Roll Call: Alabama (Spring Match Play Info - Post #676)

War eagle

1 Like

Or roll tide?

1 Like

Sweet, appreciate the info, will definitely be getting a trail card. And sounds good, we’ll set it up soon!

1 Like

Out-of-towner that is familiar with Birmingham but not Birmingham golf. Playing with some buddies in a few weeks and we are debating where to play on the Saturday of our trip. I know my choice but curious what y’alls take is…

• Farmlinks
  • Limestone Springs

0 voters

I haven’t played Limestone Springs in a while, but I have had some buddies play in the last year and they’ve complained about the greens quite a bit. I don’t have any super recent info. EDIT: Just checked Google reviews and it looks pretty bad - I wouldn’t play it based on what is posted in the last month out there. Seems like they need an influx of funding…it is in the middle of nowhere.

If I were choosing between these two, I would go Farmlinks. Also, Ross Bridge is solid but pricey, you could shoot up to Muscle Shoals and play the RTJ courses there (I play there very regularly).

But, Farmlinks should probably be tops if you will be in the Ham…others who live there may know of some better spots. Also, Sweetens is a couple hours away as well…with Sewanee just up the road from Sweetens as well.

1 Like

I know that farm links just punched their greens like last week. Might wanna check back with them closer to when you are going.

I had a great experience at limestone springs. My buddies and I did a trip there for a weekend and stayed in the on course cabins. Really nice place with not a lot of play. Granted it has been a few years.

My 2 cents, skip oxmoor valley, courses are very uninspiring.

1 Like

From my understanding, Limestone has changed hands several times in the last 5 years or so. I played it last season and was pretty disappointed. Greens were ok, but some of the tee boxes were worse than muni level. They definitely need cash.

Leyout is great, but for the price it’s a miss. Really feel like if they’d be a little more reasonable there it would get more play but who knows what kind of financial shape they’re in. We went on a Sunday afternoon in May and were the only group on the course.

1 Like

Just moved to Birmingham from Atlanta about a year back. If anyone wants play let me know.

1 Like

Zac Radford posted a couple of videos of him playing 18 with the assistant pro at Inverness CC last week:

And a couple at Highland Park:

Birmingham guise - is Oxmoor Valley hard to get morning tee times 7 days out on the weekends? We are doing a small golf trip to B’ham and I have an RTJ trail card but I can only use it on tee times within 7 days. If I book a package I have to pay the rack rate, up front, which kind of sucks.

Thinking about chancing it and trying to book on the Saturday prior (7 days before) to the Saturday we are playing. What I don’t know is how many “members” or other people booking packages will already be on the tee sheet beforehand. My thought was to test it this weekend by checking this Saturday for next Saturday’s tee times and see if there are a number available or if everything is booked up. Just checking to see if anyone has been in this predicament before or plays frequently out at Oxmoor Valley.

You should be alright, I think. Especially if you’re calling a week ahead

1 Like

Played Farmlinks on Thursday and it was an extremely fun (and surprisingly “easy”) course. The conditions on the fairways and rough were very good. The bunkers were a little rough and washed out and the greens were slowish with a TON of pitch/ball marks in some cases. The greens rolled fine and didn’t seem to break very much. Overall I think this is a course I would love to play everyday and was very grateful to get to play out there with almost no one else on the course. Loved how much room there was off the tee and you can get away with being a little loose off the tee out there which I loved. I just wish other players out there took better care of the course and fixed their marks on the greens.

1 Like

I want to play there this fall. Sounds like a great place all-around.

I played the Legislature course at Capitol Hill Saturday. Much more challenging than I’m used to with all of the fescue and marsh. The 15th hole is probably one of my overall favorites so far.

1 Like

We looked at Capitol Hill vs Ross Bridge/Oxmoor Valley and, maybe we were cowards, but the Capitol Hill courses looked significantly more difficult…especially off the tee. The Judge looked particularly punishing for someone who has more than a 30 yard dispersion with their driver (that would be me for sure). Ross Bridge was long but you had a fair amount of room off the tee and Oxmoor Valley, though tight in some places, gave you some options off the tee. And a course like FarmLinks is exactly what I want: wide landing areas, interesting shots into greens, greens that are mid to slower speeds so you don’t have to be defensive the entire round.

I hear you. The Judge is supposed to harder than the Legislature was. People hear seem down on the RTJ trail in general and if they’re all like this than I’d understand. It was a good experience though; especially with the quicker greens.

1 Like

Doesn’t get much better than a round at FarmLinks in the fall. Greens out there are usually in better shape and run faster in the cooler months since they are bent grass (I believe). The routing out there is spectacular. Perfect mix of playable but with plenty of memorable/challenging shots. The 18th out there is one of my favorite three shot par 5s I’ve ever played.

2 Likes

South Alabama native here. I live in Headland, about 30 minutes from GA and 30 from Florida. Grew up in the area and went to Auburn. I don’t get to play as much as I want anymore but am trying to learn to enjoy the game for different reasons. I usually still play to a single digit handicap.

2 Likes

Welcome.

I got out and played the Senator course at RTJ Capitol Hill. I thought it was great change of pace from everything else in the area: limited trees/OB, moving fairways, and undulating greens that played quick. I got beat up by the greens but the amount of different kinds of putts you can have there gave me a good feeling about the course. They had been closed for a while to redo the greens so I can’t speak to what they were like before.

I would recommend checking out the course if you want something different than the pine tree laden courses we’re all surrounded by.

did the courses in orange beach and that area survive the hurricane?