Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

Two of my favorite accessible tracks around Columbus are Blacklick Woods and Darby Creek. Any thoughts on those?

1 Like

I like Darby. Played it for years- Some good holes. I haven’t played Blacklick in a long time so can’t recall it.

1 Like

Love Darby outside of the 90 degree hole over the pond (8?)…things get real TIGHT on a few of those back 9 holes. Great driveable par 4 on the front (5?) and the par 5 after I enjoy.

Blacklick is my favorite public course in Columbus city limits. Very walkable (outside of trips up and down the ridge on the back 9) and I love how they use the ridge on the back 9 for some fun tee shots. $25 walk during the week for Franklin Co residents. Plus, they allow dogs and I’ve taken my golden retriever out there and it’s the best of all worlds, I get to play golf, she gets to fetch and get tired.

2 Likes

Blacklick is honestly a gem. It’s cheap. It’s usually in pretty good condition. The layout is solid. No houses.

Valley of the Eagles was a great value, fading country club before when it was SVGC. Rawiga North (but not as good).

Now - it just sucks. Not as bad as Corkscrew sucks (since we’re throwing rocks at the Bolden Gear), but it sucks.

It’s nowhere in the neighborhood of Pine Hills, Sleepy, Manakiki, etc in terms of quality.

I never played Spring Valley when it was private and have never played Valley of the Eagles. But the public version of Spring Valley was amazing for a few years. They were only charging $30-$40, which obviously wasn’t sustainable and conditties fell off a cliff after about 3 years. But it was a great run while it lasted.

I liked the old layout and never understood why they blew it up. It just needed some TLC. Turns out building an island green in the middle of the Black River wasn’t such a great idea?

Also, this article does a good job outlining the ownership “situation.”

2 Likes

I have opinions. I will preface this by saying it’s in my town. I’ve been there since the beginning and worked there when it was still just a range. I was the range attendant/outside help on opening day when the front 9 opened as the back wasn’t complete yet. I’ve seen this place evolve and some of these observations are based on my experience there.

The key to Boulder is starting in the first hour and hoping they aren’t sending 9 holers off the back. Boulder Creek, in my opinion, has potential to be something special but has been mismanaged from the beginning. The owner designed it and it’s his one and only. I would bet he had a consultant because the routing and overall design is fantastic. None of the holes are the same and while the par 3s are all relatively close to the same yardage, they are all so different that it doesn’t matter. A huge range and a short game area and room for expansion. For a public course, built in a suburb, in the current century, you really can’t ask for any better setup.

However…

While I respect the constant work in an attempt to always better the course, it feels like every time I’m there I’m playing in a construction zone. They have closed some tee boxes (at 7500 yards from the tips, it’s probably a good idea for daily play and full tee sheets) and have been constructing a new green on 8. Seems like it’s taken a long time and I don’t even know if it’s open yet. Last spring I was there, it had been shaped but not seeded. It was that way the fall before. So if it’s open, I have no idea.

It’s such a big property and there was such an effort from the beginning to add aesthetic beauty to the property, that over the years, a lot of those features have been neglected. I haven’t seen the giant rock waterfall feature operational in years. A couple of design features have been replaced since it opened. Most specifically, the right side of 6 was a “Great Hazard” bunker that has been removed and seeded to create a giant rough area. While I don’t like that, the swale area on 1 was a lateral at opening and later seeded over to create playable space. A much needed change but I would’ve made it fairway. The stone pillars/rock areas for tee signs at one time in the last couple of years had tall weeds growing around them. Some areas of rough have been unmowed at times. Maybe it was wet? But I’ve seen some areas, around greens, that had maintained grass that was over 10 inches long. So long that it couldn’t stand up and was matted down. On the other end of that, they still have some thin areas in places.

Then there is the issue of customer service. It is a place that can feel very cold and unwelcoming. Especially to a higher handicap player. If you don’t carry yourself as a great player or someone from a more affluent upbringing, there is a chance you will be met with resent and/or apathy. I’ve heard stories of people being told that “we have much better players than you out here” and issues are disregarded. It can feel, at times, like they treat it as an upscale private club that is opened to the public and that the customer should be thankful they were granted the privilege of playing there. Most of the employees, grounds crew included, look like they would rather be anywhere but there. The consistent turnover of management (operations and grounds) in the last 20 years could be evidence that it’s true. They have had PGA pros but no real PGA affiliation. Definitely not in the instruction department. Every pro has been run out or jumped at another opportunity as soon as possible. Including the most recent who accepted a position a week before opening day last season.

