mental midget.

i’d recommend making the drive up to Dublin to see Kyle Morris at the golf room. i’ve made the drive down from cleveland for lessons for myself and for my wife and found it to be extremely worthwhile.

1 Like

Honestly, though, you can do a LOT worse than GolfTec and the “paint by numbers” approach.

FWIW we teach online at evolvr .com and a number of Refugees are on there. But that’s my entire pitch, and I put a space between evolvr and .com so it didn’t create a link.

1 Like

I’ve been following him on instagram. That place is actually just up the road from where I grew up.

1 Like

I’ll take a look. Thank you.

And honestly I’m not trying to become scratch, I’m just looking to kick the ass of my old roommate and my brother. That’d be success in my book.

I have definitely been considering you guys. My only hesitation is finding somewhere to practice in the Cleveland area through the winter to make the online lessons worth it.

1 Like

Let me know if you have any questions. And regardless of your choice, good luck. I think you may find improvement can be addictive. At least, assuming you work with someone who can help you improve. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve got a great coach in northern Cincy, more than happy to recommend.

We will also be auctioning lessons with some great coaches for the Altamont.

3 Likes

Was looking to get a couple lessons early next year but also get my wife lessons for Christmas/Birthday gift. Will definitely grab that name from you at Avon in a couple weeks.

2 Likes

I have one in N. Ky. that I would recommend as well.

I’m still early in the process, but I’ve already seen a benefit from just two sessions.

Depending on where you are, 1899 Golf in Twinsburg/Solon is a great option. I went there a couple of weeks ago to check it out. The Trackman course simulator is just okay but the range feature was pretty good IMO. Proximity Lounge in Cleveland Heights is a newer place. And of course, there is always the Golf Dome in Chagrin Falls. Now sure what the options are on the west side.

1 Like