Roll Call: Maryland

I highly doubt it. Don’t see courses being open by then. I hope I’m wrong.

3 Likes

Has anyone heard anything about when courses in Maryland might be re-opening?

From what Hogan said yesterday during his presser, sounds like we will be getting more info on starting the re-open phase of everything next week.

Honest question, but what has changed that would make re-opening any better now than when they closed? Obviously we’ve flattened the curve which was the goal, but it’s not like we fixed anything yet.

1 Like

As much as I want to be out there, you’re right. If they weren’t open before there’s nothing really different golf wise now that would make them re-open

1 Like

I feel like that sentiment is getting lost in the race to open back up the economy…a little patience in the short term could go a long way in preventing this lock down from dragging out. As much as I want to play golf now, I would rather wait a few more weeks and then have the rest of the year to play, vs getting everything back up and running too soon and having the country shut down for a second time.

My limited medical knowledge makes me think that since the area has not been hit as hard by the virus as other parts of the country, we would be more susceptible to an outbreak once things open back up since less people have built up antibodies to the virus.

3 Likes

I heard a rumor (allegedly from someone connected to a member of Hogan’s staff) that he’s going to lift the restriction on golf on May 1. We’ll see.

3 Likes

My own guess, completely uneducated to be fair, is end of May. I hope I’m wrong, but golf also is the least of our concerns, regardless of how much I’d like to be playing.

Is Maryland going with the staged re-opening that other states are looking at? I haven’t looked too hard, but I’m curious where golf courses will fall in PA’s 3 stages.

Good lowered I hope you’re right!
Neighbors getting tired of my wiffle ball wipey fades clanging off their siding (in my defense, I hollered “fore right”)

I got an update from a buddy who knows the head of the MSGA and they had a meeting with Hogan today confirming the May 1st reopen.

6 Likes

This would be so huge…they need to do it right, with appropriate restrictions though

1 Like

Will be very interesting to see how they handle this, but yeah this could backfire quickly without guidance.

Courses need to spread out tee times, continue with no rakes, and raised cups/no flags. Forcing pre-pay online would be beneficial too.

Edit: also walking only or 1 person per cart

1 Like

Do it the same way as Delaware: walking only. Seems to be working pretty well for them. This would be great considering I’m done with college work next week and my golf withdrawals are getting to me

I won’t lie, I will be playing. But I’ll for damn sure be doing it by myself.

3 Likes

Totally fair. Depending on the guidance, I might make a trip out of DC to a more remote course. I’m more willing to play now that it seems like there are decent systems in place and courses that are actually contactless. Definitely not playing somewhere in the District anytime soon, even if they open up.

2 Likes

With the MSGA being involved they have to have a set of rules/guidelines for this. My corworker told me today that people have been walking on the muni in our neighborhood since this all began and just playing for free. Mega scummy IMO

1 Like

I havent given this much thought but do you think that when golfing in a 2some you would be able to stay further apart that as a 4some for more social distancing? Tees and greens are the issue, and it might be easier if groups are limited to 2 golfers.

1 Like

Imagine the tee sheet filled with single names from 8 to 6. 10 minutes apart that would be 6 golfers an hour or about 60 golfers per day.