Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

Great to hear! Was wondering if you’d seen all the developments. Hope to see you this summer!

1 Like

Physical therapy 3x a week. Still can’t lift anything over 10lbs. Lots of core and leg work. I can walk small distances without my cane, but strength is still not there. I can make practice swings without the club.

Every day I wake up feeling blessed I’m alive.

14 Likes

I remember this being discussed on here recently but I’m having trouble finding it.

What are the good practice/simulator spots in NE Ohio again?

The Clubhouse in Beachwood is good.

1 Like

Hitterz in North Ridgeville

3 Likes

Tiki signup is live

9 Likes

I got a copy of Tom Doak’s Confidential Guide Vol. 3 - The Americas (summer destinations) for Christmas and thought some of y’all might like to see some of his Ohio course reviews, including at least one course hosting an event. I’ll put the Doak Scale, too, since it’s helpful and hilarious.

I played Denison once in college (I went to school in NE Ohio) and found the “three banal holes” to not be quite as ruinous to the overall course as Doak does – but he’s a lot harsher than me. There’s a sweet two page spread on Fowler’s Mill, which is a course I love. Had to throw Camargo in – I’m a Raynor fanboy.

You may need to open the images in a new tab and zoom in to read the text.

Doak Scale:

Denison:

Fowler’s Mill:

Inverness:

Brookside:

The Country Club:

Camargo:

Kirtland:

11 Likes

I got it as well. Found volume 5 for 50 bucks on eBay. Now just need the other 2.

2 Likes

Very cool. What other Ohio courses are in the book?

There’s a bunch but unfortunately the book doesn’t list them out anywhere otherwise I’d post a screenshot of the ToC

I’d like to formally request Moraine since it is the site of the match play final and a sick ass course.

3 Likes

Doak actually hasn’t seen it. But Ran has.

Note that 8/10 is “worth a special trip to see” so I guess I’m heading to the range daily come rain, snow, or whatever to sharpen up before the matchplay starts.

6 Likes

As we have touched on a few times in this thread, it’s an absolute treat. I am starting to love it more than Camargo but need more reps at each to take a firm stance.

2 Likes

I need some rich friends.

14 Likes

That’s also an 8/10 BEFORE the restoration (based on the picture). Wow.

Edit: Just confirmed. Looks like the restoration was completed in 2016. So they saw it just before it underwent that transformation.

2 Likes

Cincy Shakedown field has been extended to 48, still a few spots left.

3 Likes

Didn’t Doak restore Camargo? I’m itching to get there, huge Raynor fan. Fox Chapel, the closest Raynor to me, chose The Faz to do theirs… which—maybe surprisingly—actually turned out quite well imho. Would have loved to see what Doak did with it though.

2 Likes

A reminder or note. Anyone that is a member at a nice club willing to host a semi or other notable match for the ohio match play tournament reach out to myself or @golf4miami . Something in SW Ohio and NE Ohio would be pretty awesome. (assuming a person playing in the match doesn’t need to play somewhere specific).

3 Likes

I was invited to play Carmago a few years back but was going to Cancun for a wedding that same god damn week.

Still have never played Scioto or Double Eagle for the Columbus Uber private courses.

1 Like

For all the SWOH folks - if anyone has a hookup to play Moraine, I’d love to get on there.

I lived right by Hills and Dales for YEARS, also done by Nipper albeit with more of a Strapped ambiance, but at the time I wasn’t playing golf (I stopped during undergrad and didn’t pick it back up again until I moved back to Cleveland in 2009). I’d like to plan a Dayton trip, see old friends and haunts, and build it around a round at Moraine along with some beer and bluetooth speaker golf at Hills and Dales. I’m sure NCR is great, too, but Moraine seems like more of my jam.