Roll Call: Michigan - support the Green Fairway Fellowship!

the horseshoe par 5 #16 i think is an absolute joke of a hole, entire landing area canters severely into the hazard. i have seen multiple good tee shots roll all the way down into that hazard. CP does have a stellar practice range

I agree 17 at CP is a brutal carry especially if there’s any wind into you

I agree about 16 at the Preserve. It could be a great hole if it wasn’t so penal off of the tee. Between the poor angle on the tee shot, and the lack of maintenance/shrub removal in the hazard, you lose any of the strategy that the split fairway provides. With that being said, it still beats a lot of the golf in that area and 18 is a great finisher. I tend to prefer Dunham Hills down the road if I’m going to play near the 59/23 area

1 Like

Livonia, MI here.

Looking forward to hitting some of the courses mentioned above.

I actually live in Iowa, but will be making a trip to a relatives lake house in Charlevoix this summer. I was told they have about 60 courses within an hour of their house. Wanted to check in here to see if anybody has an recommendations around Charlevoix.

My goal is to play as much as I can while we are there, but with the entire family going I’m sure it will be limited for me to get away and play as much as I would like.

just play Belvedere every time… and im being serious

within 20 mins is Bay Harbor and Crooked Tree. check the BoyneGolf website for weekly specials and deals cause those places are a bit pricier

within 45 mins NE id consider Boyne Highlands (Arthur Hills, The Heather), again check the weekly specials online; Hidden River Golf and Casting Club; Little Traverse Bay. 45 mins S check out Shanty Creek tracks (Cedar River, The Legend)

but seriously, Belvedere 3x for every 1 other visit somewhere else

Good info. Belevedere was the first one I researched mainly based on how close it is to where I will be staying.

Good to know about the weekly specials, Ill have to check those out once we nail down a date.

Ideally I would like to play a few courses while I am in the area, but also not wanting to play a bunch of $150+ rounds if at all possible.

@j0shsm1th pretty much summarized every place I would recommend. Second on Belvedere. It’s a great track.

The only other recommendation I would make is A-Ga-Ming Golf Resort in Kewadin. It’s about a 30 minute drive south from Charlevoix. Play the Sundance course - it’s awesome.

1 Like

Sounds like Belvedere is a no brainer for me at this point.

I’ll have to take some time to check out the other courses you guys listed.

I’ll do my best to try and remember to report back to you guys after the trip

I’ll add another vote for Belvedere, just a great classic course. Doesn’t have the dramatic scenery like you would get at a Bay Harbor, but it’s 1/3 of the price and a better course. They recently did a restoration of the greens and bunkers so I’m curious how it turned out, but I always get there when I’m in the area.

1 Like

Definitely agree on Belvedere. With that being said, Antrim Dells is a fun course and Sundance is really great as well. Lochenheath is a good course in a great location as well but it is definitely on the pricey side. Elk Rapids has a great 9 hole Donald Ross course that is worthwhile as well

1 Like

Shoutout Ferris State PGA Golf Management! Come check out Katke Golf Club and our new Ken Janke Learning Center!

I hope everyone that wanted too (at least in SE Michigan) got out to play in the great weather this weekend. Course was still a bit soggy when I played Saturday, but it was nice to finally get outside.

Michigan native, living in Chicago. Looking forward to taking the SS Badger from WI over to Ludington to start my summer golf trip in June

1 Like

Ypsilanti here. Always up for a round. Home course is U-M Blue but happy to play anywhere in the area.

Is that the Mackenzie or Dye course?

That’s the MacKenzie. The Dye is Radrick.

I’m Ypsilanti too. I’ve never played the UM Mackenzie. If you ever need a 4th I’m in

1 Like

i love that course. I’m definitely gonna try to get down there to play it this year as it’s been a couple years since I’ve been down there