Roll Call - MN contingent? (Part 1)

I’d be interested as well. Right now I’m planning on going saturday with my gf and her law school friends. I’ll report back on how cold it is. Supposed to be 26* and 10mph northern wind. If it’s too cold, then they’re really going to have a tough time in the winters.

I’ve been wanting to give Top Golf a shot as well, but like others, I’m skeptical that November-March is the ideal time to try it out.

I’m not sure how people feel about simulator golf, but I’ve found this place enjoyable; https://insideedgegolf.com/

I live in the southwest suburbs so it’s convenient for me, so if people ever wanted to give it a shot, I would be in for a meet up.

I might be game for checking out Insideedge…its the other side of the world from my neck of the woods, but could make it work.

Its definitely out of morbid curiosity that I want to check out Topgolf in the winter. It maybe the only time I do it, but I want to at least see what its like.

I’ve never been to Inside Edge but I’ll vouch for it on the basis that the owner and one of the guys who works/gives lessons out of there are both good people.

There really are some great public courses in the FM area, very affordable too. I played a lot of rounds at Meadows in Moorhead during college, I think a student season pass was like ~$350.

Figured I’d report back on Top Golf from this weekend. It was a fun time. There’s a few different games you can choose from so I’m inclined to go back at some point to try out the others. Also I hadn’t swung a club in 2 months and swinging the TG clubs (i.e. not mine) made the first 15 minutes a bit of a learning curve.

I must admit, the temps on Saturday were about as cold as I would want to do it (~25* and not much wind). Unless they can turn the heaters up more, the mats are a bit chilly once you’re up there. Not bad if you’re just going to take a few hacks and get back under the heaters, but if it were colder that would be a problem. We were fortunate the wind was shielded for most of our time but if it were in the face, then it wouldn’t be much fun and I’d rather just go indoors somewhere. I would also recommend bringing a glove. The heat from the bay and the cool slick clubs made my hands a bit clammy and I was squeezing the life out of the club for fear of letting go and public humiliation (I may or may not have done this twice in a row during a drive, chip, and putt event in my youth…)

1 Like

My buddy Rob McClanahan (yeah, that one) just did 1000 greens too. He’s a Spring Hill guy.

2 Likes

As a MN golf and hockey nut, playing Spring Hill with a member of the Miracle on Ice would probably be too much for my system to handle.

2 Likes

I’ve worked with him for 15+ years, and my man-crush is undiminished.

2 Likes

I know it probably looks like a real golf hardass move, but they’re cool with you bringing your own clubs, right? I went to the TopGolf in Sacramento when I visited my brother out there a couple years ago and that’s what we did and I enjoyed that way more than playing with the TopGolf clubs when I went to the one in Scottsdale. Even if you don’t want to haul the whole bag, just bring a few irons/wedges and I think you’d be having more fun.

Was it busy despite how cold it was? I’ve been wanting to take the wife there to introduce her to golf but was hearing about 3-4 hour wait lists when it first opened up. I imagine it’s nothing like that anymore.

I’ve done Inside Edge twice, and I would recommend it for sure, just know that it’s kind of a tease and makes you pray for winter to end all the faster so you can get back out there for the real thing

I bring my own clubs when I go, and I would say it’s about 50/50 on who brings their clubs vs who doesn’t. I’ve noticed Topgolf hosts a lot of events and most of those people don’t bring clubs.
I don’t care what people think I’d just rather have my clubs with me. I think I’m leaning towards Inside Edge for the rest of the winter though. M

1 Like

Yeah there were a bunch of people bringing their own clubs. I was with a small group and didn’t want to be the only one who brought their own clubs because it would’ve felt weird like I’m too cool for them (I totally am). But if I were with a group of people I knew were bringing their own, I would. And yeah, it was busy. Got there at 1:15 and it was a 2.5 hour wait. We just put our name in and went to get lunch with some people and came back. Worked out nicely, actually. But I would imagine once all the people who are going to go there try it for the first time it will die down, especially if it’s really cold.

1 Like

Wow @happykamper hasn’t left the bold north yet for Chicago?!? I thought after our round at Gross you were basically going home to load up the UHaul!

If you’re still around once we thaw out in the spring let’s get together w/ @earlsmithiii and let it rip!

2 Likes

Still here! Job hunt hasn’t gone as planned but I’ll be down there on or around April 1. If I’m back in town with the sticks (or y’all down by Chicago with yours) I’ll let you know!

I spent three years living in the Twin Cities (Maple Grove). I played my golf at Windsong Farm, which was fantastic. I still have many friends in the TC, so I get back occasionally.

Beyond Windsong, my favorite Minnesota golf courses were Minikahda and WBYC. I also enjoyed playing Pioneer Creek in the offseason (as a Windsong member, it was free to play).

The next time I get back, I’m heading straight to Northland. My biggest regret was not playing there during our three years in Minnesota.

1 Like

Let me know when you plan on playing Northland, I’d be happy to join/host.

2 Likes

I’d love to tag along if you have room at Northland!

Done, let’s revisit this summer and get something scheduled.

anyone else on here been checking the 10 day forecast nearly every hour lately, wondering when the first day courses will be dry enough to open or am I the only one? Some 50 degree highs coming this week, let’s go!!!

5 Likes