Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

Agree with the takes on GC of Dublin. Over-priced in the abstract, but not based on market since it’s always slammed. Best think about it is they keep it firm and it plays comparatively easy so you can shoot a lower number than usual.

I’d push back on the take that Denison is overrated. It’s really good and competitively priced. Has rare topography for flat-ass central Ohio. And the reality imho is Columbus public golf is pretty bad compared to the private clubs. We just don’t have enough quality options to crap on Denison.

4 Likes

Played a little 36 hole Golftoberfest in the Nati today.

TPC in the morning.

Hit this to 3 ft for bird

Played Wetherington in the afternoon.

4 Likes

I love Pinnacle. If it was on the NW side of town I would legit wrestle with moving my membership.

2 Likes

I like GC of Dublin. I don’t play a lot of public courses in the area but I usually play there once a year. The GM (former head pro) is a good friend dating all the way back to when he was the head pro at Scioto Reserve. He is also the Honorary Head Pro of McDowall Country Club (aka the golf sim in my basement). :joy:

2 Likes

You know Jeff? I went to HS with him. Good guy.

Yep, really good friend of mine. Still have him do all my club fittings and play in the occasional Southern Ohio PGA Pro Am with him. He’s just a really great person.

1 Like

He also once held the long drive record at MCC with a 295 yard carry.

3 Likes

What’s your honest opinion of TPC River’s Bend?

1 Like

Oh I’m firmly in the ‘Denison is not overrated’-camp, I just think Delaware is a great pivot for those who aren’t enthralled with the place, or for golfers looking for a bit less of a drive from the city or W/SW burbs.

Delaware also boasts some very good topography for the area, and the Ross nine makes great use of it. Plus, I think the Hurzdan/Zoeller nine is actually really fun and well laid-out. It’s also much easier to get a tee time.

1 Like

@blackhammer: Do you have specific pairings set up for tomorrow?

I’ve got the Golf Gamebook set up, I just need to know who to put in which group.

1 Like

Need to get to Delaware. Have never played there.

3 Likes

Delaware is solid. Used to be private when I was growing up (Dornoch). Always in good shape. I’ve been out there 3 times this season. Some good holes. Worst part of the course is the range and the big ass tree in the middle of the fairway on 13. It’s like a Florida one where you hit into water.

1 Like

I enjoy playing there. Yesterday was my second time there…also played back in September '17. I’m not really a person who breaks down holes and design that much but it was in great shape. The greens were perfect. A lot of fun holes, although we played the 6,400 yard tees. Would definitely go back anytime. If I lived in Cincy I would definitely put it in the options of clubs to join.

1 Like

I don’t, I think there were 3 walkers for a group, we can go in order of sign up otherwise, I’ll download the app is there a code or event or something I should search for on there?

I know your question wasn’t directed at me, but I played TPC last year, and I think it is a pretty strong course, architecturally-speaking.

I’d have to go back to my spreadsheet for specifics, but I remember thinking well of it. I think it was $70 to play as a guest.

Also, we had 3 guys, and each played a different set of tees, from over 7,000 to right around 6,000 and it was fairly playable for all.

2 Likes

Let’s hope this is the weather that awaits us at Deer Ridge.

5 Likes

Okay, I have set up the pairings in order of the sign up sheet. For those that have already signed up for an account, I have pulled your profile into the game and when you click “Play Golf” tomorrow, our game will come up. For everyone else, you can join the game via a join code: 76470924

Tee times are under Pollhammer for check-in, see everybody tomorrow, let’s go launch ‘em

Looking forward to it! @Buck @Islandties it looks like we are paired up! I was debating walking but if you two are riding I’ll go ahead and ride too. Let me know what your planning and I’ll see y’all in the AM

I plan to ride.