Roll Call “Chicago” (Part 1)

Based on the pics looks like 10$ per club. If anyone wants to set up a group pick I’d be in. I’ve seen the post around for awhile so I don’t know how much is left.

5 Likes

I’m 100% in on a group purchase situation if there is demand. I’m looking for a “basic full set” personally. Could there be a hickory outing?? Wouldn’t hate it. I’ll host at least 1 hickory foursome at OF it this happens.

10 Likes

Also in.

Wouldn’t hate having a set myself.

But can we all agree that if we do a hickory event we will ban anyone who wears plus 4s?

4 Likes

I’m also in.

I could swing by tomorrow night on way home from lake.

1 Like

Wait are any of these hybrids?

3 Likes

My grandpa forced my dad to throw a baseball right handed by giving him only left handed gloves. So to this day my dad throws a baseball right handed and a football left handed. It’s the wildest shit.

5 Likes

I throw a frisbee left-handed. No idea why. Just makes sense to my pea brain.

3 Likes

I play hockey left-handed because that’s the first stick I was given.

Shameless plug for a friend, but if anyone is looking for steel-shafted clubs 50s - present day, I have a buddy in the area that is an OG thrift golf guy and needs to clean out his garage. It’s not on hickory gui’s level, but it’s in the ballpark.

1 Like

Any good 9 holers (or courses with an awesome 9 holes) in the Lemont area? Wife has a bridal shower there this weekend and is trying to convince me to go along for the drive.

1 Like

Downers Grove golf course is a nice nine hole spot in the area, Some of the Cog Hill courses arent bad either.

3 Likes

This past winter I purchased a fresh set of brand new replica T. Stewart Series Hickory irons from Louisville golf. I am still in need of a putter so this could work out great.

My set: Jeanie Dean driver, mid-iron, Mashie, Niblick and Flanged Niblick. They are a ton of fun (and frustrating) to play.

When are people planning to plunder the garage?

1 Like

I’ve looked into this a bit over the last year. There is actually a national society for Hickory players with tournaments. There is also a separate handicap system for Hickory rounds. Here are a couple links if interested.

https://www.hickorygolfers.com/

I hate Facebook but there is this for Illinois:

1 Like

I coincidentally was at Mid Pines when they were playing a tournament and talked to a couple of the guys. Looks like so much fun and there are some seriously good players. Want to play a couple rounds with hickories before committing to the bit.

I have a super mixed set that ive picked up from garage sales and thrift shops. Would be nice to have a set with close to the same era

Fun fact, in both Canada and the US, about 90% of the population is right handed (probably holds for the rest of the world too). However, for years and years, stick manufacturers say that that based on what they sell, Canadian hockey players are about 60-40 lefty to righty, and in the US it’s just the opposite, 60-40 righty lefty. FWIW, I’m right handed and play hockey left handed. And shooting right handed feels completely unnatural to me.

4 Likes

I’m with the weird crew here. Golf right, hockey left, bat left, throw right, left eye dominate but shoot a gun right-handed and a bow left-handed. All out of whack.

2 Likes

I taught myself to bat lefty by hitting wiffle balls rolling off my roof, but only ever busted it out in softball games where we had huge leads.

The hockey thing actually makes sense because if you shoot lefty, and you’re right handed, your right hand is on the stick 100% of the time. Your “off” hand is really a lot more important than your “dominant” hand.

Bump. Need 1 gui to fill out the final roster spot. Doesn’t matter if you’re new, old, refuge member or not, we just need someone from the area to help round out the 16 person team and put the Fresh Coast Flock to bed.

2 Likes