Roll Call: Atlanta - TPC Sign Up Link in Discord Announcements Channel

Yep about the same for me. Live in Smyrna generally driving 45+ mins.

1 Like

I would say an hour is probably right, and I wouldn’t constrain it to public golf. I’m more likely to travel an hour to play privately (e.g. Cartersville CC with my buddy) when I know we’re in a twosome, can play in 3 hours, and maybe get a free practice session out of it too.

Will do The Fields / Sweetens ~6-8 times a year combined and those are like 80 minutes to 2 hours each.

2 Likes

whats sad is BJGC is about 12 mins from my house…and is almost never ever considerd…even after the re-do…there are just so many things going against it that Id rather drive an hour.

Cartersville CC is so good. Played in the mid am there a couple years ago and fell in love. Shot a million but enjoyed every second.

I agree the benefit of playing in 3 hours at a private course makes the commute time worth it. Driving 1 hour for a 5 hour round is the brutal scenario that happens too often.

Funny… when I lived in Midtown, I did the same. And now that I’m in Sandy Springs, it’s NEVER in the consideration. The last time I played there was the first Refugee meetup with @rmattgolden and @mearley44. I’ve gotten to the point where I’m considering driving multiple hours to play a good course, e.g. Sweetens, Aiken, etc. I think UGA would be my new go-to if it were open - and that’s with an hour and fifteen minute commute.

City courses (when open) on weekdays, 40+ min drive on weekends guaranteed

2 Likes

It’s a fun course but it will beat you up. Not sure I’ve broken 80 yet playing it a half dozen times. Very well maintained.

Can’t believe my buddy joined, the drive from Midtown is brutal. I can tolerate it when we carpool and he drives, but the couple times we’ve had to go separately, by the time I hit Acworth and am still 20 minutes away I’m questioning why this is worth it.

I play so much BJ because it is so convenient. For the most part I don’t think about all the ancilary stuff there. I just want to play and practice golf. Also their fitting and pros are top tier IMO. Hard to find it on public tracks anywhere around Atlanta.

3 Likes

Southbridge is a sister course of my club. I guess I can play it for cart fees. I’ve never been there despite being in Savannah occasionally. What should I know about it?

Chad is a really good dude. Tell him Jeff from BridgeMill said hello.

I knew him when he worked at my club. I go to him occasionally for club work, and I also got a good lesson from him a while ago, while recovering from a foot injury.

Isn’t everywhere in Atlanta at least an hour away from everywhere else in Atlanta?

1 Like

Best part of the round yesterday.

11 Likes

Played Cobblestone on Sunday. Thought the course was in really good shape. Haven’t played but a few times in the last 6 months and sprayed the ball all over the place. But enjoyed finally getting out of the house and chopping it up with friends.

2 Likes

Love cobblestone. Srsly love it. Some dumb holes. But prob the best “local” course to Smyrna.

Yep. I’m partial to it as well. Grew up near the course and live just outside Smyrna now. Right at 30 minutes door to door - not many other courses worth playing within 30 minutes from the house.

2 Likes

Thought I’d leave this here for our friends to the North.

High quality afternoon 9 with @pullhooks @hojo16 and @mearley44 yesterday. Hope to run it back again soon.

7 Likes

Old Toccoa Farm

If you’re interested in a slight drive, let me recommend Old Toccoa Farm. Had a chance to play yesterday with some friends and was glad that we made the trip. Keep in mind with COVID, some things are not what we’re used to but the golf experience was solid! Think of your traditional mountain course peppered with some really solid holes along the river.

9 Likes

This was the last place I played before Covid hit. Loved everything about it. Overflowing with character and well conditioned corkiness. I imagine the conditions right now are prime. This is the funnest public tract I’ve found in Georgia. I’m itching to make it back SOON. Well worth the drive.