Roll Call: L.A. County

My job is moving me from the Midwest to the Los Angeles area next month. While I have family out there and some college friends, none of them are golfers. I lived in Torrance for a summer a few years ago and played Los Verdes and the Long Beach 18 frequently. What tracks do you LA Refugees frequent?

It’s a public course wasteland out here. I’m on the westside so my local options are limited to Westchester and Rancho, both of which are in rough shape. I played 9 holes at Westchester early in the AM last week and 3 of the 9 greens had active sprinklers sitting in the middle of them, which i guess is why it costs $13. Gotta go down to Los Verdes or up to Rustic Canyon to find good courses, but it’s an hour+ drive.

Anyone near LA heard any reviews of the new Rolling Hills Country Club near Palos Verdes or how it compares to the classic country clubs in LA? I saw it was done by McLay-Kidd so i’m intrigued.

I’m in the same boat as @bmr21 (live near Rancho). I keep my handicap at Penmar which serves its purpose as a nice little 9 before work.

Rustic Canyon up in Moorpark is absolutely worth the drive. I get up there 4-5 times a year and it’s always great.

The Ike course at Industry Hills is only $64 on Mondays and is the best value around. Great course and always kept in amazing shape.

Join the SCGA and do some of the member outings. Those tend to be good values at the nicer spots. There are a ton of options within a 30-60 min drive.