Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

Someday, Dean… (stares longingly out the window)… someday…

They’re punching the greens today, so maybe if there’s a decent weather day in a few weeks after they grow back in?

1 Like

What are people’s thoughts on Tanglewood in Chagrin Falls? Playing it for the first time in a long time tomorrow morning.

Is anyone still setting up a get together around Columbus?

1 Like

It hasn’t rained much all year, nor in the last few weeks. No?

I’m a fan. I got it when it was really firm and fast last year. They did a HUGE tree removal project. Over 1000 were taken out. They also flipped the 9s. So that long par 4 along the road that is massively downhill is now 17 and not 8.

Warning: This is very long winded…like…I probably broke Refuge etiquette/guidelines/unwritten rules and I don’t blame you if you don’t read it or skip most of it.

So I read back through your review. I think the only thing I really disagree with and I’m not even sure it’s a disagreement. I don’t mind the third hole. Maybe it’s because I typically play it pretty well. I absolutely agree with you on 17. Those back tees are useless. Make it a 130 yard par 3 and be done with it. I’m jumping around a bit here. A bit of history on that area on 1. That used to be a hazard. It was overgrown. Last time I was out there it looked like it was being mowed down a little further. Maybe transitioning it into fairway? I don’t really know for sure but I don’t like the idea of having a 570 yard par 5 to start the day and not being able to rip driver. I’m not sure if you noticed on 8, but it looks like they started to create a new green to the right. There used to be a back tee for 9 there. 9 used to be a proper long par 4. Almost always into the wind.

As for the tees, I think the lack of maintenance is to keep people from playing back there. Not justifying it as that’s where I want to play from. But let’s be honest, a significant portion of the players there shouldn’t be anywhere close to those tees. When it first opened, there were 7400 yards that were playable.

From a design perspective, I thought he used the land really well. Oh, I just remembered. On 6, the right side used to be sand. That whole area that is now rough was a bunker. My guess is they didn’t think about drainage enough and it became quite costly to maintain. I don’t know when it was removed because I played it this year for the first time in a few years and was surprised. I always go left though because it’s a better angle. For public golf in this area, you don’t get that much land movement. That’s been reserved for the abundance of private clubs.

I do question a couple of his decisions in terms of maintenance. That course shouldn’t be playing as soft as it does. For example, the area between the cart path and green on 5. 3 months ago, Winged Foot would be jealous at how deep it was. Now it was quite trampled but I pulled a blade out of the ground and it was at least 9" long.

For me, Boulder Creek is a course that has all of the makings to be special. It could top the rankings lists. I feel like I repeat myself when talking about it because they just don’t do the little things right. I feel like there has been such a focus on the aesthetics that things like mowing/seeding tee boxes, trimming/weeding beds and tee signs, keeping rough areas mowed at a playable height aren’t considered essential. It always feel like there is a construction project going on. Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. But to me, it’s doesn’t ever seem to be something to benefit the golf. I mentioned my history there goes back to before opening day. I started working there in high school when just the range was open. It was an exciting time. There was all kinds of buzz. Like most courses, it needs a few years to mature. From my understanding, the first pro left due to conflicts with the owner. The assistant also left. That pro was shortly after that popping up on top instructor lists and the assistant had played at Ferris State. They lost a couple of good ones.

The next guy that came in…he was a nice guy. Unfortunately, I think he was a ‘yes man’. He was there for, I don’t know, 7-8 years or so and left. The owner then installed his daughter as the general manager. It wasn’t only until 2 , maybe 3 years ago that another professional was brought in to run it. This place has been micromanaged from the very top at every step of the way. There has never been an attempt at an instruction program. I take that back, the very first pro and assistant did lessons and there was an outside guy that used the range for his “academy”. But it’s been at least 12 years since instruction has been promoted.

Ownership/management has always viewed their course as a ‘destination’ but they have never brought in people that can bring that vision to life. In some ways I respect the DIY approach. Boulder Creek was built as a passion project. On the other hand, I can’t help but think there has been a missed opportunity. The truth is, if people are coming into NE Ohio for public golf, Boulder Creek probably isn’t the first course on the list. It could be.

Okay…I’m going to stop now. This is way too long and if you made it this far, I’m sorry.

3 Likes

I agree with the poor maintenance of the tees to keep people from playing back there. 99% of people should not be playing back there. Everyone wants to tee it back when they should be teeing it forward.

1 Like

Even the 6900 yard tees were poorly maintained. No black markers. The starter was dubious of us playing them.

Thanks for your post. I read it.

2 Likes

One of my biggest pet peeves. Unless you can consistently carry the ball 280+ and can score under 75, you have no business playing the tips on a course that is 7000+.

I played this morning at Deer ridge- my buddy insisted on playing the tips, he thinks it challenges him. He shot a 49 and went to the blues on hole 8.

1 Like

Deer Ridge was in really good shape this morning- greens were rolling phenomenal. They don’t aerate em till November so it’s a must play for the next month.

1 Like

That’s a great heads up. With the temps going down, the courses will start to clear out a bit. I have to imagine the colors out there for fall golf would be abundant

1 Like

Yea I should have taken some pictures, the trees were starting to really turn so it was looking good. We were the 2nd group off at 740, done at 11. Perfect morning to play.

1 Like

October 10-13 my wife is out of town and I have Monday/Tuesday off of work. Looking to play 18-36 holes everyday for all of those days if anyone is interested in playing. I am willing to drive a bit to check out new courses. I live in NE Ohio right inbetween Akron and Cleveland.

The narrow corridors and severely sloped greens will get you if you aren’t on your game. Played there Sunday morning (blues) with a bunch of us as single digit handis…nobody broke 80. Some of the pin positions turned relatively short birdie looks into bogeys.

1 Like

The greens are very challenging. It’s very hard to make putts consistently out there since balls snap so hard. Number 4s green is absolutely brutal- you must land everything on right side and it feeds it to the left side.

Number 10s green has like 4 pinable locations. I had 160 in and I just play to the back of the green. Ball hit back of the green, rolls 25 ft down the hill to about 12 ft below the hole. I missed the birdie but unless you have played it a bunch, you wouldn’t see how you could play that.

2 Likes

How’s their merch sourcing?

Comin’ back in hot, the Cincy event threw a wrench into the hashtag process, but based on the feedback from the polls a bit back:

For Whom The Bellville Tolls
What - Refuge Quota Game
Where - Deer Ridge Golf Club, Bellville Ohio
When - Sunday October 11th, first tee time 9:10
Who - Possibly you! 4 tee times so far, others subject to availability so sign that ass up below
Why - Why not, really

Misc: Greens fees $54, bar and restaurant in the clubhouse, would be a bear of a walk but do what you feel, fun/ky layout on the front with big elevation changes and a little more conventional on the back

3 Likes

Damn it. That’s the one upcoming date I booked elsewhere. Anyone want to do a practice round the day before?

Screw it. I dumped my other plans. I’m in.

3 Likes

Damn. I’m unable to make it. My next few weekends are not available. I can possibly be available for a practice round as well on the 4th or 5th?