Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

Hilton Head is our family’s southern capital. Has been since I was 7-8.

@ZekeH5 and I were actually talking about this a few weeks ago, trying to figure out how that began exactly. The island must have had a killer mailer campaign in the early 90s

2 Likes

Afternoon boys- Was in the OSU brain and spine hospital last week doing my seizure sleep study. Had 6 seizures while at the hospital and my neurologist said I have left temporal focal epilepsy and all my seizures are happening where my memory is located on my brain.

If these new meds don’t help, I’m fucked.

7 Likes

Scottsdale is applying to be a commonwealth

That…sucks man.

2 Likes

Yea I was reading up on it if the meds don’t help. Surgery, which I don’t want. I smoke copious amounts of weed, so that helps surpress em. But it’s the memory loss, then the dementia that’ll get me.

3 Likes

Yeah, if anyone could recommend a book or article about how particular areas became the getaway destinations for various regions, the geography, history, and infrastructure dork in me would enjoy that.

2 Likes

Damnit. I don’t know if it was on here or Twitter or what, but I do think the Carolina’s had some kind of specific marketing campaign toward this part of the Midwest back in the 80’s that resulted in a lot of Ohian’s vacationing there. Gotta do some digging

5 Likes

Was at the Jackets game last week and they had an in arena entertainment/game sponsored by a central Florida city named Lakeview or something. Maybe that’s the new Hilton Head?

That was just a Lakeview, Ohio Trojan horse. Enjoy the sites and luxury of Old Field Beach, at Ohio’s largest man-made lake!

3 Likes

I thought Grand Lake was the largest?

1 Like

It probably is. Indian lake was at the time it was built, I think, and so people still would say it all the time when I was growing up

Throwing this in as a general bump but for those new here. Here’s the OATW signup sheet. Holy fuck we are at 150.

6 Likes

And here’s the slack channel.

Join me on Slack – it’s a faster, simpler way to work. Sign up here, from any device: Slack

3 Likes

Findlay signup will be live early next month. You’ve been warned.

8 Likes

Visited Proximity Golf Lounge in Cleveland Heights today. What a cool place. I got an hour on a simulator through Golfnow for $20. Staff was super friendly, helpful, and in no hurry to kick me out.

Do recommend.

1 Like

Looks like they use a Full Swing sim system, how did it do? I’ve always been wary of the optical systems but don’t know much about the infrared it allegedly uses.

I’ve been there. It definitely is no trackman but it’s fun. If you’re looking to hit balls and play sim golf it’s fun. If you’re looking to get stats and grind it’s probably not the place to go.

Unfortunately it’s a bit out on the east side but I’ve been going to the Golf Dome recently and have enjoyed the experience. They have some trackman bays available but at a minimum it makes a huge difference to see the start of the ball flight.

Always wanted to check this place up. Looks like a step up from X Golf and would be a good hang spot for off season.