Roll Call: Indiana - Old Broken Bucket registration #1309 - crossroads-coop.com

I currently live the south broad ripple area but recently purchased a house in Noblesville. How was Broadmoor? If I was staying in the Indy area that was the only club I was interested in joining. Maybe I’ll get a round or two out there feigning an interest in membership and politely declining (scummy, but how else will I get on). Who knows, maybe they’ll rope me in.

Haven’t played purgatory yet, but I see they have a pretty reasonable membership. I know it isn’t private, but if buying a membership saves me money and gets me alot of rounds on a course that I’ve only heard good things about, I’m 100% in. Better than dumping $20k up front for a place like Sagamore…

Also interested in getting up further north. Growing up in Fishers, there was just too many courses around there to be interested in staying too far from home. What/where are you studying? I assume, being a boilermaker, that you are in turfgrass at Purdue?

Broadmoor is a great course. I have a few friends who work out there, so I get to play there a lot with them during the summer. It’s a good, hard Donald Ross course that doesn’t get a whole lot of attention in the Indy country club scene with Meridian Hills and Highland being close (Personally I think Broadmoor is by far the best of the three courses). I know membership has been super cheap over there lately, as they’ve been losing ground to the other country clubs the last few years. Like I said, I think it’s the best of the three in the area, especially given Meridian Hills had maybe the only interesting hole on their course closed almost all summer.

2 Likes

Currently studying Golf Management at Trine University… yes it’s a real major and it’s been amazing. We’re in high demand right now and it’s growing every year. Broadmoor was delightful and it was a glimpse into exactly what I want to do as a profession. @jmo hit the nail on the head with a description there and as a prospective you can get a round in for sure. I’ll tell you it’s really on the rise and gaining some hold in the area. When I left back for school I think we were plus 70 something members on the year and on the way back. I’m not sure yet if I’ll go back for a second year but its at the top of my list

What’s up folks? Just got a new job in Indianapolis and I move here next week, would love to play a couple times before winter hits. What are the solid courses here in town? @Ty.Webb I think I’m actually moving into Broad Ripple.

Great news! Indianapolis has a great few courses, also PM me on here if you want any housing advice in the area.

In the Indianapolis metro area, there’s definitely more good private golf than there is public golf. With Pete Dye beginning his architecture career in Indianapolis it’s hard to find a course that hasn’t been influenced by him. If the broad ripple area is going to be home base, I’ll give you a few public tracks within the 10-15 mile range:

The Fort https://thefortgolfcourse.com/
This course was built on land that was once a military base. Pete Dye and one of his associates Tim Liddy built this course in the late 90’s. I wouldn’t consider it a walkable course, but it’s pretty fun. Unfortunately, the play can get pretty slow…

Brickyard Crossing https://www.brickyardcrossing.com/
This course is located right by Indianapolis Motor Speedway, holes 7-10 are actually in the infield of the racetrack. An LPGA tournament is played here every year. The greens fees reflect this fact. I’ve actually neglected to get out and play this course quite yet, so I feel a tad fraudulent recommending it but i’d be remiss not to include it.

The next two courses are a bit farther north than Indianapolis. There are a TON of courses in this area, but I’ll give a few recs of courses that I enjoyed playing recently

Plum Creek https://www.plumcreekgolfclub.com/

Another Dye design in Carmel. Not sure where you’re from, but if you imagine the most uppity suburb from your hometown, that’s what Carmel is. Tons of both public and private courses in the area, Crooked Stick is one of the most notable private courses in the area where John Daly won the 91 PGA as an unknown. However, Plum Creek is a public course with a pretty decent membership of folks that live around the course. I had a pretty good time playing out there the last time I was there. There are (2) other courses that but up against this property (Prairie View and River Glen), however this one is my favorite.

Golf Club of Indiana https://golfindiana.com/index.htm

Not much to say about this one. It’s a little north of Indy, but you feel like you’re on a farm. I had a pretty enjoyable walk the last time I played here.

