Roll Call: Indiana - Old Broken Bucket registration #1309 - crossroads-coop.com

2021 IU course update for you: I went out Sunday for my first round at IU this year. The winter of grow-in was very good to the course. I thought it sucked last summer, but many of the bare dirt areas have filled in nicely. With any kind of decent game I could have shot my handicap from 6700, I think 6200 will fit most people best. And people will be able to score if they play conservatively off of the tee. This was a big worry last year, when all non-fairway balls were lost.

Greens were slow, but it’s March. They are well designed, I’m a big fan. Zoysia fairways should probably wake up about May 1, and then it will be very good. I’m around if anyone needs a fourth.

It is very fucking expensive, $95 for Sunday afternoon, $110 weekend mornings, $80 sometimes during the week. I think it’s worth it once the Zoysia is green. They have to get the IU attitude off of the place, but hopefully that will die with the Covid precautions. The shop staff is not eager to please.

Compared to its public competitors in the southern half of our state, IU versus:

Pete Dye: WAY BETTER, the Dye is on another planet, difficulty and cost-wise.
Ross: INDESCRIBABLY BETTER. I know it’s a national landmark, or whatever, but I live 35 minutes away and I only play there when it’s free, and I only do that 0.5 times per year.
Otter Creek: Coin Flip for me, but Otter is $40 cheaper, and the staff is awesome. IU is for sure harder, but RTJ and Smyers have similarities in my eyes. Summarized by this thought: I have shown you the path, and you shall follow the path. Otter is plenty hard from 7000 also.
Any Fuzzy course: WAY BETTER, Fuzzy’s courses stink. Don’t play these courses.
Sultan’s Run: Better, but Sultan’s Run will always be my favorite (personal reasons).
Chariot Run: Slightly better, but Chariot is in the middle of nowhere and that hurts it. Chariot is way more fun. It’s a good course for a gambling game and a few beers on the back nine.

I can’t think of any other course down south that would even be in the conversation, even adding in the price point. If you care about money, listen to the radio, it’s free. If you want to play a great course in Southern Indiana, come to IU.

2 Likes

Forgot to post that I finally found an aerial view of the Pfau Course! With the old layout for comparison.

I miss the old driving range. That was the best place ever for a student.

Don’t know that the new driving range will ever get to that point, but I know they’re going to try some things, once Covid is over. Probably no mats, though.

1 Like

Thought I would ask this here. Got an invite to play Victoria National this fall and there appear to be no yardage books of that place out in the wild. Anyone in here happen to have one? If so, shoot me a DM.

Heading up to South Bend on Saturday to grab a polo from ND for a fellow Refugee. Who wants to get a round in somewhere up there? I’ve played Burke, never played Warren, not sure what other ones there are.

I’ll be traveling to Terre Haute for work on weekdays for a while, is Hulman the best public range? Looking to get some Mon, Tues eve work in.

Yes. Rea Park is another option and isn’t too far off the beaten path. It’s always pretty busy there from what I hear.

1 Like

Best course to play near I-65 on the way to French Lick from Chicago? Looking for something friendly for my high handicap buddy, but if it’s a must play course, he’ll suffer. Leaning towards The Fort right now.

The Fort is good, and should be easy enough for your friend as long as he can keep his driver somewhat on the face of the earth. It isn’t right off of the 65 but it’s close enough. It is a beautiful course.

I don’t know if it’s must play but Trophy Club is right off of the 65 in Lebanon and that is another great course. It is definitely harder than The Fort, and might be a little too hard for your friend, but it should be more affordable.

Just giving you another option that should be closer to your route.

2 Likes

Man The Fort looks really awesome (the land especially), but ya…it’s a 40 minute detour to French Lick. I’m also open to muni suggestions.

I mean, you’re taking 65 around Chicago to 465 South on the NW side of Indy to 67 south to Martinsville, 37 South to 56 West in Paoli.

Here’s your top three, being mindful of the route and proximity to it:

On 65 South, Trophy Club in Lebanon. That’s two hours from Chicago.
Drive another hour, Martinsville Country Club is usually pretty good and certainly not difficult.
45 minutes south from Martinsville, Otis Park in Bedford is pretty nice, and I was named after it, so that’s a possibility.

Bias because it is my home course. Curtis Creek is a pretty easy track. Nothing too crazy but would be fairly easy for anyone.

There’s a few off 65 in Northwest Indiana… but i’m alone up here and will let others recommend some better down south and if you’re a Chicago local already, they are pretty easy to get to.

1 Like

Purdue’s golf courses, Kampen and Ackerman, would certainly qualify. Kampen is the better of the two and is certainly more scenic, but much much harder and not quite high handicap friendly. Ackerman is a nice parkland style where your friend might not lose as many balls. Both Pete Dye designs and in great shape.

Sandy Pines up in Demotte, IN is also a really fun place to play. Doesn’t feel like the midwest when you’re out there.

2 Likes

I’ll be in Terre Haute from May 8 - 10 and am hoping to get a Sunday (May 9) morning round in!

I’d love to join into a group if anyone has an extra spot in one of their Sunday morning groups!

I am dropping off my the wife around 830and am free all day after that :call_me_hand::call_me_hand:

Anyone have an opening??

Hi all - Just moved to Bloomington and looking for recommendations on spots to play. Based on this thread it seems like IU is really the only spot in Btown worth joining, but I’d love to play some other courses around the area. Thanks!

Cascades is fun! City course nothing too crazy but they have 3 9’s a range and a little chipping/putting area.

1 Like

Sandy Pines is a little farther off of I-65 (by a few miles only), but that or Trophy Club are your bets if you’re talking north of Indianapolis. After that, you’ll be leaving I-65 for the rest mentioned above.

Cascades just finished redoing all their fairways and should be a good option. If you have a car, check out Eagle Pointe south of town- they always have great deals.

1 Like