Roll Call: Indiana - Old Broken Bucket registration #1309 - crossroads-coop.com

Good for you, Oak Meadow is a fun track. I have been toying with joining Rolling Hills but cannot commit. I hear bad things about the tee sheet being jammed up and slow which defeats the purpose for me. I did a summer preview at ECC last summer and that spoiled me. Too much to commit to, unfortunately.

Quail is super close by, but last time I was there the greens were unplayable. It has been a while though. Might have to give it a try again. It’s a Tom Doak! haha.

Yeah, back until 2010ish Quail was amazing. It actually used to host a Hooter’s Tour event way back in the day. Unfortunately, the original owner sold it to Warrior golf who came in and raised the price and quit taking care of the course. The city of Booneville bought it and has made some pretty big strides, but they still have a long way to go. It’s by far my favorite routing in the area, so I really hope they can get it back to it’s original condition. If you ever need a playing partner at McDonald or Fendrich here in town, I’m always down though!

1 Like

A friend of mine is the GM at a course just outside Louisville, Ky. on the I71 corridor going toward Cincinnati. He will be retiring at the end of 2021 and they are looking for an Assistant General Manager to come in and learn the ropes for the year and hopefully take over in 2022. If anyone is interested shoot me a PM and I can point you toward the best way to apply.

Hey, I finally found an up-to-date aerial view of the Pfau Course! A year and a half old, but better than the old course that is still on Google and Apple Maps.

1 Like

Very excited to go check it out this year. Sounds hard but I am sure year by year they are going to make it more playable. If people remember, the Purdue course was an absolute nightmare before they cut down some fesque.

1 Like

Hey all, I am looking at organizing a short trip for myself, my dad, and my 2 brothers in July to the Indianapolis area. I am trying to keep this as budget friendly as possible while also not playing complete dog tracks. Prelim research through this thread has lead me to add West Chase as a lock but anything else is still up in the air. Trying to keep green fees under $50 for a weekend(tough I know) so from researching, that rules out a hefty chunk of the super quality courses. My original itinerary before doing a deep dive was 18 at West Chase on Friday, 36 at Eagle Creek on Saturday, and then ? On Sunday. Saw Oak Tree, Links at Highland Crossing but pictures on a website can be deceiving. Are we better off going to the more east side of Indy? Any help is appreciated!

Not sure I’ve ever heard of West Chase as a lock, but if they’re truly past their financial problems then I guess it may be true.

Sahm Golf Course in the Castleton area would be a pretty good choice. A Pete Dye and it is posted $38 riding on the weekends for 2021. Usually in pretty good shape- the boys and I play it a lot in the summer with their Juniors special.

It would preclude pre-planning by more than a week, but there are usually some good deals on GolfNow around here.

Also, a shameless plug, but if you follow @golfindy on the socials we will be ramping up our content (and hopefully giveaways) as we get in to Spring.

West Chase is a solid course for the price. The best course for the money is just north of Indy in Lebanon. About 25 minutes or so. Trophy Club is truly a hidden gem that you should play.

If you play Eagle Creek, play the Sycamore course as it’s the better of the two. Links at Highland Crossing used to be super nice, but has lost its shape so not sure what kind of condition it’s in now.

3 Likes

I will echo Trophy Club as a must in the affordable range. It’s been 6-7 years since I’ve been there, but I’m pretty sure on a Friday we played 36 for under 50, and it was my favorite course on a trip that included Brickyard and the Fort.

1 Like

If and only if you are good golfers the 60 mile drive from the airport to Hulman Links is well worth the effort. 2021 Hulman Links Rates — City of Terre Haute Government

1 Like

I’ll second Hulman Links. I’m from there and its a fun place to play. They have really been doing some work there the past couple of years. New Pro and I believe they have new carts as well.

1 Like

Everything said here ^ is 100% accurate

1 Like

Would the second course at Eagle Creek be sufficient for a 2nd course of the day for a 36 hole day? Just the convenience of having 36 holes on site is what has roped me in. Are there any other public 27+ hole courses worth looking at?

Yeah, it will be fine. The convenience will outweigh most other factors there.

One option you may want to explore for your 36 hole day would be the Purdue courses. I can’t remember what the weekend rates are but for 36 in a day those two courses would be worth the drive up to W. Lafayette.

Efforting the good people here. Buddy of mine is probably going to be taking lessons soon, lives in the Fishers/Fortville area. Any good recommendations for instructors down there?

Not quite in Fishers but had a great experience with Mike Asbell out of Golf Club of Indiana. Does a lot of good work with the junior golf community but also with adults.

1 Like

I had a great experience working with Fred Mattingly last year (took 10 lessons over the spring and summer). He was at Golf School of Indiana at Prairie View but has now moved to MZ3 Golf at Gray Eagle in Fishers. He does a lot of work with top juniors in the area, as well as with people of all ages and skill levels. Fred does a nice job of using video analysis, training aids, and drills. Highly recommended.

2 Likes

@papateeps I couldn’t agree with this more. I’ve been going to Fred for 5 years. Took me from shooting mid 80’s in high school to a plus handicap. Does a great job explaining what he is trying to get you to do and why. Also Golf Digest named him one of the top 5 coaches in Indiana. Great guy great coach.

1 Like

Thanks for the recs! Gray Eagle would be perfect, it’s ~10 mins from his house.

2 Likes

Of course! Would recommend your buddy check out his website. Usually runs specials on bundles of lessons during certain points of the year.