Roll Call: Nashville (Spring Match Play Post 1319)

We are in Hermitage. Have two basketball size holes in our roof but we are in much better shape than our neighbors. Thankful it wasn’t worse.

5 Likes

I’m interested in hearing about the Two Rivers muni league. I think this is the most underrated public course in greater Nashville. No one talks about it, ever. One of the few Nashville courses not actually in a river flood plain. Drains well, great undulation, especially the stretch from 10-14. Pro shop staff is nicest amongst the Nashville muni’s.

3 Likes

Also live in Nashville - Fairgrounds adjacent. I just joined the Refuge as I was introduced only recently to NLU. I mostly play weekends, about 1 a month. Ted Rhodes is my favorite Muni, best greens, front nine is excellent and some awesome holes on the back as long as its dry.

Yes, Two Rivers is the most “fun” of the munis in my mind because it has some interesting holes for sure, pretty decent greens, not a ton of trouble and with the wind on some holes can play a lot of different ways. I would say Harpeth Hills and Ted Rhodes play more difficult and I think Ted Rhodes has some great holes as well. The issue with both Ted Rhodes and Two Rivers is that you can get stuck behind some incredibly poor golfers. No one asked but my ranking of the most enjoyable munis would be:

1. Ted Rhodes (a good challenge with all the water, good greens, strategic Par 5s on the back)
  2. Two Rivers (fun golf course without a ton of danger, very walkable layout, greens are much improved, Hole 11 is beautiful)
  3. Harpeth Hills (very good greens for a muni, plays the longest, requires a number of shots, can be tough to walk, some boring holes though, Hole 4 is one of my favorite holes in Nashville)
    (big dropoff)
  4. McCabe (27 holes but the conditioning is not great because the course gets so many rounds played on it, can hit it almost anywhere on most holes and be fine, several driveable 4s if that is your thing, some very boring holes)
  5. Percy Warner (basically an executive course but a fun 3 club challenge course, I played my first rounds there so it holds some sentimental value, Hole 2 is one of the more absurd doglegs I have ever played)
  6. Vinny Links (exec course, good for beginners and iron play, well maintained)
  7. Getting hit by a bus
  8. Shelby (some really bad holes, bad conditioning, a few shootings have occurred, but the 10th hole is nice)
4 Likes

Cracking up at the #2 Percy Warner comment. It’s like something out of a Club Pro Guy learning center drawing.

I legitimately almost submitted it on the worst hole design thread but after looking at some of the other holes it wasn’t quite egregious enough. Right on the edge though Compared to the rest of the course it is…odd.

Another Nashville native here! I am over in East Nashville near Mitchell’s deli. I will go screw around at Shelby since its so close from time to time but I spend most of my rounds between Twelve Stones, Country Hills, The Legacy, and every muni we have. I play golf every single Friday since I don’t work that day and I will sometimes sneak a round in on the weekend. I am always down to meet up any play some golf esp. with some other NLU fans.

Anyone ever play Twelve Stones or Country Hills? Both have incredible deals. If you go buy a full box of premium balls (i.e. Pro v1, TP5, and so on) at Country Hills, they will let you play 18 holes for free with cart. Kicker is you have to use it that day. Best deal I have seen outside of the $12 hot deals at Twelve Stones…

Designed by Donald Ross!!

3 Likes

I played Twelve Stones two weekends ago for the first time. Really fun and hilly course. Will have to play there again this summer.

They have the best hot deals during the week on GN if you use that app. The course really gets nice in the summer. With that said…IF there is a drought…Stay away…

I have never played any of those 3 but I was looking at The Legacy and 12 Stones on BlueGolf Satellite view and they look fun. I have never considered Country Hills based on literally one conversation with a guy at Harpeth Hills who had terrible things to say about the course (probably should get a larger sample size). I would love to get out to some of these Northern Nashville courses at some point but I just haven’t because it is a decent hike from Green Hills and most of the guys I play with have kids and can’t be gone for 5 hours on a Saturday. I would love to try to get a meetup at either of those courses or any others that I have heard good things about but haven’t played like Greystone, Old Fort, etc.

Greystone is probably my favorite public track along with Gaylord out here. For the $$ its awesome. It can get a little wet in the winter or if you get a lot of rain but that course gets puuuuure in the spring. My only gripe with Greystone has nothing to do with the course itself but the area you look at outside of the golf course. Its like arock quarry mixed with landfill…It’s also in Dickson (an hour away for me)

I wouldn’t listen to they guy at Harpeth at all. Country Hills is run by a bunch of guys who just enjoy golf and can take care of grass… It’s tucked in a little neighborhood too that’s pretty nice. The golf carts are beat to hell and back but they have new ones on order. There isn’t a single cart that doesn’t have duct tape on the seat holding it together.

I would be all over a meet up with some local refugees at 12 stones soon…Legacy is a little more of a hike…

I played twelve stones today… the greens are very aerated and it was a little rainy but I still loved the place. I can see that the course may not be in the greatest conditioning at all times but everything still seemed pretty damn good. (Also it was only $26 on GN) would definitely be open for a meetup even if it’s just a group or two. Anyone?

1 Like

That is two votes for 12 Stones. I would be down to play March 21st or April 18th if that works for anyone else assuming the world does not completely implode before then.

1 Like

Safest place to be is on a golf course…I am going to try and get out this weekend. I thought it was going to be a wash on Saturday and didn’t get to play other than walking the Vinny Links exec course twice…

Stopped by Shelby Bottoms Golf Course today and walked around…WOW that place got destroyed. The “clubhouse” is fine which is good but that tornado pretty much ripped all the trees out. I bet it looks a lot more like it did in 1924 when Ross built it…Despite those trees being gone, I can easily see how this might improve course conditions with letting more sun in some of those fairways…I will be playing it the day they reopen to see the damage more…

I played Harpeth Hills (ghost town after 11 am because of the threat of rain) on Saturday and McCabe yesterday and there were a fair number of people out on Sunday . I drove by Shelby after work to try to play an emergency 9 and I was shocked at the trees down and such. I will likely be out on Vinny Links this week after work (I work right downtown in the Pinnacle building) if you are around and want to get out. I am worried they are going to close the courses this week which isn’t an issue right away but if maintenance isn’t getting down they will be unplayable by the end of the month.

You think they are going to close the public metro courses? I just hope all the other ones like 12 Stones and Country Hills stay open…

I am off work usually around 3:30 and home by 4ish so I am always down to sneak in 9 after work.

As long as we aren’t on a nationwide quarantine by this weekend, and courses are open I can probably get a round in Friday-Sunday.

Gaylord had some pretty damn good deals on golfnow this weekend if that is interesting to anyone

Drove through there the other day going to practice putting on their practice green. They have the whole front nine torn up still redoing all the bunkers. Judging from the looks of it they are about to have as many bunkers as Nashville Golf Athletic Club…Which is one bunker away from being called a beach…

Gaylord is going to be much more difficult when they reopen.