Roll Call: Bay Area Golfers

Exciting that SF may be getting a regular PGA Tour event at Harding Park from 2021 (which may also lead to a stronger field at the Safeway Open in Napa).
As an Australian, the only downside is that I won’t be able to see the Internationals get owned in 2026

1 Like

will they move the presidents cup because of this? or maybe they go back to back weeks with these 2 events because they’re both run by the pga tour

The article suggests that the contract to host a PGA Tour event at Harding Park would result in the course relinquishing the President’s Cup.

At one point it was rumored that they were looking at hosting it at Corica park which would have been sick if they could have made it work. Not sure they could get it long enough. Made me think it might be a good place for the LPGA to play and event (move the Swinging Skirts?)

how did you get on? are you a member or did you stay at one of the partner resorts? i’m going up there in a few weeks and looking for ONE more track to fit in the itinerary- have northwoods, and bodega booked. could use a recommendation or two.

my friend caddies at the club I work at and I guess caddies get playing privileges, great course very possible to go low.
tracks around santa rosa in good shape right now that ive played recently are, foxtail(north)always good shape but play earlier in the day if you can, windsor greens are pure as can be, again earlier the better and bennett valley is in good shape too.northwoods i played wednesday it was and always is a great experience. tayman in healdsburg is playin pretty well too. all in all the santa rosa and surrounding courses are in amazing shape right now, greens wise with all things considering

1 Like

New on this thread but I’ve got some questions. I live in Oakland so I’m gonna start there. First of all Tilden is horrible please don’t play there, pace of play is always horrid and that course is just so bad. It’s not anyone’s fault they did what they could with the land but it’s just stupid quirky. Second, am I the only one who thinks Corica south remodel isn’t that special, course is basically the same as it was before the change just in marginally better shape and even thats going downhill now. Baylands down in San Jose which is awesome is basically what Corica wanted to be but they won’t be until they get a real practice facility, invest in a real membership system and junior program. I don’t see that happening after it took so long just to get that course renovated. I’d take Monarch and over Corica any day at least for that area. Also do people think courses in Monterrey represent the Bay Area? That’s a long drive from the city for a round of golf. SF has the best golf for sure Presidio, Harding, Lincoln, Crystal Springs are all solid tracks. Green Hills is a Mackenzie design that is crazy underrated in my opinion, it’s private but don’t miss an opportunity to play there. Anyway that’s what I wanted to say, appreciate the thread.

3 Likes

Welcome!
Not liking Corica S is not going to be a popular opinion round here, but hey - we like what we like.
Enjoying Baylands however is close to universal. Lots of refuge games going down there.

I need to make that happen. My father grew up in Millbrae and caddied there as a teenager. Happy to take the initiative to get a foursome out there if there’s interest; pretty sure I can make a call or two.

Yeah I figured lol, and baylands is fantastic, totally agree. Wish we lived a lot closer, I’d play that far more often. I don’t know what others think but here’s my take on Corica S. I don’t mind the front nine, my main complaint is that they spent forever renovating it to give us what felt like the exact same golf course. And I don’t know what others think but I think 1,2,4,5,6,8 are fun to play for sure but the back just doesn’t do it for me. Is there really a hole out there that is special? 10 is the only one I really like, 11 might be my least favorite par 3 in the world then that stretch of 12-16 just doesn’t have any appeal for me, sorta feels like I jumped over to the north course for a few holes. 17 is Eh, the green is nice but I don’t feel like I ever get to Truly experience the design of it since I’m normally flipping a wedge in there. And then 18 I’m not a fan of either. Maybe if I just played the front I’d enjoy it more but I just don’t get excited to come back when I walk off there. I’d love to know what others refuge members see as the appeal, don’t want to totally bash it cause it does have probably the best pace of play in the area but I can normally time a round at monarch or Metro and get around fast enough and enjoy myself a little more. Anyway I appreciate the responses

It’s fantastic pure Mackenzie, played a tourney there last year and it gets dicey with those greens in the wind. Watched a really good player take a 9 on a par 3 when he was about 3 yards off the green after his tee shot. Just such an enjoyable place to play, I’d totally take you up on that round if I wasn’t headed down to AZ for the next few months in 4 days, would love to get back out there sometime, might be my favorite in the bay of the non Major championship Venues.

my dad was a member at green hills way back in the day (his one hole in one was on 15), back when I was in middle school he called them & said “I was a member here years ago can I come back & play” & they said yes so we just paid a green fee & played a round

Rad. Thanks for the recs!

That’s awesome, 15 is a hell of a hole on one too

Interesting to read your takes here. I’m a fellow Oakland resident and I view both Tilden and Corica through a very different lens. I value being able to get out of the city and into these very different landscapes so quickly and at reasonable prices. I feel like we’ve got it pretty nice compared to urban golfers in cities like NYC, Chicago, even LA. Tilden pace can be absolutely brutal but the place element really appeals to me. Historic track deep in a regional park…there are many worse places to spend some time.

Played a really fun and fast round with @hwb yesterday at Corica South and enjoyed so many aspects of the course. It’s in the eye of the beholder I guess, let’s play sometime and keep the dialog going. Also shoutout @hwb, really great dude to play with!

1 Like

I don’t think you’re wrong about the back at corica south. The only hole i really like is the first par 5, 15. Other than that the back is pretty blah compared to the front which i generally think is excellent.

1 Like

Yeah starting to think if they flipped the 9’s I’d have a totally different view of the course but that back 9 is a slog for me and in comparison to that front just doesn’t do anything for me.

1 Like

@MaxfliHT90TourBalata gonna hit up this thread when I get back to the bay, we should set a time up to play. Maybe you can bring me around on Tilden, since you’ve got a much more positive view than mine lol

2 Likes

absolutely let’s do it :white_check_mark:

Yeah, man! Total blast out there yesterday.

I think Corica has a good blend of challenges and nuance without being so difficult that it’s not enjoyable. The wind + firm conditions make the course play differently every day, every week. Fairway undulations, bunkers, and dry conditions make you think off the tee. Bunkers and false fronts on the greens make you think on the approach.

Baylands is my home course and I’m on the board of the Palo Alto Golf Club. The reno they did is remarkable. That said, I think it’s much more straightforward to play and presents fewer key decisions to make than Corica. There are also several holes classified as Par 5s that just aren’t. They’re great for scoring, but not challenging to attack. So, I generally play Baylands with the mindset of hitting it as far as possible without fear of much consequence. I routinely break 80 out there but struggle to break mid-80s at Corica.

I’d prefer pay my $27 twilight ($42 weekday rate) at Corica vs. paying anywhere between $38-$85 to play Baylands.

1 Like