Roll Call: Mississippi

Kentucky football fan here. Got about 10-15 people coming down for the game on 10/1.

I’ve tried to find best info about tailgating spots for visitors. I know it will impossible to get a spot in the grove (I know you can hire companies, we’re not going to do all that). What would Rebels fans suggest for our group? I know a lot hinges on game time which won’t come out until two weeks prior.

Let’s assume it’s a 6-6:30pm local kickoff (looking at SEC schedule that day. I think this game will be slotted in the evening slot on SECNetwork).

Thanks for any help

Couple of options:

1. Designate a group to set up when the Grove opens Friday night (I think it should be 7pm). We used to have to do this ourselves, but it is largely the set-up companies that run the show now.
  2. Bite the bullet and pay to have someone set up a tent for you all. Being in the Grove is worth the cost/hassle.
  3. Say “screw it,” find a place for brunch (Boure, Rafters, BBB), pack a cooler (or two) and walk to the Grove. You’ll find yourselves invited into more tailgates then you need.
  4. Where are you staying? You could do some combination of the above depending on location.

Last year was the first time I didn’t make it back for a game, so others may have some more info as things are always shifting a bit.

We have a couple of VRBOs in between Sardis and Batesville.

I agree that it would be worth it to bite the bullet and have a company set up a tent for you. Would be nice to have a home base and not have to deal with the hassle. Plus, split 10-15 ways it can’t be too bad.

If not, you guys shouldn’t have a problem tent hopping. Everyone in the Grove/Circle is pretty friendly and welcoming to opposing fans. You will be invited in for food and drinks by many Ole Miss folk.

Just checked out some of those tent companies. Those prices are very reasonable, especially with the size group we have. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

We’re booking as we speak.

1 Like

Hey everyone, the @HighCottonClub is getting ready to kick off our 2022-23 season at the end of the month in Southern Tennessee at Bear Trace. We would love to have some of y’all if you’re interest! The event involves a round of golf and then a float trip to follow! Feel free to reach out to @leftysauce or myself if you have any questions!

2 Likes

Hey y’all, just reaching out in case anyone is interested, sign ups are due by this Friday. We would love to have some more folks out, so please reach out to @leftysauce and I if you have any questions!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1FZzNiL5_VLxAmK0mPlhi7m1HGXM71_JL8x5m2itEHAI/htmlview

Miss Refugees-

Got some buddies interested in a trip to Mossy Oak/Waverly next fall. We do a big group 16-20 each year, this year pinehurst. My question is it worth it for us all to come down there, stay 3 nights play 36 two days in a row? Looks sweet to me but have no first hand knowledge. We’d all have to fly in etc.
Anyone done the stay and play, good for a group that loves to golf and loves to hangout/drink together after just as much?

Thanks!

Just got back from a trip in July with 8 of us. We played 18 at Waverly Friday afternoon, 27 at Mossy Oak on Saturday and then 18 at Waverly Sunday morning. Stayed in the Junior Cottage at Waverly. The cabins on #10 at Mossy were sold out but the Junior Cottage was great too. You walk out your door and are on the short game area by the range.

As far as the courses go they both complement each other very well. Mossy is obviously un like anything in our area. Gill Hanse, big ball park, crazy greens, but fun as hell if you play the right tees. I would recommend a fore caddy for one round if it’s your first time playing. It’s not that much money and you can split it in a 4some. Waverly is more traditional and would be the one I would choose to play every day if I had to. Give me ten rounds I’m playing 7 at Waverly and 3 at Mossy Oak.

I would recommend getting dinner at Anthony’s in West Point (5 min drive from either Mossy/Waverly) you can brown bag and its a great meal and hang. If you want to eat dinner at the club house at Waverly one night make sure to make reservations. They do breakfast buffet in the mornings and Fried Chicken Blue Plate on Friday afternoon. New clubhouse at Mossy Oak finished last year and has an awesome upstairs bar overlooking the whole property.

We all drove in from Memphis, Nashville, and Jackson MS. If you fly in you will be going to GTR in Columbus which is about 15 minute drive. I believe they have a shuttle at Waverly that might could get you and take you across the street to Mossy.

If you need a contact, I have all the info for the new marketing director of Mossy/Waverly I can pm you it.

3 Likes

Mississippi friends - looking for some help with a non-golf trip.

Headed to Starkville next weekend. Staying in Columbus. Really no plans outside of walking through campus, taking a walk through the Ulysses S Grant Presidential Library, and just seeing what the vibe is.

Any recommendations for Saturday breakfast or Friday dinner? Any bars we need to make sure we check out?

@JCO our State expert

1 Like

I’ll send over my recommended itinerary over in a bit. I will be there next weekend as well.

1 Like

I lived in Columbus for 10 years. I was a member at OW. Still to this day my favorite daily playable course and favorite club I’ve ever belonged to.

Many weekdays I was the only person on the course at all.

Here are some of the recommendations that I give everyone. Everything I’m recommending flows from campus to the cotton district to downtown and back but there are plenty of other great spots around town too.

1. Two Brothers (probably my top recommendation personally) is a must for drinks as well as food (pork rind nachos, white BBQ chicken tacos, cheese fries, etc). This is in the cotton district with a lot of other bars and restaurants so feel free to bounce around in this area. My second favorite place in the cotton district is the Bin which is right across the street. Sitting on the patio for either one of these places is an amazing people watching experience. FYI cotton district is walkable to stadium (~10 minutes). My advice is to park there and walk everywhere from campus to downtown. Not a bad walk in my opinion.

2. If you’re feeling coffee, you got to get StrangeBrew. Main location on highway 12 going into campus or there’s a Midtown location between the cotton district and downtown.

3. If you want to do a fancy drink and great apps (old fashion, etc.), there’s a speakeasy called the Guest Room under Restaurant Tyler that you can access from the back alleyway (haha not as weird as it sounds I promise). Definitely a dim atmosphere but chill vibe.

4. Humble Taco is great. I’ve only been once as it’s fairly new. It’s a Mexican restaurant but puts a southern twist on most of the dishes that is unique.

5. BBQ at Little Dooey’s is great and it’s the place all the football commentators or the Gameday folks always talk about when they come to town.

6. Breakfast at Starkville cafe is a must if you have time. Get there early as there tends to be a line.

7. Almost forgot about Stromboli’s which is a Starkville staple. If you’re feeling pizza, calzones, etc. this is your spot. You have to get the cookie dough bites for dessert. Place is extremely small as in it only has about 10 tables in the restaurant.

3 Likes

@JCO gave me the same list when I was there a few weeks ago. Bin 612 is a great people watching spot while enjoying some cheese fries and ice cold beers. Dapper Doughnut was a short walk from my hotel and was delightful.

1 Like

I would never steer you wrong, @therealmarkymark.

1 Like

Got a buddy gonna be in Starkville for the UGA game Saturday. Any suggestions for a good public track he can play? He’s a high handicapper so just looking for a quality course for a good deal

The university’s golf course is pretty fun.

Second, the University Course recommendation, which is newly renovated. Still haven’t made it to Mossy Oak some how, but from what I heard is that it is very wide out there and even a high handicapper would have a good time.

1 Like

Mossy Oak fuqs

2 Likes