I’ll end by saying this…The course is generally in great shape. The design is interesting, engaging, and can be a lot of fun to play. A modern design without playing through a housing development is a rarity anymore. With all of my complaints, it’s still rated as one of the better public options in the state. I truly believe that it can be more. Having a pro and an assistant or two to provide instruction, fittings, and merchandising can bring in so much more revenue but it’s never been an option. It’s an example of how micromanaging can go wrong.

/endrant

3 Likes

3 spots available for Sleepy on May 8 at 7:50. Let me know if you want the spots

I agree. Even getting out as an early tee time on a weekday as been killer. I have not finished my round the past 3 attempts to play Boulder. I enjoy the course, but I think after my last 3 hour 9 holes there after an early morning tee time with no ranger out there to get the groups ahead of me going is what finally lost them my business. I don’t plan on setting up a tee time there this summer.

The owner might want to hop on this page for the overall feedback like some other club presidents do.

2 Likes

This!! I really liked this course. Walked it on a weekend I think for under 30 bucks. The holes down in the valley were maybe the easiest walk I’ve had since joining the PCM, but not uninteresting. @flanwilder and I discussed getting out there this season. Will definitely be in the cards.

Also, 3 spots at Seneca are open next Saturday at 7:40. A couple pod matches, including myself going off at 7:30. @waver82 has one of the 7:40 spots claimed.

3 Likes

Sold for one if still available

It’s yours

2 Likes

@quicktempo making sure we’re being repped at sleepy now.

11 Likes

My buddy and I (we worked in Sheffield at Brookside HS at the time) played SVCC a lot in its last days before the Golden Bore redid it.

For 25 bucks for 18 and a cart (2010ish prices, but still) it was unreal. It had great bones, some of the valley holes got wet if it had been raining, the first hole was a bit of a shitshow, and the 18th was a major bummer… other than that, you got some fantastic holes, tricky, true greens, and usually a course without a ton of traffic, quiet and peaceful.

And, those drives up the crumbling cart paths to a few of the hillside holes used to get that adrenaline pumping, too lol

The new course is overpriced for what it truly is, and not that great. Lorain County isn’t a hub for good public golf, but the old SVCC was a hidden gem.

Still - VoTE is like Diamond Springs compared to LoCo turds like Grey Hawk and Sweetbriar…overpriced, housing play courses with as much character as a remodeled Holiday Inn.

Any members of Westfield cc here? Debating joining and would love to hear about the membership.

Howdy folks. Only been playing for a year. Got into the game after my cancer diagnosis as a way to heal after surgeries and chemo. Was introduced to NLU during my treatment and want to jump all in. Currently closing in on 6 months cancer free.

Would love to tack on anywhere I can and learn the game and join this great community. Currently reside just north of Columbus. Play a decent amount at Village View in Hartford, Tablerock in Sunbury, and looking for a few more courses to try out.

Handicap flirts with the high teens, low 20’s. Would love to know how to get more involved.

Jake Trego

26 Likes

Welcome! First and foremost, congratulations on being cancer free for six months!

I was also a very high handicap when I found this group and not only found others with similar golf ability but was welcomed with open arms by low and high caps alike. Check out The Crappyshack if you want to talk about the plight of the high cap.

We recently started a local group for Ohio with upcoming events in Findlay on 5/14 and Cleveland on 6/4. I believe there are open spots for both events if you are interested. You can sign up for the group here Ohio Against The World - Google Sheets.

9 Likes

Welcome! Great to hear your story and awesome that you are cancer free!

I’m in Columbus (UA) as well, along with a solid number of guys in the OATW roost. Always looking for new people to play with in the area. Like @methridge said check out the roost sign up and events as well, great way to meet people and #getinvolved.

6 Likes

Ditto to everything here, our roost has 115 folks in it and so far @OTPLefty is the only asshole I’ve found. In all seriousness, we’ve got a good thing going and the beauty of it all is I don’t see it stopping.

We’d love your company!

10 Likes

Joined. Thank you!

2 Likes