Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

4 Likes

Hat to head ratio on fleek. Tron ready for the Tiki at the Kiki? Who can say?

1 Like

dropping this in here if any of y’all wanna come to Diamond Springs! gonna be a blast!

2 Likes

Relaxing evening golf at Echo is an awesome way to spend a summer evening.

1 Like

So since all of you Ohio people visit Hilton Head annually, can we get you guis and gals to coordinate so we can all meet up for some sort of golf with GA and SC versus OHIO? Big 10 versus SEC. Could be fun

5 Likes

The vacation rental prices in HH right now are YIKES.

1 Like

The “insert pretty much anything” prices in “insert pretty much anywhere” are YIKES

2 Likes

The Wife and I wanted to get away to Charleston and everything is so out of whack we just can’t.

Dude, I had to book a hotel in rural Indiana for this weekend, and the one we stayed at last year for the same event is 60-70 bucks more expensive this year. Cheapest non-roach motel was like 175 a night. Rural indiana!

1 Like

Got 1 spot that just opened for Sleepy Hollow at 7:50 tomorrow. Let me know ASAP if someone wants it.

Going to give it til around 6 til I call to cancel the spot.

1 Like

Official moving to the Dayton area in the next month. As part of the negotiation process with the wife, we settled on a golf membership. Are there any places for a normal person to seek out or avoid? I am not against a “membership” at a public course, but only if it still has the benefits of quicker rounds.

5 Likes

What part of town are you looking at? Dayton has a surprisingly deep roster of good clubs and public golf.

3 Likes

Not really set on an area. We have been focusing on Beavercreek/Bell brook/Centerville, Spingfield Township, or potentially Vandalia/Clayton. Housing inventory stinks.

1 Like

So I grew up in Kettering, but haven’t lived in the area for a while, there are some other Dayton guys around here that I’m sure can provide a more current perspective, but recommendations in no particular order:

Kettering/Oakwood

Moraine & NCR - top of the heap and priced accordingly, if these are within your budget they are the choices bar none.

Dayton CC - shorter old school Ross design, solid club overall.

Centerville/Springboro

Yankee Trace (public) - Big facility, 3(?) solid nine hole layouts, usually busy, but not sure how pace would be.

Sycamore Creek CC - solid club that seems to trend younger for membership. Course won’t blow you away but there are some good holes, and it’s a course that will test your game and make you better. Had a buddy join about 2-3 years ago and really likes it there.

Beavercreek/Bellbrook

Beavercreek (public) - nice course, would think pace could be tough.

Sugar Valley CC - Probably most similar to Sycamore, good course/club, my wife’s cousin is a member and likes it.

Country Club of the North - Stereotypical Nicklaus design country club.

Springfield

Springfield CC - Best bang for the buck, excellent course and the facilities are great for what/where the club is. Only downside is it’s a bit outside of the Dayton area. All said though one of the best options.

I’m probably forgetting a few, and like I said some of the other Dayton guys (cc @jobu415 @golf4miami) can give you a more up to date POV, but those are the clubs I’d be looking at in the area.

3 Likes

First of all, welcome to Dayton. I’ve been here since I started college at UD. If you have any questions or whatever don’t hesitate to reach out. I’m happy to help.

Second, I write all of this with a Kettering/Centerville bias. It’s where I’ve lived since college. It’s where my Wife lived and grew up.

PUBLIC:
In my opinion the best public courses in the area are Yankee Trace, Heatherwoode, Pipestone, Beavercreek, and Shaker Run in that order. Cassel Hills exists up in Vandalia but I’ve never played it because I seldom go north of downtown other than to go the airport. I really want to play Meadowbrook GC but it’s in a pretty threadbare part of town and I just haven’t made it up there.

My 3 favorite courses in the area to go play with friends and just enjoy are Community, Jamacia Run, and Mound (9 hole). Community is the true muni in this list.

That all being said. If pace of play is your number one desire, none of these courses are going to be where you want to focus on. IF you want to play fast, you’re going to have to go private.

Private
My kids go to one of the local private schools and I will tell you there is a pretty even split between Sycamore Creek and NCR in terms of membership. Like @Creags said NCR is the big dog in terms of private courses in the area. I did hear from some of the Dads that in the pandemic that it was filled to the brim and it was tough to get on the tee sheet. Sycamore Creek allegedly only has 4 open slots before a waiting list. NCR is also the only 36 hole private course. Everywhere else is 18.

The older members of my parish all tend to be members at Sugar Valley. I started looking into joining there last year before my house broke and I needed to spend my CC$$ on home repairs. I think it would be considered the “starter” country club in the area. You can’t mention Sugar Valley around here without mentioning this incident John Stafford cited with aggravated menacing for allegedly threatening golfers with gun

Walnut Hills CC is a fine option to join but I don’t know much about it. I talked to someone at the Findlay NLU event last year who said he looked at both Sugar Valley and Walnut Hills and thought Walnut Hills was a better course.

From what I hear DCC has great bones but needs a renovation. I’m going to play it this summer. Will report back. I have a friend who is a member there and her family loves it. Her husband plays literally every day.

CCN: Exists. It’s out there in B-creek. I know nothing about it

MVCC. Also in a threadbare part of town. A local family that owns a trucking company bought it a few years ago as their personal club and I hear they’ve done good things.

If you’re a true golf sicko/architecture wonk and you can afford it then honestly the answer in Moraine CC. Recently renovated. Amazing course. Best caddie program in the area (s/o @Creags). The first private course everyone mentions around here is NCR. But it probably should be Moraine.

That’s what I got from a high level. There are also public/private options in Springfield and Middletown that are not bad drives. I personally play in Springfield a lot and meet people from Columbus halfway.

Now off to loop for my son. Like I said, if you have any questions or want to go check these out. I’m happy to help. Welcome

6 Likes

I’m honestly not totally sure what more I could offer than what @jobu415 and @Creags did here. Pretty much all the golf I’ve played locally has been public so I cannot really add to the private discussion.

I will say that Cassel Hills was my jam growing up since I lived north of town. It was my absolute favorite course through middle and high school. Two distinct nines make it a fun play, if a bit disjointed. Both 18 hole courses at Community can be fun for different reasons, but if you want a fast round you’ll want to be there as the sun comes up or is going down.

My under-rated favorite for the area has to be Mound in Miamisburg. It’s definitely a Muni, and is short in length because of how old it is, BUT it was designed by the same guy who did Moraine and the bones are still there. Very interesting course.

2 Likes

This is the 4th time my Son has ever been out on a golf course. He was getting pissed off that he wasn’t flagging approach shots. Back to the range to shallow out that swing and gain some confidence.

2 Likes

Got around sleepy in 3:50 today. This was the most fun I ever had there. Greens were tough but not unfairly fast. The ball was bouncing and rolling out so you had to play to the contours in the fairway/greens. All around good morning.

7 Likes

It’s so fun when it’s firm and fast. I love when you can play the ball on the ground. Not often we get to use some imagination.

I love getting to use some imagination. Plus as a poofer the bounce helps me to not have such long shots into the greens

1 Like