Roll Call: Michigan - support the Green Fairway Fellowship!

I’m going to be up in Cheboygan this upcoming weekend. Anyone interested in playing a round on Friday (8/27)?

I’m thinking about either of these 2 courses:

http://www.indianrivergolfclub.com/

https://www.cheboygangolf.com/

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/giveaway-custom-mysim-2-driver-raffle-to-support-first-tee-greater-detroit/59758?u=jawnnypage

Hey everyone! I am stealing @DetroitGolfer19 idea and raffling off a brand new custom MY Sim 2 driver in support of our 100 hole golf marathon!

Let me know if you have any questions and thanks for your support. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So I played Pilgrim’s Run today which completed the Devries public options in Michigan for me. I think if I had to play ten rounds at those four this would be the breakdown.

5 at Greywalls
3 at Diamond Springs
1 at Pilgrims Run
1 at The Mines

Greywalls is other worldly fun and I would love to play it again multiple times after having played it once.
Diamond Springs is great, but competing against Greywalls is tough. I was tempted to go 4 and 4 but I don’t want anyone to mistake Diamond Springs and Greywalls as being equal. That being said, it’s my favorite Grand Rapids area Devries course and it’s not even really close.
The Mines is probably my next favorite and then I played Pilgrim’s Run today and it would occupy my last spot of the four. I played with @Kirk19 and he made the very good point that most of the holes (probably all of them honestly) could be put on any other course in West Michigan and you wouldn’t notice. Whereas the other Devries courses all offer something unique for the area.

Would play them all again but if I had ten rounds this is how I’d do it. The one caveat is that I did not consider price in this list. I went strictly for enjoyment on the course. Greywalls is significantly more expensive than the other three.

Feel free to dispute this list up or ignore it at your leisure

5 Likes

I’m assuming they use electric carts so probably a short in a charger or something maybe? Rough to lose all the carts though.

This was my high school’s home course back in the day. Not exactly the most walker friendly place in town would be a nice way of putting it, hopefully they can get a new fleet in quickly for the course’s sake.

Gonna bump this one last time. Need 2 more to make a nice even 20 for the east vs west. Let’s go!

1 Like

just put this in the Ohio thread and i’ll put it in here too. looking at last minute Solheim Cup tickets and would love to meet some people down there. are more people, if any, going on Saturday or Sunday?

1 Like

This is not a new or original take, but I played Meadowbrook CC today for the first time since the renovation. And I caddied there in high school for four years, and today was a revelation! I’ve read all the articles, I’ve watched all the YouTube videos, I’ve seen all the posts on social media, so I knew it was coming but it was the most fun I’ve had on a golf course in a really, really long time. I could play that course every single day and never ever get bored. I missed the punch bowl on three with a wedge in my hand and three jacked, I came up short on the False front to a front pin on seven, i used the backstop to perfection 9 and made a birdie, I made a birdie on the lions mouth. That is around that I’m going to be remembering all winter long!!

6 Likes

We don’t use the W word in here until December sir haha

3 Likes

Recent Top 10 Under $50 list from our buddy at MGL:

I’ve only played Coyote Preserve and The Quest. My caveats are that it’s been quite a while since I played both, and also that I’m not completely up to date on what people are charging everywhere these days.

But I doubt either one of those courses is making my top 10. Calderone interests me, as does Manistee and Interlochen. Otherwise I’m putting a real side eye on this list. Could these just be the top 10 among the courses that indulged him by paying to be featured on the show?

I ride hard for Calderone. You can not beat the value in this area of the state.

2 Likes

I drive by there every time on my way home to Indiana and need to stop and play it. Looks awesome from the road. (I realize I shouldn’t be looking at golf holes and driving)

1 Like

If you’re on this board and DON’T look at golf holes whilst driving, I’d be shocked. You have to. It comes with the sickness.

5 Likes

Coyote Preserve is OK for me (kinda weird vibes of a half finished housing development and Palmer designed bad holes) but would much rather play the Majestic or Huntmore along 23 there.

My dad absolutely loves playing at Interlochen for reasons I don’t totally understand but it’s a decent little track. Front 9 is very parkland muni but the back gets in the woods a bit more.

About to leave to go get punched in the face at Eagle Eye, can’t wait.

1 Like

I’d put Solitude Links on that list but I think this year they’ve gone to dynamic pricing that puts the price over $50.00.

None the less, I really like that course.

So I’m playing 36 tomorrow at 2 different courses near Birch Run/Frankenmuth:

Briar Ridge & Timbers.

Any thoughts on either course? I haven’t played either yet so I’m curious about what to expect.

I played a 3-man scramble event in high school at the Timbers and I remember liking it a lot. On the other hand, it’s probably because I putted like a maniac and we won the event. Having looked at pics of the course more recently, it doesn’t look nearly as good as it does in my memories.

2 Likes

I’ve played three of these. Calderone is solid - quite a different feel on the two 9s. Oceana is not nearly as good as Colonial GC in Hart, which is 10 minutes up the road and also <$50. And I didn’t expect much from a golf course in Ubly…but Ubly Heights is surprisingly decent.

Pigeon Creek IMO is a great course for the money, not sure it would be in any top 10 list in the state, but I really like it. Course plays links-adjacent (walkable, few trees, usually a decent wind, fairways firm), yesterday I was bouncing shots out of the rough up onto the green almost like I was in Scotland. Greens are always in good condition. There are some long, tough 4s and 5s, but there’s also a couple of gettable short 4s over water on the front. May be a little biased as I just shot my personal best by 3 strokes there, but what are you gonna do.

We got 2 spots open for the east vs west if anyone is interested!

Should cost about $50 a person