Roll Call “Chicago” (Part 1)

These made me laugh.

I like Chicago because every few blocks there's a hot dog stand that's been opened since the 1893 World Fair and the original owner, a surly Polish immigrant, is somehow still alive and cooking but also really mad at you specifically. Just a cool vibe for a city to have.

— Brandon (@BrandyBeansH) September 2, 2020

New York get all the credit for being mean but east coast cruelty is mostly just "get out of my way, I have very important things to do!" while Chicago meanness is "I have literally all day to ruin yours."

— Brandon (@BrandyBeansH) September 2, 2020
2 Likes

@JBors I forgot to sign up for the match play but if there’s another drop out I’d be willing to fill in. Thanks

1 Like

State and local officials can now confirm our low net winner at Cog Hill punches a ticket to Jax Beach.

6 Likes

Maybe inquire about the winner of the 2020-21 match play getting an NIT invite in fall '21?

1 Like

Perfect timing for my rising handicap

My only rub on foxford is it’s not very walkable and I can’t get any of my normal Saturday morning crew to play it cause it is 30 bucks higher than any other nearby option and we are usually only playing outside of Mchenry CC cause of some dumb tournament so we end up at red tail or Boone creek

Man this is a bad time to have a vanity handicap, but I’m keeping it.

2 Likes

I hear that, but it’s worth $30 more than Boone Creek or Redtail for me usually.
Unfortunately most of the season it’s been more like $50 more, and that’s just too much. I’m playing FH next week because I finally snagged one of the $45 with a cart deals.
It is almost unwalkable in my opinion. Not totally, but almost.

You’re a member at MCC? Me and the lady almost hopped on the intro member deal, but eventually decided against it.
I like the course though. Been out a few times and it’s a cool, classic parkland CC.

Yeah I am out at MCC. Playing out there twice a week, I have gotten way better over the last 3 years. I keep weighing other options mostly cause I want to get my kids involved but the membership isn’t super kid friendly. Other options though like crystal lake or boulder ridge aren’t really my deal either though so I keep staying put and doing family golf out at foxford for 25 bucks after 5

Another plus with foxford is how well that course drains, but the greens are still very receptive and have some pretty cool funnels. I play the golds out there and it seems shorter than playing the whites at mchenry (i think MCC ends up 3-400 yards shorter on the card)

Let me know if you ever want to play. I’m pretty open until work gets busy in about a month.

I agree. Foxford gets pricey on Weekends. And walking is like walking 20 holes with the distance between 10&11 and 14&15

We played Foxford right around Christmas last year. Full tee sheet.

Second hole the foursome on front of us has three ball retrievers fully extended getting all the balls off the frozen pond. It’s backed up, whatever.

By the time we get to five, they have a hole open in front. They tee off six and immediately start with the ball retrievers on the pond between five and six as we walk down the fairway towards the green.

“Guys, you’re at least a hole behind. Can we get going”

“We’re not leaving all these balls out here!”

“If you’re fishing for balls when we are teeing off we are going over you.”

Finished on the green, they were still seeking out every abandoned Nitro on the pond, teed off then walked past them.

They then hit their second shots into us as we walk up the hill, but didn’t have the distance. One of our guys walks back to their ball, hits their ball down the hill and back on the frozen pond.

It’s a terrible, awful walk.

1 Like

That would be a great idea, I don’t remember who’s involved in the match play planning but I’m sure they’ll see this post and comment about that.

IIRC you need a Nest membership to play in the NIT so just a heads up there. With the state of my game at the moment I don’t necessarily see myself being in contention but I’m excited our hastily known together, almost canceled meetup is gonna have some pretty cool stakes to it. Any tie is decided by a chip off, and if first place can’t make it then second place gets the NIT spot and so on down the line.

I’ll take up the mantle of planning one (1) public outing for this thread a year, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have more! I’m standing in a wedding next fall (thanks for the delay, COVID), so expect an outing at MPGC in June. This time I’ll contact them early enough to get us a spot AND I’ll ask NLU for NIT spots so Tron doesn’t come at my life (and Chicago) again.

2 Likes

As I’m not likely to win it either, this is probably not important for me necessarily, but might be useful info for someone else.

Do you have to be a Nest member before the CH event to be eligible for the NIT?

I will find out.

1 Like

I will absolutely make sure we get this worked out for next year’s NIT.

What about the alderman? If they weren’t consulted City Council may file an injunction

1 Like

I believe you must be a member of the Nest to officially receive an NIT bid.