Roll Call: Nashville (Spring Match Play Post 1319)

I’m already playing Hermitage.

I’m looking for non biased information

If you are willing to drive a little, check out Greystone. It’s awesome.

My opinion: Gaylord is overpriced and not that interesting of a track, worth a skip.

1 Like

Greystone looks awesome. Thanks for the tip!

The conditioning is good and the course is fairly wide open. I am one of the people that probably dislikes Gaylord the most but I played there (against my will) a few weeks ago and the “construction” was changing bunkering which is completed now and has been for several months. I take lessons out there and they had dug up a few spots on 5 and 6 but it wasn’t (at that time) impacting where you would be playing from. You won’t be disappointed with Gaylord but I agree President’s Reserve is better in almost every way imaginable. If you play both I genuinely be interested in your take. Most people here hate Gaylord for their management style. Since you are an out of town guest they will likely treat you better than someone like me who might actually play there 10-12 times a year if they were nicer. You know…good, smart business practices.

I just want to play a fun track that appeals to my eye. I like mounding and undulation and cool bunkering. Hermitage looks like a great place, but Greystone seems more visually enticing (as does Gaylord for that matter)

Edit: just called Greystone to discover they are still closed for winter :thinking:

1 Like

Guis and Gals. Join us at UGA in June.

2 Likes

You will probably enjoy it fine. I actually like the course tbh. More than half the holes are a little stale but there are a couple interesting ones in there and it’s always kept up very well in my experience. It’s probably $20-$25 too expensive for a round. I don’t think you’re going to “regret” playing there unless you’re worried about a couple bucks. However, the treatment of locals is very true.

1 Like

Just got a new putter and looking for a unique or interesting head cover. It’s a blade style. I love the tees and coins as well as the Buck club styled covers. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

1 Like

I have a fairly deep collection of TBC covers, if you want to check them out…

1 Like

Hope you enjoyed the day yesterday! The weather turned out to be not too bad for you.

Also, super weird about Greystone… We played there on NYE

When I looked at greystone’s website yesterday there were tee times available. The day before, literally nothing. Very strange. When I called them, my call was answered by an operator at a call center. Also very strange. Ended up playing Gaylord (sorry to all you Gaylord haters :sweat_smile:). It was fun. A bit soggy, but I expected that.

2 Likes

I have also experienced this. On a random monday or Tuesday I want to go out there and there is nothing available. Also, it is like 45 minutes so if they are not picking up it is a huge risk for me to drive all the way there. Glad you enjoyed your golf, again the course is fine I just don’t like the management. Hope you have a nice stay in Nashville!

2 Likes

I was really excited for the tee shot by on #16 and approach over the “church pew” bunkers, however, when I got to 16 there was a full on construction site in the fairway! Looked a drainage line project. Consequently, the tee markers were moved 100 yards forward, to the start of the fairway! That really annoyed me, I’ve played courses where there have been construction projects on the holes and typically the workers just get out of the way while you tee off. I’ve never seen a tee box moved up 100 yards effectively turning the par 4 into a par 3 length. That was kinda lame. Other than that, I had a nice experience.

1 Like

Just moved to Nashville from San Diego where I was in the Roost. Looking to get out on the course whenever possible.

Also any recs on best practice facilities in area?

1 Like

Our next Roost event is on April 16 at Kenny Perry’s, but our match play is starting soon! Follow us on Instagram @thehighcottonclub and @thehighcottonclassic for all the latest with those

As far as practice facilities go, I’d have to refer you to some other folks in the area… I will say, I was super impressed with Towhee’s range at our event this past week. I used to be a huge fan of 12 stones range before they made it mostly mats only… I’ve personally always thought our area lacked a great place to practice, so I’m interested to hear other’s thoughts as well.

Hope to have you join the Roost or an event soon! Please don’t hesitate to send me a message with any questions

2 Likes

Welcome! Harpeth valley golf center is a pretty solid grass range and all round practice facility. It may be a bit of a drive out of town depending on where you’re located but worth a try!

So apparently Sewanee and Lookout Mountain are closed on Mondays. In reading the thread above, I’m seeing Gaylord sucks and Greystone is closed. Any other recommendations from Nashville to South Pittsburg?

Greystone is open, I know folks who played there Sunday… odd that it appeared closed

From Nashville to S Pittsburg, I can really only recommend Bear Trace @ Tim’s Ford. Some locals enjoy Willowbrook in Manchester, but I wouldn’t spend my time there if I was just passing thru

Well, we can drive a bit if we need to. Just looking for the best course in that general vicinity in place of Sewanee and Lookout Mountain.

If you’re looking for a cheaper alternative. There’s a place called Dogwood Hills about 25 minutes south of Sweetens in Alabama. Course wasn’t in the best condition when we went in November, but I remember it being decent for the price