Roll Call: Bay Area Golfers

I think I’m crossing Pasatiempo off the list on Dec 10th…anyone?

@mack the ncga is a good deal. I just moved here from chicago a little over a year ago. One season in, which I saved a lot of cash with the ncga membership.

1 Like

Did you tie it through a specific club or just the general eClub for your area?

I have the general eClub. I didn’t want to get locked into a track that I didn’t know. All you need is the general status.

Bay Area unite!

Shocked that nobody has mentioned Corica South - total rehaul of a completely mundane muni into something truly special. Not particularly long, but gorgeous and a fair test of golf with some truly special holes.

Can anyone give me an update of how Corica looks now? I moved away a year ago JUST before the opening of the south. I lived like 5 minutes away and I literally lived at this course. Probably hit 5 digits in the amount of balls hit, played the par 3 something like 75 times and looped the north course 30 or 40. Only lived there for a few years. The place really kind of retaught me what was good about the game. Hoping to hear that it still providing the same thing to the golfers that frequent the place. Hopefully they’re able to spruce up the north course as well.

1 Like

Only downside of Corica is that I could see the office that I worked in from the course. So even when I was away from work I could still see it looming…

It’s freaking gorgeous. Some have said it’s modeled after Australian links courses, and I’ve actually played one (St Michaels outside of Sydney) and while that didn’t occur to me, it’s beautiful. Rees Jones redid it, I believe. Bunkers are in the right places, the rough is fine unless you get really squirrely and then it’s brutal. There is a good mix of long holes and some drivable par-4’s with the right amount of risk/reward. Totally walkable but they’ve put in some elevation where there was none. It’s a bit spendy now (I think $90 for non residents) but worth every penny. Playing it in a few weeks and looking forward to it.

They are working on the North Course now, doing nine holes at a time to allow folks to play the other nine.

The pro shop is also great, sponsored by Linksoul so there’s some great gear in there. Hopefully they get a real clubhouse at some point but regardless the course is really great.

1 Like

The south track is super fun. The pace of play is something to be desired though. Last time I was there they had to provide rain checks… it was so bad.

This was a tactic that was used prior to the South course reopening as far as I can remember. The north course TOOK A BEATING when they were only down to 18 holes. I’m hoping to get back out there to visit friends and take a walk around the south.

I’ve only gotten out once since the redo but The south course is great! It’s Rees jones in name but the heavy lifting was apparently done by and Australian named Marc Logan I think. Plays firm and fast. Lots of bunkers that make you think off the tee. Some of the greens have a ton of movement. Follows the same basic routing except 1&2 were combined into a par 5 and they squeezed in a short par 3. I think the new par 3 5th is much better than the old 2nd hole. I think I had a 52* in hand and made a 4. It is pricy but better if you get ncga. Totally a easy walking course

1 Like

Welcome. If you are going to be in Livermore the NCGA is a no brained. Poppy Ridge in Livermore is owned by the NCGA so you get a major discount being a member. There isn’t a ton of golf in Livermore. Dublin Ranch is a fun par 63 tract with a good variety of holes. Las Positas gets a ton of play, they have an 18 hole course and a par 3 course. Wente is nice but pricy. If you drive up 680 there are a few courses in San Ramon and there is another in Castro Valley.

1 Like

Peninsula here. Crystal Springs has a good membership deal, so that’s my home course.

Half Moon Bay is pretty close.

Loved, loved Meadow and didn’t help that my best round was there. More walkable than Olympic, for sure. Also not nearly as busy!

Good to know. How can I get on the meadows? It looks to be private yes?

Yes, it is private with a pretty lengthy waitlist. I’m a member of a private club in the North Bay. Our club house burned down during the October 2017 wildfires and I was part of our re-build committee. I had our GM reach out to a few bay area clubs that we wanted to come see their clubhouses for “research” purposes. Those clubs naturally said yes and, of course, suggested that since we were there we should bring our sticks. That was my hook to play Meadow and San Francisco GC. Cypress didn’t bite.

Getting on Meadow requires being a member of another private club and using reciprocity, or knowing the right person.

Played the Bay Area last weekend. If Sharp went back to the original routing it would be a top 25 course in the states, high praise but it’s got so much potential. Travesty what’s happened to some of these munis. Northwood number 6 I believe doesn’t have the original tee box, would love confirmation on that. Talked to the guys at pac grove, they are adding drainage to 5/6 and adding a cart path. Maybe send some letters to put that cart path money into green enlargement instead of cart path creation? Anyway: Bay Area has some great public golf

Hi All, Going to be a visitor to SF from 1st-3rd of March and the wife has given me permission to bring the sticks for one round. Thinking TPC Harding Park seems a good bet due to location and quality. Was hoping to get an early round in on Friday 1st (7.30am ish) but they wont let me book as a single! Any Refugees care to join??

Played Harding about 10 years ago and thought it was the worst US$140 I’d ever spent.

1 Like