Roll Call: Colorado -- @PJM v Colorado Golfers, @PJM only half guilty

Ironically, we’re leaving Denver this December for Oregon. Love CO, but can’t wait for the change.

We’ve been in Cap Hill for the past six years. It’s a great spot to be that’s close to downtown and would be close to your offices. 1br in our building (built in 1920 or so) is going for $200k or so and 2br for about $300k, give or take. If you’ve paid that much in rent, you can have a mortgage in a LOT of places in Denver.

If I had the money to buy in Denver, I’d move to Platt Park tomorrow. Good access to the light rail station just off of Broadway and Mississippi, nice houses, and quiet without being a suburb. Anywhere in that area is going to be solid. Not entirely sure what housing prices look like around there now, but last glance was around $650k+. Seattle’s not cheap either, so I’d imagine these prices aren’t a shock.

That’s my quick two cents on it.

But the real question is WHY LEAVE THE PNW?!

1 Like

There are a bunch of up and coming or changing Denver neighborhoods where all the cool kids live that aren’t directly “downtown” Central Business District but still are walkable to various restaurants, shops and bars.

A few are relatively close to a couple of Golf Courses, depending on your definition of close.

This was the first google hit on “Best Neighborhoods in Denver”. Just to get you started.

https://www.uncovercolorado.com/best-neighborhoods-in-denver-co/

I live up north in the Burbs now, but my wife works downtown and we used to live in LoDo for a time.

1 Like

For renting, that amount will get you more than a 1 bedroom, so you can pretty much pick wherever. If you do end up picking Boulder, you probably won’t be going to Denver much and vice versa. If you’re looking for private golf clubs, you have a much larger selection in south Denver. There is an overabundance of good public golf as long as you are willing to drive 20-45 minutes regardless of where you end up. If you’re looking to not have to drive in to work, that further limits your areas to where the train stations are.

1 Like

@brianhorne8: thanks! I’ll take a look at those. Seattle prices are nuts and I’m pretty sure still more expensive than Denver, but that gap might be closing. In our old neighborhood just outside of downtown, you could get an old 700sq ft, 1BR condo for $650k. Nonsense. I love Washington, but the weather is really getting my girlfriend down. I lived in Scotland for 7 years so I’m maybe more acclimatized to it. It will be hard to trade access to incredible backpacking, but you know, Colorado isn’t half bad.

@rka: I think I’ve been spoiled by walking to work for the last 5 years, but I may need to give that dream up at some point :slight_smile: . That’s why I’ve been willing to pay more for rent. Considering me and the Seattle NLU-crew typically drive an hour to golf, anything within that feels close.

I think we need to visit for longer and check everything out. I appreciate everyone’s thoughts as I barged in here!

1 Like

@inchmarlo Happy to help!

I adore that area. When we moved from NY/NJ in 2014 we ended up right on the corner of Broadway and Mississippi and that entire strip is so different even now. I think the big reason I like Platt Park and the surrounding neighborhoods is that it’s quiet since it’s removed from Broadway, but you’re still less than a mile from Sprouts (groceries), loads of bars and restaurants, South Broadway Country Club (2x indoor Trackman/bar) is right there, and proximity to the train downtown and I25 if you want to golf. Overland Golf Course is probably 5 mins away by car (not the best, but it’s fine), there’s a Target within 10 mins, and on and on and on. All the convenience of suburbia with the benefit of public transit and bikeability, if that’s your jam, too.

As you start to drift a little more west, expect to use your car more. To golf, you’re looking at a drive in any direction 20-40 mins subject to traffic, but the courses you have access to in that drive time are pretty spectacular. All of the really good public golf we have in Denver is probably, friends aside, what I’m most sad about leaving Denver over.

Side note: Anyone notice the sick posters SBCC has up for sale?

I gotta grab a hat and a few things before we move.

2 Likes

I’m up in Boulder living slightly outside downtown and loving it. I bit the bullet and joined a private club in the area only 5 minutes from my house, so it’s been great. I can confidently say that I rarely make the drive down to Denver, but there’s a ton of great golf down there.

