Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

I use one of those quarterback waist pouches. Branded by Titleist though. Works great. I tried and have a pair of Footjoy all weather gloves but I can’t make solid contact using them. Like I lose all depth control wearing them.

2 Likes

Throw a couple hand warmers in your pockets, too. They work wonders.

Forgot about these and how useful they might be. Amazon has some cheaper options including this one that has a zipper for a hand warmer for even more warmth!

Yea for sure don’t spend $40 on one. I think mine was $20 at the golf galaxy checkout kiosk. That is the right price.

I would be willing to play in the colder temps around Cleveland. Not familiar with what courses stay open but I would be down to meet up.

Yo hit me up sometime! I’m in maumee, there are a couple of us here in Toledo but they don’t get on here much.

For sure will. I’m trying to catch a nice day to get over to Stone Ridge before the end of the season. I’ll hit you up if I see it taking shape.

1 Like

Please do. I’m new to the area and have never been out there. Lemme know.

Stone ridge is fun. Lots of houses and kinda goofy routing but overall a good experience. Considering the public courses in the area it’s great.

Stone Ridge is really good IMO only thing it is missing is land movement (blame flat as a board NW Ohio) and location. Put it in Cleveland or Cbus and it gets rated as one of the best public courses in the state. Par 3’s and Par 5’s are all good. Only weak hole is the short Par 4 15th (from regular tees, tips it is much better golf hole) not really short enough to be drivable and to short to really cause any issue. Stretches out to 7000+ yds from tips and plays 6500+ from regular tees.

I played up in Toledo this summer, at Detwiler! I went to college at UT and played up there a lot. Heatherdowns, Ottawa Park, South Toledo GC, Maumee, Collins Park. I also caddied at Inverness for a semester and got to play a few times. Very solid golf in and around Toledo.

3 Likes

I’ve played Big Met a few times the past few years over the winter. Would be up for getting out with some of the NEO group this winter for those interested.

1 Like

I don’t care what anyone says, Ottawa park is probably one of the awesome short courses in the state. Just quirky and short as hell.

2 Likes

I like both of those things. Ottawa Park is great.
Big Met is a good winter course as long as it has been dry for a while, it can stay real mushy if it doesn’t see sun.

Had my lunch handed to me big time at Sleepy Hollow yesterday, first time playing there and couldn’t keep the driver on the planet. Was a pretty tough scene (and a very tough walk). I might be down to play in the colder months but I’m likely putting the sticks away soon to transition into finishing honey-do projects I put off all summer in my quest for a lower handicap

1 Like

I would be down for some winter golf in Cleveland.

1 Like

Played in this event over the weekend.

Courses: Eaglesticks was very nice, but really short (par 70). It was set up for ~ 6100 yards. Although it seemed short, was still able to hit driver most everywhere. Virtues was in great shape and set up for ~ 6,300 (par 72). Pace of play was decent, but we waited a fair amount.

Tournament: Played scratch better ball, which would be split into 3 flights after day 1 results were tallied. We finished +2 and were flighted into flight 1, 9 strokes off the lead. If we would have shot 2 strokes worse on day 1, we’d have been tied for the lead in flight 2. I don’t know the answer on how this should be set up, but this just seems like a weird way to do it.

Likes: (1) Playing two different courses, both being very nice. (2) Day 1, it felt like a tournament. They had pin sheets, we knew where we were starting (hole 4) so it was easy to track down our cart.

Dislikes: (1) They didn’t communicate well at all. After finishing day one they gave us a link to follow the results but didn’t get anything for day 2. Didn’t know what our starting hole was when we arrived so had to go on the hunt through 50 carts. (2) No pin sheet on day 2. (3) They kept all the same pairings from the first day. Would have liked to have mixed it up with someone new. (4) They used Golf Genius to run the tournament but didn’t utilize the electronic scoring feature. Makes no sense. (5) That flighting system seems shitty. It might be a one off instance where the disparity was greater than normal, but still seems odd.

1 Like

It seems like a better way to do the flighting would have been to just reset everyone’s scores after the first day. Maybe give a slight advantage to the people ahead. Sounds like it was a fun event though, even if Day 2 was kind of a let down. It sucks when you get hyped up for an event and then you show up and it was run like crap.

1 Like

Played Majestic Springs in Wilmington for the first time on Saturday. Really enjoyed the course. It was a fun layout and would definitely play again. Only $25 to walk ($39 with cart). The greens had just been aerated and were very shaggy/inconsistent because sand was lacking on many of the greens. Somewhat frustrating but no complaints because time of the year.

Only complaint is there were two/three-somes stacked around our group (4 walkers). We played at a solid pace for the first time 3 out of 4 were playing the course (2 hrs on the front and 2:05 on back) but seems like people were always kind of on us even though there was nowhere to really go in front of us.

3 Likes

A friend of mine plays there a lot but I’ve never made it to join him yet. I’ll have to push a little harder based on your review.