Roll Call: KC Area

Hey Everyone - going to be in the Overland Park area. Hitting up Ironhorse in leawood for sure - any other tracks down there I should try out ?

St. Andrews and Sykes Lady are two public courses that get a lot of play, but are usually in pretty good shape.

2 Likes

If you are south Sycamore Ridge in Spring Hill. Little bit of a drive but worth it. They punched greens mid August so should be rolling well.

2 Likes

Creekmoor Golf Club! about 15 minute drive from Iron Horse.

Should we have a fall meetup event? Yes? No? Maybe?

Mid to Late September?

4 Likes

Barn Burner is Sept 25th and 26th FWIW

That might be far enough in the future that my wife forgives me for playing in the member guest…

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for the recommendations

Heres the itinerary - turned it into a 4 round money match with the boys

Friday Shoal Creek
Saturday Sycamore Ridge
Afternoon Sat Ironhorse
Sunday Swope Memorial

Sundays subject to change to Creekmoor depending if I can get an early enough tee time later this week (can’t make a tee time unless its 3 days prior)

Thanks again !

2 Likes

That’s a nice lineup. And a good sampler platter on KC golf.

well unfortunately Creekmoor is probably not good this weekend. We are aerifying start tomorrow. The greens will be pretty ruff this weekend. But if that does not bother you the rest of the course is in great shape.

What’s up everybody! I’m Colby, I’m in law school at KU, living in the KC metro area. New to the Refuge but have been a longtime fan of NLU. Looking to connect with some new people to golf with.

I work at Falcon Ridge Golf Club - a private course in Lenexa. I can usually get a tee time about once a week and get non-members in for a reduced fee.

Let me know if anyone wants to play a round anytime - love the game and working to get better every time out. Love a local muni and really like to walk a course.

Happy to be here. Cheers!

3 Likes

Welcome Colby! I’d be down to snag a round either at FRGC or any other course you’re interested in playing.

1 Like

Hey Everyone - Not from KC but I have been here for a few weeks. I took Monday & Tuesday off and am looking to play 36 on one or both days. I’m staying in the Leawood area. Let me know if anyone is interested in playing

• Brandon
1 Like

Hello all! Found the NLU content during quarantine and finally found my way here. Grew up on the south side of the metro but live close to minor park now!

2 Likes

Hi folks. I’m Jack. I’m an engineer working/living in Nevada, MO about 1-1.5 hours south of KC. I play pretty much every weekend at random courses in KC or at the Lake of the Ozarks. I’m a member at Osage National, can bring guests for $20 off rack rate. Would definitely be down to play with some people from here and/or participate in a meetup.

1 Like

I played Sycamore Ridge today and it was in shockingly bad shape, especially the front 9. Totally different from last time I played in late July, when it was in great condition. I asked what happened and they said it was the combo of dry weather in August and super high traffic that beat it down.

It has been insanely busy this summer. I haven’t played out there in about a month but I can imagine how much worse it has gotten.

How bad is “shockingly bad” ?

Lots of dead areas in the fairways, especially in common landing areas. Greens very rough due to unrepaired ball marks, some dead areas apparently from traffic, and some spots where it looks like they moved a cup and the plug didn’t take in it’s new position. Some tee boxes are in extremely bad shape. I’m kind of zen about that kind of thing for a $60 round so was still able to have fun but if you know what it’s like when it’s in good shape, it’s a night and day difference.

1 Like

Oh man. That’s nutty. Compared to what it was a month or so ago. Yikes. But thanks for the heads up. Gonna divert our group from Sycamore to Stone Canyon.