Roll Call: The Duck Club | Canadians, Beer and Cow Pastures

I haven’t played Vic East since I moved here - we’ll have to fit something in this summer.

I’m now avoiding my immediate work responsibilities and looking at tee times…

My next few weeks of work are disgustingly busy, but by mid-July I’ll be ready to take a Monday off for a 36 hole day up there. I’ll take a show of hands on who’s interested and let’s go for an adventure!

3 Likes

Also reading up on Lora. Hosted a Skins game back in 07 (which is very cool) but also designed by McBroom (with Lehman). The course I grew up playing most is a McBroom and the new hotness in my area is also a done by him. I gotta think I’ll feel pretty comfortable playing it even if it is harder than Cobble.

They also co-hosted a web.com Pro-Am with Georgian Bay way back that was sponsored by Gretzky

1 Like

Greetings fellow canucks, first time long time here checking in from Edmonton Alberta. I’ve been a long time NLU fan didn’t realize the community was this strong on the forum but happy to see it and jump in. From my short poke around the refuge it doesn’t seem like there are many people in my part of the province however I did see one person from Sherwood Park. I’ve no idea how this is supposed to work but I’m here and will start reading.

10 Likes

Welcome!

There’s also an Alberta thread for a more local focus:

1 Like

Me three. It’s been a few years since I played there and would love an excuse to make the drive.

1 Like

Cheers welcome. And that’s exactly how it’s supposed to work.

Check it out. If you want to come to the states right now, all you have to do is FedEx yourself!

1 Like

Great thanks for the info.

1 Like

Thanks dude.

Howdy. Sherwood Park here. Welcome to the Refuge!

Thanks, your profile reflects my situation, want to play more, young kids, finding time and playing partners is the challenge. I’ve not played much out your way but played whitetail a few times and the legends once. I’m actually east side of the city and quite close to broadmoor but haven’t played. Is it any good?

I like Broadmoor. It’s close and the price is right, and it’s typically in pretty good shape. The front side is fun, the back nine is a bit monotonous but overall, it’s a good course and worth a trip if it’s not too far out of the way. We’ll have to get a round in this summer some time.

1 Like

Same, remember it fondly, only bout an hour away for me now.

Played Tarandowah last Friday with my brother-in-law, and have to say what a treat it was.

Windy week down in SW Ontario/GTA, and the conditions were very firm and fast, which was awesome. 2-or-3 club wind, but honestly was even tougher playing downwind, iron shots would just get knocked down by the gusts. Greens were rolling as well.

On the same token, we were let through by a foursome and eventually had a couple hole gap, so we could have some fun shot-making challenges and totally enjoy ourselves. The firm and fast allowed a crazy amount of run-up, so you could chip a long/mid iron from and watch it trundle its way up to the green on some of the holes.

Even though we both EJECTED in the wind, one of the most enjoyable rounds I’ve had ever given the unique conditions, something hard to replicate at other tracks here in ON. Watching your ball bounce that much from the tee (rollout!) and then begging for a soft/friendly bounce on the approach was a fun dichotomy. Definitely savoured that round, for sure.

4 Likes

I have two rounds booked up at Pike Lake this weekend, which should be lovely. Course is in amazing shape and greens are recovered from aeration and rolling quicker and quicker by the week.

Let’s ignore the fact that my play lately has been a joke. I think losing 20lbs has also lost me my swing. If anyone has experience with weight loss induced swing loss, let me know.

2 Likes

I’m a member at Crown Isle in Courtenay and they will let you book as a single on the website. If you don’t want to sign up for an account you can call, i’m sure they will fit you in. If you’re looking for someone to play with let me know. Crown adopted strict protocols early and have so far stayed open the whole way through Covid. The other semi-private courses in the valley are open to members only right now. As @MarkInVictoria says it is a fun course despite running through a real estate development.

I haven’t played elsewhere on the island but Storey Creek in Campbell River is supposed to be good. It is 45 mins north. Campbell River golf club is supposed to be very well conditioned but a ho-hum layout.

I just relocated from Vancouver and my personal faves are Northlands, Seymour and Riverway. All would be within 45 mins of downtown as long as you avoid rush hour. (If that is a thing these days).

@sarah has good suggestions too, Langara is particularly fun but not long. Importantly it is accessible via the Canada Line which makes it 10-15 mins from downtown.

Northlands and Seymour are 2 minutes drive apart, ripe for a 36 hole day if you can swing it. Would have to be a Monday as that is the only day Seymour is open to the public.

2 Likes

This looks fun:

2 Likes

This will be great! Hope the live coverage turns out alright, interested to see who their teammates are. Thinking Jeff O’Neill and maybe someone from the Leafs?

1 Like