Roll Call: Atlanta - TPC Sign Up Link in Discord Announcements Channel

limited unfortunately. I would get the city fore pass if you can pay up front. You can play chastain national for 13 bucks a pop, 25 at peak times. Walk candler for free after 4. If you are a serious golfer the pass pays for itself after a few weeks. Both are about 15-20 minutes from campus. For city golf, your only other real option is to make friends with someone at GT whose family are members at Ansley, CCC or PDC

4 Likes

FYI. I’m about to post a thread about renting out marrietta city club for the day.

They gave me a good rate.

Haven’t booked it yet but they would be excited to have us.

Dates are dec 13 or dec 14. A Friday or Saturday. Would love for a lot of ATL refuges to be able to show up. Obviously gonna try and drum up some out of towners as well.

Let me know if you think you would be interest in all day free play at city club for like $75 or less.

8 Likes

I’d be interested! Maybe this will be the day we get a big Refuge gathering together

1 Like

I’m down.

Ok. The ding dang topic I’m trying to start hasn’t been approved yet. Guess they take the weekends off.

Might be Monday before we really get some traction but should be no problem getting a healthy group. City club was excited to rent us the course.

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/atl-december-14-course-rental-marietta-city-club/14288?u=gatorz7888

2 Likes

Played for $18 last friday, 2:40pm tee time

1 Like

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/atl-dec-14-marietta-city-club-sways-exclusive-with-t-i-at-noon-est/14288/95?u=gatorz7888

2 Likes

i played smoke rise two weekends ago and it was the least fun i’ve ever had on a course

1 Like

Chastain was $32 walking for the first tee time out on Saturday. Not bad at all.

4 Likes

@RangerB was telling me on Saturday how awful Smoke Rises was. Glad to avoid that place.

check out Tup Holmes, close enough to campus, cheap as a city of atlanta course, and usually not a lot of people out there

2 Likes

Does anybody else think Chastain could be real solid if they just did a little rehab. From the blues, the course really demands a lot of different shots / clubs. Was thinking about what I would do to improve it while I waked 9 last night.

My check list:

1. Tree removal - So dang overgrown in parts. Tee shot on #12 immediately comes to mind.
  2. Cleaned up creeks & ponds
  3. Put some $$ into maintaining green surrounds to a higher standard. The shag carpet right off the green gets old.

The greens, for the budget and a city course are really not THAT bad minus some really bad spots on certain greens. Especially with the amount of play they get.

1 Like

I realize tree removal in the City of Atlanta is equivalent to a hate crime but one can hope.

4 Likes

Has some history and quirk too. Expect some scruffiness / charm.

1 Like

I haven’t played Chastain since probably 2012 but was looking on their website the other night – did they change the order of the holes on the front 9? Looked like what used to be #4 is now #1. Strange.

17th hole and I guess what is now #2 (used to be 5) always got on my nerves too with the creek in an awkward spot.

Yeah, 4 is 1 now. I actually like it way more and I think it has helped pace of play. It is also a more “out and back” routing now. Works well.

2 is one of the worst out there IMO. A lot of that is because it is now somewhat obsolete with better equipment. Basically have to hit the same Iron 3 times. Cant hit anything more than iron/hybrid off the tee and you are forced to lay up again on your second shot. I do think if you cut back the trees on the tee shot and on the approach you could go for it more easily and would have more variety in playing.

1 Like

It feels like two holes almost. It would be an incredibly long Par 4 if you just played a T box from the front landing area. It is behind both browns mill and candler on my personal COA course rankings. It also takes about 6 hours to play a round in the summer.

Absolutely agree that the bones are great. Some holes that have easy fixes:

#2: trim back the trees big time so you can actually see the left side of the landing area.

#9: from the right tee boxes, unless you can hit a cut, the line is pretty tight and you could easily run out of fairway. Trim trees/bushes back by tee box.

#10: trees down the leftside between tee box and landing area.

#17: have a plate or sign that shows distance to creek and to carry it. Would take a little bit of the guess work out of that tee shot.

4 Likes

Yes I agree. It is a non-starter on a weekend morning in the summer because it takes so long. But its great for afternoon rounds or a post work 9 when the pace of play is better.

1 Like