Roll Call: Michigan - support the Green Fairway Fellowship!

Hello! New to the Refuge, just wanted to say hello. East sider degen golfer excited to be here.

8 Likes

Welcome to the Refuge!

1 Like

To be honest if you’re trying to do one day in GR pilgrims/ the mines is the combo I would recommend. I guess if you’re staying in GR you could do the mines in the morning since it’s literally right in the city, and then take your pick from there. Both diamond and pilgrims will be 30-40 min from downtown GR. My personal opinion, I don’t really think it’s much of a choice between the 2. Diamond is great, but I’d pick pilgrims pretty much 10/10 times over it, it’s truly something special IMHO.

4 Likes

#getinvolved come to maxamania 2 at rackham next Saturday!

2 Likes

I second this. Was at Pilgrims last weekend and the conditions are maybe the best I’ve seen them in 10 years

3 Likes

I was just up at Forest Dunes and it is very much worth playing (loved it honestly), but if you only have time for one I would play the Loop one way as it’s a type of golf (like Arcadia South) that’s not easy to find in the US. Playing both ways on consecutive days was awesome but don’t keep yourself away just because you can only play one way. The Loop will cost more than the DeVries courses (especially Diamond) though so keep that in mind if you’re on a budget after hitting Arcadia.

Pilgrim’s Run is so good though. I differ from most and prefer Diamond and Pilgrim’s Run way over the Mines but the proximity to GR makes the Mines super easy to get on so for a trip it may make more sense.

2 Likes

Would love to but I have league play that day. Hopefully the lack of rain has allowed Rackham to get some of the fairways in better shape, love that course.

2 Likes

Hey guys I’m going to be in Ann Arbor for a hockey coaches conference June 14-18. Would love to play some golf on the 14th or 18th. I know you can get in the Michigan course for a price if your not an alumni. I saw Rackham may be pretty rough right now. Anything else I should look at?

UMGC or Leslie Park in AA

1 Like

Pilgrim’s is sweet and a great value for the price. But for me, there are plenty of courses in Michigan and elsewhere that are gonna have a similar feel to Pilgrim’s. The mines and diamond on the other hand, are a little more unique. You could play any or all of the 3 and never have a bad day, just a matter of what you’re trying to get out of your limited time in GR.

For the loop I’d say there’s a novelty in playing it both ways and it’s really cool to see how it comes together in that way, but I wouldn’t say you get much more out of it by playing it both ways. IMO the biggest thing is if you play it both ways you get to play it twice! The Weiskopf course is solid but it’s not a must play for me. Real solid up north Michigan feels but it’s nor particularly unique. I’d be more inclined to play Pilgrim’s at 1/3 of the price which I’d say has a similar aesthetic.

1 Like

Hey y’all! Super short notice but in town visiting a wife’s friend. Gonna try and sneak in a round with some rentals. We’ll be in Ann Arbor. Is Michigan course my best bet? Looked pretty awesome on tourist sauce. Appreciate any ideas/ advice!

1 Like

When you looking to play? If the date works I’d be happy to host there and have plenty of clubs to avoid the rental charge.

3 Likes

Wow! It’s very short notice as I just landed lol.

Not totally sure of itinerary for the weekend but thinking maybe like Sunday or Monday morning to avoid being away from the group for the whole day. No worries if that doesn’t fit

I’m going to Findlay tomorrow so Sunday probably wouldn’t work for me. Let me check my schedule for Monday. Might need to be an afternoon/twilight round.

2 Likes

My takeaway regarding Diamond vs Pilgrim’s is that there’s absolutely no consensus! Unclear to an outsider how to decide! I wish I didn’t have to, but adding the Loop forces a decision.

Andy Johnson’s review of Grand Rapids golf says this about Pilgrim’s (paraphrasing): you can use slopes to feed your ball to the hole. Is this true? Is it more true at Pilgrim’s than Diamond? If so, that’s pretty appealing. I do enjoy that style of golf way way more than hit-and-stick.

1 Like

You can’t go wrong with either. Both courses have the ability to use the slope of the greens to get it close to the hole.

I love Pilgrims, but that’s since I’ve played it a few more times. It’s one of my favorites in the area.

Diamond will be a touch cheaper but the conditioning might not be as nice as Pilgrims.

Honestly flip a coin or pick which ever makes more sense to your schedule and travel plans.

2 Likes

The consensus is that they’re all great courses and it’s very hard to choose which to cut out lol.

I’m saying this as I’m about to play Diamond Springs on Sunday, but my 2/3 would be The Mines and Pilgrim’s Run. Diamond Springs is so good and affordable that they might as well all be tied though…

I played The Loop last weekend for the first time and only played 1 direction and while I’m dying to do the other routing now, you can suffice with 1 round. As you go down the fairway it’s so fun to look back and see how it would play the other way. It is truly like links golf & Forest Dunes is definitely worth playing imo as well. Coming from across the country I would play The Loop first for sure though.

Badass trip man, definitely jealous!

2 Likes

While you’re at Arcadia, even if you only play the south and not the bluffs course, do yourself a favor and grab a beer and sit on the lawn chairs behind the clubhouse. Great place to take in the beauty of Lake Michigan in the summer.

6 Likes

Diamond Springs is not as affordable as every woke golf outlet would have you believe (if you’re thinking $30-$35 you’re in for a surprise). And the new owners aren’t doing an amazing job of maintaining it. It’s a good course, but it’s absolutely not worth planning a trip around, no matter what Tourist Sauce says.

Source: live 20 mins away and play it semi-regularly.

4 Likes

I think that if you can’t play the Loop both ways you skip it. I played the Loop last weekend and HATED it after only playing it the first time. After the second time it was much better, I enjoyed it much more, and I’m excited to go back. I think had I only played one routing I would have said avoid it.

Of the three Devries, I’m partial to Diamond Springs. It’s isn’t $30 but I think I walked it two weeks ago for $40ish on a Sunday morning. I thought the conditions were fantastic and they’ve expanded their food/beverage offerings to make it quite enjoyable.

2 Likes