Roll Call - MN contingent? (Part 1)

Harry English had a hard time on #1 on Sunday… Didn’t even need the leaves

It is frustrating that some don’t tell you they punched. Just post it on the website front and center or before you confirm the tee time.

1 Like

paid full price at the Royal what must have been 2 days after they were punched. #disappointed.

1 Like

Every “high end” public course in the TC area is soaking the golfing public for all they’re worth this summer. It’s bullshit that they charge full freight right after punching.

On the subject of bullshit…any place charging $100+ for a round, and not providing complimentary range balls (s/o Legends, StoneRidge), are complete scumbags

19 Likes

Agreed. It is pretty scummy

Twin Cities native, living out in the Bay Area but I always keep an eye out on this thread.

I was back in MN last week visiting friends and family (after a golf trip with the fellas in Crosslake) and played StoneRidge on Monday (9/14) for the first time. Was super excited, until I got there and they told us that they were punching the tee boxes (after we paid of course). Before every tee shot we had to clean off an area on the tee box just to tee off. They charged full price (Plus $10 for a bucket of balls). Loved the course but pretty scummy move on their part.

3 Likes

So a few buddies and I made it up to Grand View Lodge two weekends ago and played the Pines, Classic, and Preserve. Have to say, the Classic is a tough f’ing course. Especially if you aren’t striking it well. And the Preserve has to be one of my favorite courses I have played in the state! Not super long by any means, but still a challenging course

1 Like

Played there on Saturday. Greens were close but not great, maybe another week and they should be really good. Fairways were in the middle of being done and super soft. First time out there and enjoyed the course a lot!

1 Like

I played both the Preserve and Pines over labor day weekend. Preserve was prettier but I thought the greens were very inconsistent in speed and firmness, which was disappointing for a $90 round. Conditioning at the Pines was absolutely perfect.

1 Like

That’s funny, because I felt like the greens were more variable at the Pines when we played. Regardless, both very fun courses and I will certainly be returning to both! Still need to play Deacons

They did get a lot of rain up there in late August so we probably just had bad luck

1 Like

Yeah, we got super lucky with the rain the weekend we were there. Going into the weekend it was supposed to be nearly 100% chance of rain when we played the Classic, but that totally missed us

1 Like

I’ve only played the Classic once, last year. TOUGH course. Very pretty though. I’ve also only played Deacon’s once in 2015 at a bachelor party. I remember very little of that course.

2 Likes

Agree on the Classic being TOUGH! Definitely didn’t help that I was playing horribly, but the beer helped me through it. Understandable on not remembering a bachelor party round haha

1 Like

I do remember two tee shots that were strikingly beautiful. And a few StoneRidge-esque greens. That’s about it

1 Like

I was supposed to be up there tomorrow for a long weekend with some family, but plans fell through. Preserve greens were insanely fast when I played two years ago because the superintendents revenge tournament was the next day, so they had them cranked up.

Fall golf somehow improves on the summers up there.

Consolation prize for me is that I’m free to go to the Barn Burner this weekend, so things worked out in the end.

4 Likes

I know it is late in the week, but had some plans change and looking to play a round this Saturday. Is there any group on here looking for a fourth?

Any one play weekday afternoon rounds? I don’t work next Tuesday afternoon would love to get out.

I’m playing Troy Burne with a non-refugee friend at 9:50 on Saturday. Have 2 spots open if anyone is interested. $72+tax to walk or ride.

The Preserve greens were really slow when I played there last month, and the guy in the pro shop said they’ve been trying to speed them up all summer but weren’t having much luck. It was hard to get the head around because they looked shiny and quick but just simply weren’t.

I still ride hard for Deacons as the best course in the area, with the best mix of playability and difficulty.

Where else did you play in the area?

2 Likes