If you’re looking for something more particular, or private course recs I can do my best. Like @ausmil said, Broadmoor is probably the only course I’d consider joining in the metro area. Donald Ross course and they’re doing everything they can do to get members. Waived initiation and low dues (at least the last time I inquired about membership).

1 Like

I live in Broad Ripple and play most of my rounds at Broadmoor although with so many solid courses in the area I do like to get out occasionally for some variety. I know it’s not unique to the courses in Indianapolis but they can become very crowded which at peak times during the season can deteriorate the conditioning and lead to some very long rounds. As mentioned above Broadmoor is a solid course with emphasis on approach shots and short game. My opinion is that if the course is convenient and you will golf there regularly there’s a decent value to being a member. Lastly, perhaps the best benefit is being able to regularly play 3 hour rounds.

1 Like

I think you may have just sold me on membership…

Good analysis of the best courses up there. The Fort is beautiful. Brickyard Crossing is pretty easy but gosh is it an absolute treat. Cannot recommend it enough. The first time you play a hole inside the track it is really cool. My first time playing was a few years ago in a high school match and while I was on the tee of the tough par 3 seventh, Jeff Gordon was tire testing and it was so loud. You have to be ready to play through some serious noise. Plum Creek is a great course at a really good value, although that value has led to a lot of non-golfers playing the course. This summer I played it a bunch and was a little disappointed with the conditions of the greens; they just get a little trashed. Still love the course. GCI is a pretty solid course, does a good job of testing pretty much everything in your bag. It’s a little pricey for what you’re getting though: nothing super exciting just a solid course in good condition. I know Ty mentioned it above, but Prairie View is awesome. Probably the best public course in the area. Purgatory is also a great course up in Noblesville with some really interesting holes. In terms of private courses, you can read my comment from a few days ago, but I can also recommend Broadmoor.

I have such a sour taste in my mouth from Prairie View. Played there for the first time this year in 95 degree heat and absolutely got my shit pushed in for 18 holes. I’m sure when you’re playing good golf, the course is awesome. Classic “didn’t play well, course stunk” situation. I’ll give it another chance when the weather is a bit more forgiving.

I may have to take a poll on here of the folks in the area who have played purgatory to get everyone together. I haven’t yet and as a prospective Noblesville resident I can think of no better way to commemorate the first round than by playing with refugees come the 2019 season.

1 Like

For the first time in like 4 months I actually have nothing to do this weekend, it’s going to be cold as shit but apparently sunny. Anyone crazy enough to play Saturday or Sunday? Pretty open to anywhere. I’ll just continue pretending that it’s winter isn’t here.

Weather report for the weekend doesn’t look good. Saturday has a high temp of 41 and rain, Sunday only has a high of 35. We may get another weekend day in the mid to high 40’s this year but unless the weather forecast changes dramatically for this weekend I’m out.

Yea… when I looked the report said sunny. Now it shows precipitation on Saturday as well as some potential snow on Thursday.

I think I may have to make the full transition to indoor for the next 4 months.

May have to hit up Topgolf in Fishers at some point in the winter haha.

I’m down to get crooked with big corporate and watch some football at topgolf on a Saturday or Sunday.

So I’ve got nothing to do this weekend, so I’m thinking about just showing up at the topgolf in Fishers around noon to watch the first round of games on Saturday. Purdue plays at 3:30, ideally I’d be able to distract myself from the very probable shit show with equally shitty golf.

If anyone is interested let me know.

I am at Broadmoor now if anyone is interested.

Damn, missed my opportunity. Let me know the next time you’ve got an open spot and I’d gladly accept.

We played Prairie View a couple years and one of the guys lived in the bunkers/heather and swore he’d never step foot on that track again, lol. It has the potential to absolutely ruin your day if you’re spraying it.

Definitely… Even some good drives can go poorly depending on where you’re putting it.

I know I’ve mentioned it in here before, but I’m officially a Noblesville resident and I’m pretty sure that Purgatory is the only course (other than Sagamore) that I haven’t played before. Very excited for the first thaw.

Also, was warm enough to play the day before Christmas eve and I got out at Stonycreek. Talk about depressing, they lost some of their greens. Hopefully they’re able to recover I really like that place.