Roll Call: Bay Area Golfers

Thanks for all the advice gents! Contra Costa slipped my mind, that looks to be another good option. Fortunately no kids at this time, my parents live in Orinda so moving back to be around them. Dad will be the mayor in December if anyone needs any backyard putting surfaces permits approved :). My family also lived in MCC for a few years and was able to play there quite a bit, I agree the staff/clubhouse/amenities/conditioning are awesome but wasn’t a huge fan of the layout (a bit narrow for my spraying drive). Sequoyah looks like another gem up there in the Oakland hills. How about Ruby Hill? I know that would be a drive but heard its one of the better courses in the area

3 Likes

Former East Bayer who used to work and play at CCCC. I have such fond memories of playing there, it’d be way up on my list if I was in your position. The stretch of 4-9 alone is some of the best golf in the East Bay imo. Plus it was designed by A.V. Macan at roughly the same time he was also doing a little place called Cal Club (ever heard of it? :grin:) Can’t speak to the more recent RTJ renovation, but it solved the problem of #12 and made 17 a cool uphill par-5, plus upgraded the drainage and irrigation systems and green complexes.

Wish I had more hands to give more :+1:

2 Likes

Heads up everybody - the first (7 am) at Baylands just opened up tomorrow. Just grabbed the first spot, 3 left if anyone wants to join in

did you reserve all 4 or just 1? I don’t see the time available anymore

I need to cancel a 10:12am Corica South tee time for tomorrow morning for 2 people. Either PM me or reply if you want to snag it and we can synch on When I cancel so you can get it. I’ll cancel at around 1:30pm if no takers by then.

1 Like

Sorry - didn’t reserve because I wouldn’t have been able to cancel. If they’re gone, someone else must have grabbed.

Ah no worries! Thanks for the heads up anyways

1 Like

Sooooo… I hate opinions, including my own… but, if you can live in the Marina, live in the Marina. Dogpatch is a collective mix of things right now. But to be fair, there are a number of very nice, new, apartment buildings in that corridor. They are just very behind schedule on the re-development of it due to the Pandemic. Everything from Giants Stadium all the way down to Hunter’s Point has been on hold for sometime now. Your journey of course; and as my friend once noted about living in the Mission 17 years ago, “I like a little grime in where I lay my head…” I am admittedly a pansy for perspective.

Hey All… what is the collective thought here for courses that force a cart fee, and say it is included in the greens fee?

Just curious. I have played Half Moon Bay Ocean; and walked; but yea I was pretty salty about the whole cart included thing. I just got off the phone with 4 courses in the Tahoe Area; and cart is included with no walking rate. What is that? I didn’t get salty with them about it; but for me it is a pretty big turn off. Conversation starter more than anything.

1 Like

@WeekendWarrior

Also, my friends moved to the Upper Haight about 2 months ago into a real beauty. Beautiful neighborhood. They were in a solid spot on Fell and Divisadero… East on Fell about 2 blocks… but moved near the Peet’s Coffee in the Haight; gorgeous 2 bedroom rent controlled; and for less than they were paying. Just saying for reference in your move is all. Best of luck to you.

It sucks, but it’s a big revenue stream for a lot of places. It’s terrible at HMB since they’re already charging so much, but I do get why they think they have to do it.

But I’m not alone then right? Its just, hard to swallow; but obviously it is what it is; not trying to throw shade at the golf shop employee. It’s so adverse to golf; more resort vacation driven. Just hard to justify a golf trip to Tahoe in the future…

The reality is, most golfers prefer to walk. There are plenty of folks who prefer to walk, but I think the majority of casual golfers will take a cart when it’s available and not flinch at it. Whenever I get a cart as part of the greens fee, I ride (unless it’s something dumb like CPO) but if it’s a flattish course I prefer to walk.

1 Like

I think Dogpatch and the Marina are QUITE different spots in terms of what’s around, the general folks living there, etc. This is dealing in stereotypes, and the acknowledgement that it’s been a WHILE since I’ve spent a ton of time in either spot (hello, being old and married!) but the Marina was always where there were a lot of attractive, white, recent college grads (often wearing their frat or sorority gear) lived. I never lived there but I certainly went to the bars there a lot. Dogpatch is a lot more grimy in good ways - but the frat boy/sorority girl vibe isn’t really that scene. Or at least it wasn’t. It’s certainly gotten a lot more gentrified in the last few years.

In terms of driving ranges, in the Marina, I assume you’d go to the Presidio which is both grass and mats depending on the day/weather. In Dogpatch, not really sure …there’s a big driving range down near the airport but that’s not very close.

It’s annoying to me as well but I see it from the financial side of things. I just became a member at a course in Monterey/Carmel area so I’ve seen the cost breakdowns in financials. Lots of money goes towards repairing and maintaining the heavy cart traffic areas on the fairways and on/off ramps. Also lots of money goes into maintaining cart paths and the trimming around them takes more time (more labor cost). Should it be in greens fee? Maybe, but then you have people who like walking complaining about subsidizing carts. It’s a mess but I sort of get where they’re coming from with cart fees. Doesn’t mean I don’t grumble as well when I have to pay them :unamused: such is life.

2 Likes

Only place I can think of remotely over that way is the soon to reopen Eagle Club indoor range (and bar - that’s the new part).

1 Like

Is it really going to reopen? Always felt that place was on the edge of survival and worried that COVID would have been a death blow. Hope to be wrong on that, sounds like I am.

Looks like it. Back in March they started posting regular remodel updates on IG.

2 Likes

Definitely reopening and seem to be investing quite a bit in it…seems like quite the risky bet but not my money and hope it works out.

As for dogpatch driving range, I’ve lived in the dogpatch for a few years (don’t really agree with above that development has been put on hold, it’s been cranking, maybe stopped for a month right when everything else did but it’s in no way stopped or even slowed to my eye). Dogpatch is super freeway accessible so I go to San Bruno golf center (20mins) or Mariners point to hit balls (30 mins). Anywhere south of the city is easy to get to, Harding included. Anywhere in the northern half of the city is a pain (presidio, Lincoln etc).

Dogpatch in my opinion is a great part of the city to live. Very easy bike or walk to FiDi if you work there, and just quieter/cleaner than most other parts of city, but enough to do/walk to. 3rd st corridor has good spots, and Potrero is next door with cool spots as well. Plus you have giants and warriors right there.

2 Likes

Yeah I think that’s more in line with current DP - our Chiro group has a practice over in Mission Bay and that area has really popped up. Super busy where we are.

Like you said, clean(ish), flat/walkable and plenty to do with the arenas right there.

Good point on access south too. Would prob make Baylands even a fairly doable outing.

1 Like