Roll Call: Colorado -- @PJM v Colorado Golfers, @PJM only half guilty

I haven’t been able to play Falcon Dunes here in Arizona because they have the same rules.

Everyone keeps saying it’s open to the public, but I’ve not seen anything to suggest that’s true.

So this was the policy forever, up until about 2010 when a super boisterous lawyer in the springs fought for the common man to be allowed on since most of the base is tax payer funded, a lot from Colorado Springs residents specifically. They just never publicized it. I’ve never done it myself, but I’ve heard from multiple sources it’s accurate

Edit: COVID may have an effect on the public policy

Seconding Walnut Creek. Colorado National is a good layout, but sometimes not in great shape. Ute Creek is a generic RTJ Jr. layout but it’s pretty good.

But yeah, it’s not great for public golf in that area. If you are willing to drive 45 minutes, you can get to Riverdale Dunes, which is solid. If you’re willing to drive further, there’s a bunch of good courses on the west side of Denver - Fossil Trace, Fox Hollow, Homestead (executive but a great course), and even a place like Willis Case. If you want to get together at one of the courses, I could probably swing that with some advanced notice.

1 Like

That’s correct. Public has been able to book tee times there for years now (although military gets a longer window to book ahead) and you would just tell them at the gate you are playing golf. It does say on the web site that it is currently only “Open to DoD ID and VHIC card holders” due to the virus crap.

1 Like

Take a look at the Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid. I was taking advantage of their free grip offer and saw that in the store. It’s basically a softer version of Golf Pride’s MCC with a cord infused section on top and rubber on the bottom.

1 Like

I saw that one. Super intrigued and am going to send away for one to see how I like it. Just trying to figure out how to manage more moisture up there.

Hello. I’m planning to visit the Denver area July 10-15 to visit a buddy. We’re planning to play golf basically every day. First part of trip will be up in Breckenridge, but then spending the second half in Denver.

Any recommendations for courses? Any way for a couple guis to get on at Ballyneal? :upside_down_face:

Colorado Springs is home for me, but I also lived in Denver for three years. I loved the day/half day trips up to Evergreen via Highway 74 past Red Rocks. You can stop and check out Red Rocks and hike the amphitheater, take a hike along the creek (also decent for fly fishing) at lair of the bear and stumble upon Dunafon Castle off the trail, then head up to old Evergreen for some lunch and hang out by the lake. Cactus Jacks patio by the creek, Lariat Lodge Brewing has great views, and Revival Brew’s has a wonderful little patio set up.

Unique courses that you won’t find outside of Colorado:

• Walnut Creek
  • Fossil Trace
  • Homestead (executive, but still great. Back 9 is unlike anywhere else.)

Good courses that aren’t necessarily unique to Colorado but worth checking out:

• Commonground
  • Murphy Creek
  • Riverdale Dunes

This is assuming no connections to any private places…

If you are up for driving a bit, there are some interesting courses to check out in Castle Rock, too. Bear Dance is fun.

3 Likes

It’s the right time of year when temps are so hot that a lot of members don’t bother going. Give them a call one week ahead. With temps currently forecast to be 102, there may not be a lot of members there Monday 7/13-Wednesday 7/15 and you might have a chance those days if the weather report remains like that. If you’re in good with your local public course pro, having him call and vouch for you would be even better.

Otherwise another great course that hasn’t been mentioned is Highland Meadows in Windsor, CO. Done by the same architect as the TPC Colorado course and a very good layout, but it’s about an hour north of Denver. Marianna Butte in Loveland, CO is another good one up north if you want to make a 36 hole day up there. The TPC up in Berthoud is a very good course with probably the best conditions of any public course in the state right now, but like most TPCs it is way overpriced at $175. If you call you can get on there as they have some public times available each day.

Also as far as mountain golf courses, I know Breckenridge had a lot of winter kill this year so I’d skip that. The Keystone River course is supposedly in great shape from some reports I heard.

3 Likes

This is great advice and good suggestions for courses! Appreciate it a lot.

Going to talk to my club pro and see how big her network of PGA Professionals runs and see what I can make happen.

Open for any other suggestions or ideas for courses.

Also, Copper Creek in the mountains is not a great layout and there’s a reason it is cheaper than the other mountain courses. If you do play there, don’t pay the rack rate. There’s online deals on teeoff.com for it at half the rack rate or better.
I took a look at the Breckenridge web page and at least they’re being open and honest about conditions: “Many putting greens suffered winter ice damage. Some have fully recovered and some are still not smooth.” Even if it was in good shape, Nicklaus designed that when he was still in his make courses tough phase. They softened it some over the years, but it’s still tough if you aren’t hitting straight.

1 Like

Any one have any course pros they recommend for lessons North of Denver?

I have no personal experience with him, but Ed Oldham at The Ranch in Westminster regularly gets listed as one of the best teachers in Colorado. You don’t have to be a member to get a lesson from him. http://edoldhamgolf.com/

Dan Sniffin at the Omni Interlocken also has won colorado pga teacher of the year in the past. Again no personal experience. https://dansniffingolf.com/

2 Likes

Fellow refugee from columbus here. Appreciate the recommendation for commonground from a lot of you guys throughout the thread. I got the chance to play it last week and feel like I could play it a ton and it’d never get old. From the design to their overall attitude to the game it was a great experience.

3 Likes

Commonground is just the best…could play there everyday and be happy. Glad you enjoyed this part of the world!

1 Like

Sneaking out to Steamboat this weekend…anyone have any experience Haymaker vs. Rollingstone?

1 Like

Personally, I like Haymaker more. It draws on links styling without the setting of homes/development.

RS is RTJ so it has that but I was reminded it was a development course several times while playing. One other point, RS is more expensive (~$50) unless you are staying in an affiliated hotel/rental.

Honestly, both are memorable courses and you won’t really go wrong with either. More of a personal preference question and I tend to link Haymaker’s style/layout/nature feel over RS.

1 Like

Looking to get out to CO National soon, how’s the walkability for the course? Never been out there, looking fwd to checking it out.

I’ve walked it quite a few times, though it’s been a while. I do remember some decent elevation changes so it was a tougher walk than a lot of other places.