Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

Just did some internet sleuthing on this place as it predates my time in Columbus. I drive by that area a ton and had no idea it was previously a course. Seems the moral of the story is if you’re going to use a golf course to seal a dump, really make sure it is sealed.

5 Likes

I found an Indian Springs GC scorecard the other day. It’s been closed for years out in Mechanicsburg. Place was always one of my favorites.

We’d play Phoenix a shit load when I lived in Hilliard years ago. When it was windy, place was tricky

3 Likes

Go way back and check out how Dublin Bridge park used to be in the 80s/early 90s. Used to be a golf course/driving range called Bash and a few businesses. Shout out to the Rax and Mark Pi’s express

3 Likes

RIP :pensive:

1 Like

I grew up splitting my time between Bash and the place out on Avery Rd.

1 Like

I’d go to the Avery road range as well once I got older. It’s crazy to see that area now with all the apartments

When I was in HS I worked at the Special Tee golf that was attached to the pro shop. All that area is so different.

When we first moved to Columbus my Dad would go around and tell us all the places that used to be corn fields and I’d roll my eyes. Now when I go back I do the same damn thing to my kids.

3 Likes

I do that when i drive back up to my parents. The amount of spaces that were just open field, non developed that are now apartments, subdivisions, suburban sprawl is wild.

4 Likes

I worked at the Special Tee on Sawmill during my fifth year of college. I had two more quarters of school after my eligibilty was used up. That’s what first got me interested in golf. Good times!

1 Like

I floated around between all of the locations. I was actually mainly sawmill but I did a lot over at Avery, some at Henderson Rd, and even some clear out in Gahanna.

The older guys that founded the place were alright. The son was sketchy as heck.

2 Likes

I worked at special tee as well in college. 99-00 summers. Henderson, Sawmill and the new one that opened up off 23 at the time.

Al Hazen had a good business sense, he knew that 23/315 area would blow up with people and he was right.

The son was an asshole- He’d fit people into certain clubs to make commissions that wouldn’t fit em properly. No wonder why when he took em over they all closed down.

2 Likes

Bellefontaine had one up until like 5 years ago. Weirder part is that it had just opened like 5 years before that

Worked at Indian Springs during and after college, played in a league there up until it closed. In its heyday was one of the best public courses in Ohio. The closing 3 holes could be a nightmare, we called them “Hell’s Highway”. I get sad everytime i drive by there on my way home and see it overgrown. Herb Bash the original owner also owned Bash’s driving range where Bridge Park is now

4 Likes

Before the Ashe bore disease took down so many trees out there, it was an incredibly tough course off the tee. The last 3 holes were so tricky. Tough tee shots on all 3, extremely fast Donald Ross like green on 17.

When it was 27 holes, it was so good.

1 Like

Very true, #17 was neutered on the right side by trees dying, towards the end you could blow it over the dogleg and get damn close to the green. On on the green though the work really started. The new 9 was so different but good in in own right, wide open and big greens. I miss that place a ton

1 Like

We could definitely set up a 16- or 20-man outing. Maybe when @Randy is in town.

The newly restored course at Maketewah is going to be really good.

6 Likes

Bumping this, I want to see someone go low at Reeves in April.

4 Likes

When is reopening

Hoping for late April, but could be mid May.

1 Like

Need a little advice going to pick up a driver buying used looking at TaylorMade m6, sim, or sim 2. To anyone whose played one or all of them what’s the better or worse of the bunch?