Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

Rumor is Gil Hanse coming into Denison in 21 and gonna restore some of it.

Hopefully gonna get rid of 16/17. Get that short par 3 back as a hole.

5 Likes

I hope they can do this and somehow still manage to keep tee times reasonably priced

2 Likes

This would one good thing that came out of the College buying the course. However if it’s to go private again, or have some sort of university restrictions to the public that would be a shame.

1 Like

I doubt that would happen since one of the key stipulations when the university acquired the course was that it would remain open to the public.

1 Like

Hey everyone! I am new here to the Refuge. Been a fan of NLU for a while now, pods, youtube, twitter. Finally entering the final frontier and getting on the forum.

Quick intro, my name is Alex Williams. I live in Lakewood, west-side of Cleveland. 30 years old, 5.6 index right now.

I have been golfing for 17 years, caddied for 7 years (Elyria Country Club and Inverness). I generally play in northern Ohio on weekend mornings, favorite courses are Hawk’s Nest, Mohican Hills, Sleepy Hollow, Valleaire, and Bunker Hill. Always looking for new courses and people to play with.

14 Likes

Welcome! I am also in Lakewood. Plenty of meetups around here and guys willing to play.

2 Likes

Relatively new to the scene as well - also on the west side of Cleveland (live in Westlake, office in Beachwood). Mid 30s with 2 kids and another on the way in the spring. I usually play with my Dad and his old man crew at the west side cow patch courses - would be nice to find a game with people more my age on nicer tracks

Just started really playing more seriously about 2 years ago, don’t carry an index but usually play off a 12-13 hdcp. Popped my 80 cherry last week with a 78 at Mallard Creek (don’t ever play there, it’s the worst). Played -1 through the front then cue the sad DJ Pie Strapped music as I faded rapidly

4 Likes

Which 9’s at Mallard? I migrate there for the winter as it’s always open but pretty much steer clear during the season as there are definitely better options. -1 through one of them is solid anywhere though!

Welcome to you both @flanwilder and @quicktempo

Another person who lives west and works east (I go Lakewood to Mentor every day)!

The west side does have a ton of weak courses. Gotta go south to find anything that has elevation and character, for the most part.

Played the “back 18” so holes #19-36 had my good nine on 19-27 which is apparently the more difficult nine

Played Elyria today and again tomorrow. First time there was today. I loved it! Tons of character, nothing flashy. Just a solid routing with spectacular greens.

Welcome to the Refuge!

I enjoy those two far more than 1-18. Second par 5 on the first of those 2 nines is a bear!

playing Sleepy next Friday to celebrate my birthday. Forest Hills in Elyria is underrated IMO - it’s really short but the conditioning is great for a Metroparks course, probably my favorite in that area (outside of private courses). Agree 100% that east/south have the much better options.

missed a makeable birdie putt, would’ve been a big boy birdie. I hate the first Par 5 on that nine - if you don’t hit it 280 down the right you’re screwed - need some tree removal. It’s a shame that the ownership group doesn’t put any $$$ back into the course for the amount of play it gets. Good outing course though

my old man claims Elyria is the best private on the west side, I’ve only played Lakewood CC and Beachmont on the east side.

1 Like

Yeah the Par 4 second hole running parallel to that first 5 is also a brute because of those same trees. Agree 100% on Forest Hills, Elyria CC’s little neighbor. Really solid condition and some difficult holes from the back tees.

Just played the back 9 at Sleepy this afternoon, greens are almost back from being punched so thinking they’ll be very nice by next Friday.

Sokolowski’s University Inn restaurant is closing permanently. Fuck you very much, 2020.

4 Likes

Lakewood is eastside?? That’s news to me. I haven’t played there and the west side of town is pretty light on golf. But I don’t think saying Elyria is the best on that side is a stretch. I’m trying to think what else is there. Would Sharon be considered west? Haven’t been there but I’ve heard it’s pretty good.

Beechmont is fantastic. I was lucky to play it a few times and it’s really, really good. I hope I can keep my handicap down so I can get out there for the US Open qualifying next year.

I was at Sleepy last week @Zachilroy. When it was blowing like 25-30. You could tell they were done somewhat recently but I thought they still rolled pretty well.

1 Like

Just a heads up, if anyone else is interested in playing in the Altamont at Avon Fields on 11/7 we have an open spot and probably a couple more opening up soon.

1 Like

Honestly Forest Hills might be the best value on the west side. $22 to walk on weekend mornings. Usually not too slow. Pretty good variety to the holes.

1 Like