1 Like

Apologies this one snuck through the notifications!

That’s some great perspective. I’m excited to visit and check it out with some fresh perspective. Platt Park has been added to the visit list :slight_smile: . And Trackman? Say no more!

1 Like

Hey everyone,

I’m thinking about getting in the car and getting out of the mean Highland Ranch streets for a day. Are Four Mile Ranch or Redland Mesa close to walkable?

Dreaming of the open road and push carting somewhere new to me…

Thanks!!

Quick on the trigger here because my chrome notifications are on. Just off of photos alone and all the tee times I’ve thought about reserving down there, Four Mile Ranch is almost certainly not walkable. But I hope I’m wrong because it’s on my list of courses to play before we move.

1 Like

Redlands is less than walkable I’d say. Engh design and all - lots of elevated tee boxes.

Out this way Battlement Mesa is a favorite of mine and very walkable. River Valley ranch is decently walkable and they have a block of times every afternoon that is only for walking. And the aspen golf course is a great walk. I’ve walked eagle ranch - a few hills that are easier in a cart but walkable.

2 Likes

I’ve done it a couple times and I’m heading there Saturday, but Four Mile Ranch is a challenging walk. The main problem with walking Four Mile Ranch is there are some big uphill transitions between holes and unless you are playing one of the forward tees, there are a couple holes where you have to walk back quite far to a tee box that is very uphill. Any time I drive all the way down there, I want to play 36 and you would be wiped out after walking 18. If you were only going to play 18 that day and you are in good shape, you can do it. The cost even with cart is cheap for the caliber of course it is though. $30 vs $50 on weekdays and $45 vs $65 on weekends make it kind of a no brainer to get a cart for the extra $20.

1 Like

I just opened up 2 spots for a 2PM tee time at CommonGround tomorrow. (Left a message to drop from 4 to 2, I’m sure they are slammed/Men’s Club this morning)

Just an fyi if anyone wants to give them a call and join.

Have a great weekend everyone!

2 Likes

In the good news category, I had a blast at CommonGround yesterday. That place just has a way of making me smile. @jhkaplan 's company for 9 wasn’t bad either.

Despite my general sense of pessimism and gloom, yesterday was a good day.

Here’s to a great week for my fellow Coloradans.

5 Likes

@jhkaplan is the 9 hole ambassador

2 Likes

CommonGround is just fantastic. How was the golf course? Been a few weeks since I have been, how was the ball mark situation and were some of those thinner areas growing in on a few fairways?

The fairways spots were growing in great and the greens were great. Some of the collars/runoffs were a bit long…but that might be a post men’s club day without a cut.

Just seeing this so I apologize. I live at Griffis union Station in downtown - totally recommend the building it’s walking distance to a lot of the downtown social things, 3 blocks from union station and there are a plethora of restaurants, bars, breweries and grocery stores within a few blocks. We have a 2 bedroom and pay around $2200/mo with parking storage and other things. I work in the apartment industry so if you want some good and free insight just DM me - I know most of the properties in and around dt in addition to being able to tell you about almost any public golf hole on the 80+ public courses that are within an hours drive of downtown Denver.

Here’s a patio view of Coors Field… I may have had a few barley pops one night and tagged it with my rangefinder (400 yds exactly)

3 Likes

Thanks man! I’ll definitely reach out as we get closer to making a decision. And did you say 80+ public courses?! Impressive.

1 Like

I posted it in the PNW thread but do you have insight on grip choices for life up there? I’ve played Pure Wraps for the last six or so years and like how soft but tacky they are. I don’t remember them giving me problems in the rain in Scotland, but it’s been a while and I wore rain gloves. I imagine I’ll be facing wetter conditions more often in Oregon.

You got any favorites for golf up there? I know most people like the Tour Velvet or the MCC or UTX. Any other standouts? Do you know folks that use rubber grips?