Roll Call: Atlanta - TPC Sign Up Link in Discord Announcements Channel

I believe it was 12 hole and whatever fairway is next to it on the left. 15 maybe?

The fact a course you can play from Golfnow has provoked this much discussion is just a testament to it being worth whatever you are paying to play it now a days.

1 Like

It’s been available on GolfNow time and again over the last three years or so. Some very wonky holes out there (love the par-5 10th descrip above) but when the greens are good, they’re very good, and make a spin around the place (nearly) worthwhile.

The forced layup off the tee on the par-5 2nd is an architectural headscratcher for sure.

I’m not sure if I would’ve rather gone in blind like I did or had all these wonderful visuals the nesticles hath provided.

Now I feel compelled to get a refuge meetup out there. Play as a 12 ball and watch the chaos ensue

6 Likes

The raffle page is up for the event I’m hosting next month in Gainesville, FL for anyone interested

Got out to Smoke Rise on Saturday afternoon.

Suffice to say, I feel thoroughly confused.

Really tough scene condition wise. Bunkers are all washed out, permabond liners showing and totally devoid of any sand. Greens were OK. Some are close to being totally lost. Even with all that, the fairways were decent and it was still very playable. I have a feeling the dryness really helped here.

Pulled my first tee shot into one of the fairway bunkers and it careened out like it hit a slab of cart path. That was an interesting way to start the round.

Hole 4 was bonkers. The dog leg left feels like an 80 degree turn. While the fairway feels like a velodrome.

Hole 6 was pretty interesting. I can’t recall playing a par 5 that is dead straight 450 yards to a short dog leg.

Generally I liked all the par 3s except hole 3. Number 7 stood out to me as well.

Hole 9 is just dumb.

Back 9 was better than the front. Felt like the property opened up a bit and the course was a bit more enjoyable. Very very tight piece of land. I pulled driver only 3 times.

10 was OK. Reminds me of no. 9 on the Stonemont course at Stone Mountain. Actually, it’s set up better than no. 9 at Stonemont.

Finished double double for an 82.

This place is a little lacking design wise. The tight property somewhat challenges your tee game but doesn’t really reward anything else. It actually plays pretty easy if you’re playing short ball. Lots of 4 irons and hybrids off the tee.

Guy I got paired with was an ex-member of the club. According to him he remembers a time when the course was immaculate. Before some alleged mismanagement on the board and Club Corp pulling their connections. I’m honestly not sure if better conditioning would have a huge difference here.

It’s just all over weird. From the big 90s era club house to the dilapidated range to the washed out bunkers, it’s the juxtaposition that is jarring. Going even further, looking at a place like Governors Towne Club, which is similar in their history it’s crazy seeing these two examples side by side.

I can’t imagine this place sticking around for much longer if the traffic on sat afternoon is their norm. I might go back if some buddies really wanted to check it out but I would rather hit ole’ Chastain National just driving distance for conditioning wise.

Lot’s of Heritage vibes which I despise. Even though I have tried really hard to like that place.

5 Likes

Sad to hear about the bunkers. My first time out there was last summer around this time and the place was in great shape. However, last time I was out there the bunkers were unplayable as well and that was easily over a month ago :/. If it ever got into a good shape it would make for a hell of a WWG video.

Anyone play Old Union Golf Course in Blairsville? Going up to the mountains this weekend and looking to sneak a round in. Anyone is welcome to join, I haven’t got a tee time yet but looking for Sunday morning to play

Does anyone have intel on Berkeley Hills CC?

They seem to have a really reasonable Junior Membership for under 30s and from what I’ve read the membership isn’t stuffy at all. Would love some perspective from someone with first hand experience though.

2 Likes

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/sweetens-cove-is-no-longer-too-wet/2595/2506

Not golf related just Atlanta, but the Superman ride claimed my phone today. Pour one out for ya boy

2 Likes

The rub of the green

1 Like

Yup used to be a member there. Perfect conditions year round and a growing member base. More of a players/golf club than a country club. Majority of the members are single digits it seems like. Check it and get a tour.

2 Likes

The Smoke Rise $35 deal is back for those wanting to see was all the discussion is about. $35 All summer at Smoke Rise Country Club valid into September! Stock up Now!

Last call if you want to join on a last minute Sweetens day trip this Saturday. Have 2 extra passes right now, will cancel those by EOD without a response.

2 Likes

I’m shocked these are unclaimed.

1 Like

I agree… sadly not in the cards for me this weekend due to returning from vacation.

I would take them but have a trifecta this weekend. My daughters pre-k graduation and birthday party, and my anniversary. Wife would literally kill me lol

2 Likes

I played Old Toccoa and have thoughts. Should I post them in this thread? I’m new here, thanks.

7 Likes