Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

NEO guis–

Have 3 slots open for an 8:10am tee time on Thursday 6/30 at Sleepy Hollow. Any weekday folks, or those starting their July 4th weekends early, and want to join - just shoot me a message.

Also, advertising for a good cause here, but First Tee of Cleveland has their annual charity auction live right now (closes Thursday 6/23 at noon) with items including rounds at some pretty awesome tracks in NEO and beyond:

• Muirfield Village
  • Pepper Pike Club
  • The Country Club
  • Canterbury
  • Mayfield CC
  • Kirtland CC
  • Sand Ridge
  • Shaker Heights CC
  • Beechmont
  • Firestone (West)
  • Double Eagle
  • Westfield
  • and more

Plenty more, both golf and non-golf items (e.g., wheelbarrow full of liquor, date night at L’Albatros, zoo membership, etc.)

6 Likes

Cincinnati folks - late notice but I’m in town from Pittsburgh for the week for work, hoping to maybe get out and play some golf in the next few days. Any suggestions on somewhere I might be able get out and walk? For reference, I am working across the river near Covington and staying near Oakley.

Good stuff on the auction, if anyone is interested in going in on a round let me know.

1 Like

Unless you can get out in the afternoon, weeknight golf will be tough since most courses have leagues every night. But check out Avon Fields, Reeves or California if you can get out early.

Explains why a few places I found had no tee times listed past 2-3pm for the next few days. Will look into those, thanks!

Would definitely go in on a 4some. New to the area so I’d love to see some of the top tier stuff in cleveland.

2 Likes

I live in Buffalo but to play some of these nice courses, I’d likely go in on a foursome

2 Likes

Did you make it out?

We did - great summer evening 9 with @CorneliousPoon and @MDM. Like you said, Kiki was spicy with firm conditions tee to green. A few good tee shots were too good, and trickled into hazards or OB after lots of roll out.

Noteworthy highlight of the day was that each one of us was a collective -1 on the par 3s. Birdie-par from @MDM and par-birdie for @CorneliousPoon and me.

Didn’t see ya or I would have given a shout!

2 Likes

I think I saw you guys on 1 when we were teeing off 7. Wasn’t sure though because the times didn’t seem right.

Shoutout to @quicktempo and his buddy for finishing ITM at the NOGA net 4-ball yesterday at Lake Forest CC. @blackhammer and I had a solid ham-and-egg front nine but lost steam around #12, playing 12-15 in 3-over. We recovered and finished strong, playing the last 3 in 3-under (including the hammer flirting with an ace on 18!) to finish two out of the money.

As for the course, I think I net out that it’s….ok? It was fine, had some cool greens. But didn’t leave me dying to come back. I liken it to trying a restaurant for the first time—the meal was fine, no major complaints. But I’ll try other new places before coming back.

5 Likes

Also, I posted this in the WhatsApp, but signups for the Westfield event on Monday 7/25 start on 7/4. If any refugees sign up it’d be cool to get paired together, which they’ll do if we ask.

I agree with everything Joe said about LFCC. It was exactly what a standard old school midwest country club always is. Apparently they have put a ton of money renovating their pool/wedding areas that are right on the lake in the last couple years. Hopefully they put some of the future money into the course. New cart paths (gravel in a lot of spots), and maybe some more consistent fairways. Some really cushy and some firm, different grass types. And I am not an agronomist. The greens were pure though, did exactly what you think they are going to do, a good putter could make a lot of putts there if they get used to the breaks.

1 Like

Hey folks, didn’t think this would happen, but I snuck into the US Am qualifier at Camargo. I was #2 on the waitlist as late as this afternoon, so maybe they allowed a few more spots?

Anyway, I’ve never played in a USGA event, or at Camargo, so if any of you can give me some noobie info, please DM me.

Thanks

13 Likes

Glad to see that you got in!
DM sent as I’m in the field as well. I think @holeout is playing as well (?)

4 Likes

Hey guys, NLU is coming home (kinda). I’m incredibly proud to see this one come together and get off the ground. Springfield is my favorite course in Ohio and this will be an awesome event. For those that don’t know, Randy’s from Cincy, Soly’s from Columbus and Tron/Neil had family in Springfield and visited all the time.

3 Likes

This event sounds awesome. Couldn’t be a worse weekend for me personally, but I’m sure the turnout is going to be insane for something of this scale. Whenever the Skyline-inspired tee gift/merch hits the SR I’ll be on it.

4 Likes

Having just been out at Springfield CC to volunteer for the US Open qualifier there, I really want to be able to swing this. However, having just closed on a house I’m not sure I can afford something like this right now.

Cannot wait to see all the pictures though.

4 Likes

Love this take. Played it last year. It’s one heck of a course.

2 Likes

It might not be the best course in Ohio but it’s my favorite. An absolute gem of a course. Also, my dad has no fashion sense.

5 Likes