Roll Call: Michigan - support the Green Fairway Fellowship!

Nice. I’m noodling around the idea of tacking on a round or two at FD/Loop, Arcadia, Champion Hill, etc. Will put something out there as the date gets closer and get a discussion going with interested parties.

2 Likes

I’m signed up for it. Need to email the club tomorrow to see if I can snag a cottage room. They worked out a bit of a discount for members.

2 Likes

I have a free place to stay in Higgins Lake (~1hr away) and trying to decide if I stay closer or not. Pre-event golf will likely determine lodging.

Agree with what everyone else said about Belvedere. Played there for the first time during a TC vacation last August. Everything - course, pro shop, vibe - is top shelf. It’s a must play if you’re in TC. An easy one hour drive north.

4 Likes

Matchplay starts 4/1….

4 Likes

The season is upon us! If anyone is looking to join the Fresh Coast Flock (MI roost) throw your info in the sign up sheet, join the slack and #getinvolved

Join me on Slack – it’s a faster, simpler way to work. Sign up here, from any device: Slack

5 Likes

Howdy friends… So, something came up and looks like GF and I are headed to MI for the next week. We’re going to be in Grand Haven, and I’m planning on getting out this weekend. If anyone is interested in joining, let me know. I’m thinking I’ll try to get a round in at GVSU course and possibly The Mines, as well. Hopefully this is feasible but open to other suggestions.

2 Likes

Bumping the Classic Club Challenge in Grand Rapids, Sunday, June 4th!

We’re at 19 committed, but I can adjust tee times for two weeks yet so if there’s some late interest get your name up there in the spreadsheet! Spread the word, bring your friends!

1 Like

The Meadows (GVSU) is a great course, and only 30 min from Grand Haven, highly recommend (I live nearby and am at the range constantly). Another course I don’t see a lot of talk about in the Grand Haven/Muskegon area is Stonegate in Twin Lake, about 30 min NE of Grand Haven. We made the drive up from GR a couple times last year and really enjoyed it.

Fair warning if you’re looking to play the Meadows on a Saturday with a group you should get on the tee time booking a full week in advance, it fills up quick. If you’re just a single you can slot in pretty easily though. I know there are a number of guys here that are members at the Meadows too.

3 Likes

Stonegate is a fantastic course and doesn’t get much recognition. Couldn’t recommend it more. We make a dedicated trip 1-2 times a summer to play it.

3 Likes

Much appreciate the info! I’ll def take a look at getting a round in at either GVSU or Stonegate. I’d be a single, so I hope I can just get added to a twosome/threesome anywhere I go. Likely leaning towards GVSU. I like playing Uni courses and have enjoyed the couple Hurdzan courses I’ve played.

Stonegate’s website states that it is the “6th friendliest golf course in the US” according to GolfAdvisor, which is just a silly ranking.

4 Likes

I’d prefer The Meadows but you won’t go wrong either way. GV is a great walk, while at Stonegate you end up like a mile from the clubhouse after 18 so if you’re looking to walk I would NOT recommend it lol

Also, absolutely no idea how they rank a friendly golf course, but I will say the starter at Stonegate was entertaining with some good tips about creating a nice blue/white tee split, so take that for what it’s worth.

Booked Meadows @ 930, single, walking for $36… that’s a heckuva deal, if you ask me. Other spots are open if anyone can make the trek out. Just hoping the weather cooperates :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Just got an email that American Dunes is having a special Spring Preview weekend Apr 13-15… $75 for 18 riding… very tempting

1 Like

For $75.00 it’s pushing the boundaries of being worth it. I wouldn’t pay anymore than that.

Aside from the gaudy homage to Jack at every turn, I find the course fun to play.

3 Likes

My thoughts exactly. $36 walking meadows or $75 riding AD :thinking:

I can’t speak to AD but the meadows has essentially been my home course for a decade. You won’t be disappointed in it’s conditioning. They have always taken great care of it and have regularly hosted D2 championships there over the years. It’s not the toughest test necessarily but it’s a great walk.

2 Likes

If you do end up playing it, be prepared. Temps in Grand Haven can be like 15-20 degrees colder because of the wind off the lake.

Played it for a media preview in early May – it was 70 in Grand Rapids and then 45 by the time I got to American Dunes. Thankfully I had a winter hat, but my hands were frozen.

1 Like

Def spot on with your weather takes. Lake Michigan really keeps GH temps down often…

I’ve already played AD, really annoyed that I paid full peak season price for it. I’d def play it again for $75, that seems about right for the course, not the near $200 I paid last summer.

2 Likes

Ooof

1 Like