Roll Call - Metro NYC

For both the 2002 and 2009 US Opens, the buses came in/out using the gravel path over yellow #10. Sucks for the course, but the logistics actually worked out great.

What’re everyone’s favorite outdoor courses in the NYC area?

The Bethpage facility. Probably.

4 Likes

100% Bethpage.

1 Like

Bethpage is great but obviously takes awhile to get around if you’re on the black, less so but still on the blue. Located in NYC so going to try out Francis Byrne located in NJ, Rock Spring (banks/raynor that the town is buying (https://www.tapinto.net/towns/soma/articles/west-orange-council-votes-on-purchase-of-rock-spring-golf-course-5)), Nechanic Valley. Trying to find some diamonds in the rough. Also depends what your looking for. Ferry Point isn;t worth the price

2 Likes

Unfortunately public golf that is truly in NYC area sucks, except for FerryPoint, which as someone mentioned is not worth the price. Course is pretty boring apart from the last 3 holes and a couple others.

Need to take a car or train ride to get to anything decent (think NJ, Long Island, north of NYC, CT). Turns golf into a 7-8 hour process, but better than playing a 5+ hour round on a shitty course.

Neshanic is an awesome course!

Definitely makes sense! I like going out to NJ.

Crystal Springs is a good place to go to for a long weekend

3 Likes

Agreed. Underrated and not too far from the city.

Would love to make a trip slightly upstate if getting on the ross course up there is possible. Glens falls I think is private.

anyone been to the par 3 course by jersey city?

I definitely have it easier now that I’ve moved out of the city. I avoid weekend golf in the summers unless I have an early time (before 8am). I try to play during the week when possible and find that early times during the week can be done in 4 hours with ease.

My goal this year is to play more twilight rounds, especially after work when possible.

Agreed. However, I like Wild Turkey better than Ballyowen.

I was more so just talking the resort in general not any specific course.

I think my order of favorites there would be Wild Turkey, Ballyowen, Crystal Springs then Black Bear. Cascades is good for a quick twilight 9 but doesn’t really compare to the others.

2 Likes

The Pound Ridge Pete Dye course is great.

2 Likes

Do you really like Pound Ridge? I think it is a beautiful spot, but the golf course was practically unplayable for me. And I love most Pete Dye courses. There were several holes where there was only like a 10 sq yard wide patch to land your ball, or else it was lost. Maybe I just suck (can confirm), but it was really rough for me, especially if you paying those fees.

1 Like

I do like it. I always keep in mind that Dye is a total sadist, and some good shots go punished by his design aesthetics. I wouldn’t put this particular course in the top echelon of his courses, but for a public course near-ish to NYC (as per this thread), I think it’s worth a round or two to enjoy. Especially in the autumn.

Do you guys like Pelham Bay / Split Rock? I always enjoyed going out there. Fun routing, lots of gettable holes and good land movement.

I hear you. I played as a single and got grouped with 3 guys from CT. Really good guys, and no terrible players, but one guy lost 18 brand new pro-v’s during our round, mostly with seemingly decent shots. Watching a guy who is probably a 10-12 index lose so many balls definitely impacted my view of the place. Seemed like all 3 of them were loaded, so it did not bother him at all. In fact, they were all members at clubs in CT, but came over to play Pound Ridge periodically because they really enjoy it. I think I might enjoy playing a scramble there. In some ways, it reminded me of The Crossings at Carlsbad, right near my old house in CA. Some very cool holes, but some seriously ridiculous stuff going on.