Roll Call - MN contingent? (Part 1)

Yeah, been playing there quite a bit this summer, and am hoping to get out this weekend. What the course lacks in length it makes up for being super tight. Definitely not a width and angles course. That said I’ve found it frustratingly fun, but have definitely pumped my fair share of balls into the woods.

Hit up the Royal tonight to try and get a little practice in. Unfortunately, they are no longer doing the range balls on the short game practice area as some a-hole stole them. Guess we can’t have nice things…

I live in Chicago, but was in Rochester this weekend visiting friends who live near RGCC - which was undergoing a ton of construction during my visit. So I took a drive through the parking lot just to take a look.

My god.It’s been completely transformed. What is going on there?

It looks unbelievable now. I played it about six years ago and I remember it as terrible disappointment. It’s not finished yet, but you can tell it’s going to be an outrageous improvement.

They are doing a renovation led by Tom Doak’s company to restore the original AW Tillinghast design. I want to play it very badly once they are finished.

Calling all Twin Cities based Refugees:

@bobs219 and I were talking about meeting up and playing some time and we thought we might as well try and include a couple more internet strangers while we’re at it to complete the foursome. He already made the tee time for this Saturday (9/22) at 8:40 AM at Gross in Minneapolis for four of us, so we need two more players. Any takers? First come, first served, but going back and reading the posts I noticed @happykamper and @QGorski seemed open to meeting up and playing. Hit me up if you’re interested!

Appreciate the invite! Already have a tee time for Saturday morning with some other buddies. Keep me in mind for next time though.

1 Like

Damn, I’m stuck having to help the wife put on a work event Saturday otherwise I’d have been interested.

Count me in! (if you haven’t filled it yet)

1 Like

Looks like it’ll be me, @earlsmithiii and @happykamper + a 4th I was able to scrounge from my very short list of friends who play.

Looking forward to getting out with you guys (please don’t be serial killers).

3 Likes

Finally decided to join the refuge bored at work. From the Iron Range and currently splitting time in Duluth and Hibbing. Home course is Mesaba CC but play Lester Park, Enger Park, and Nemadji quite a bit

1 Like

I played Lester and Nemadji a couple of weeks ago while in DLH for the Spooner Four Ball at NCC. They were both very nice. Lester was as good as I have seen it and I have played it off and on since 1970. Shame it is closing today for the season and maybe forever.

Where have you heard that Lester is possibly closing forever? That’s the course I golf most of the time when I’m in Duluth, and prefer it to Enger. Can’t imagine trying to golf on a Saturday next summer with only one Duluth public course open.

There is a proposal in the works for a developer to buy LPGC and develop the back nine- house apartments boutique hotel- and open up the lake nine to make it playable by less skilled players. If that doesn’t go thru the end is near for LPGC.

Late to the MN roll call here, but I am always up for a game with fellow NLU fans.

How did the round go @bobs219?

Anyone playing in the TwinCities Golf Club event tomorrow at the Royal Club?

It’s a 2-person scramble, and the 2-people from the 1st, 10th, and 20th placed teams will each get a chance to hit for a $1M hole in one contest on the 155 yard 16th hole.

Should be entertaining to watch even if we don’t get into the shootout.

I think there are 54 teams, so I’m just hoping for a finishing place that starts with 4 or better.

Real good. Gross in MPLS was a lot more fun than I expected + @earlsmithiii and @happykamper turned out to not be murderers so all in all was a real good time.

Well, I played like complete garbage. Not sure my brother’s back will be right anytime soon after having to carry me all day. We started out 6 over through the first nine, but somehow got back to even on the second 9. Not exactly sure where we finished but it was somewhere mid-pack. I did manage to win a closest to the hole on a par 3, something…something…blind squirrel…

We both had a family dinner obligation to get to after the round (which took about 5 hours) so we didn’t stick around to watch the $1M shot on the par 3. They had a pretty easy pin placement set up with a nice little backstop behind the pin, but it was also cold and windy.

Here is a quick drone video of the two closest shots:$1M Hole In One Attempt

Jump to 30 seconds for the action to start. Second guy hits a hell of a shot to say the least.

So the wife is out of town this weekend, and the weather only looks mostly crappy, anyone feel like getting a round in?

I was hoping to play maybe one last round on Saturday or Sunday if the weather holds up.

I’m pretty flexible. I’d be down for Gross again if anyone wants to reprise that. I’m in the northeast metro.

I’m also contemplating taking Friday off of work, since it’s looking pretty decent forecast wise.

I’d prefer to do a different course than Gross. I’ve played it way more than some of the other munis so I’ve been mixing those other ones in lately. I like where your head is at about Friday. I was thinking of ducking out at noon and then making up any time I needed to on Saturday morning since Friday is supposed to be so much nicer. I work in Vadnais Heights, so also a part of the NE metro. I haven’t played Keller yet this season and it’s super close to my office. Any interest in that on Friday afternoon? I’ll double check to make sure I can dip out early Friday but I’m sure it won’t be an issue.