Roll Call: Michigan - support the Green Fairway Fellowship!

Free top dressing? My family has a home near there and the grass just grows through it eventually. I’m sure Arcadia wont just sit around and wait for that though.

2 Likes

Last call for MI matchplay action. I’ll set up the bracket tomorrow!

Edit: Matchups are live in the google sheet! Additional info posted in the FCF.

6 Likes

Clawson, MI.

2 Likes

I may have totally missed this, but when do first round matches need to be completed?

4/18

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/mi-matchplay-2022/70499?u=paroutfromhere

1 Like

Yo Yo! If anyone is interested, I do an event down in Indiana each year. It is at 2 courses one of which is maybe my favorite in the midwest. If you don’t mind a bit of a drive, it’s a great time.

2 Likes

This looks awesome and I would most def be interested if I wasn’t going to be out of the country.

1 Like

@Kirk19 I haven’t played cedar chase yet but have been wanting to for a while. Did you like it?

I think it’s a really fun course. Not going to blow your mind but definitely a fun layout!

2 Likes

I’m staying a night out near Brighton for work and was hoping to sneak out after my work is done for the day if it’s not too wet. Anyone know any good courses in the area that are potentially open?

I’ll list a few, but you’ll have to call to check if they are open. That will probably be the biggest question mark in the next few weeks. These are in a rough order for proximity to Brighton and quality based on previous seasons.

Moose Ridge (opens 4/1 according to website)
The Majestic at Lake Walden (not sure when they open)
Kensington Metropark GC
Lyon Oaks GC
Tyrone Hills GC (always open. Walked it two weeks ago - condition OK)

2 Likes

I’ve driven by Tyrone Hills 800 times. Seems like someone is always on the course, regardless of the weather or time of year.

The rolling land there looks pretty amazing, but from the highway it looks like probably not a great course. Thoughts?

2 Likes

Moose ridge is dope. Dunham hills is also legit

3 Likes

It’s fine. There’s some quirk but I enjoy it. There’s not much to it but I don’t think you’d have a bad time.

I’m from Fenton so there’s a little bias but I spent my summers on the water and not the course.

2 Likes

As long as Majestic rates are reasonable at the moment. I don’t mind the course but their rates are insane.

1 Like

I think huntmore is the best bang for you buck out that way

1 Like

Tyrone Hills is surprisingly quite interesting. Cool elevation changes, extremely wide fairways, nice layout. It’s just a fun place to play, especially early in the season when your expectations for conditioning aren’t very high. That’s probably my biggest knock on it during the season - it gets quite a bit of play and the conditions are in the B- territory. All things considered, I’m a fan.

4 Likes

Not sure if it’s open but I always thought Hunters Ridge was a fun off-the-radar course. About the same distance from Brighton as 'lil Tyrone

1 Like

RE: Majestic - agreed on the rates. They are usually pretty good in April (around $50). Mid-summer too high. With 27 holes, they often have a twilight rate for 9 holes that is really good, though.

RE: Dunham Hills - love this quirky course. Right down the street from me, so I play it often. It has never been very good early in the year, which is why I didn’t mention it. Seems like they really struggle when it is wet. Come back in June/July/August. Super fun.

RE: Huntmore - similar to Dunham, several greens and fairways will be very wet unless they figured something out the last few years. Kind of a love-hate on Huntmore amongst the people I golf with.
Seems like higher handicaps hate it, lower seem fine. Doglegs, bizarre trees, houses in play. I personally think there’s a lot better golf in the area this time of year.

1 Like

Good call on Tyrone hills, I called just about every place around and they’re the only ones open. I’ll try to battle the wind this afternoon out there I guess. Probably a stupid decision, but I don’t get many work trips where I can play lol.

4 Likes