Roll Call: Alabama

Someone has to learn how to lead manage the future Airman of America. I’ve played the Judge once a few years back, but have yet to see the other two courses.

Hey Clay - I’m just south of Birmingham and would be happy to join you for a round at Farmlinks, RTJ, Ballantrae or Timberline. When are you thinking about heading up to Sweetens?

Yeah I would love to play any/all of those courses. Sweetens date is completely flexible as of right now. I had Presidents’ Day weekend in mind because I think I may get Monday off, but that’s still unconfirmed.

You interested in trying out for the club golf team? I graduated 2015 but know the current president. They should be having tryouts for Spring soon after classes start. Good way to find people to play with plus get to play in tournaments.

1 Like

Craft Farms and Peninsula are good options

2 Likes

FYI - just over the Alabama line!

4 Likes

Grew up playing Horse Creek. Still try and get out there for a weekly round with family members.

1 Like

Hello Everyone! I live in Vestavia and usually play out at Bentbrook. I have been trying to play different tracks though. Farmlinks is still my favorite within an hour of B’ham. I’m looking at going to Sweetens in middle of March. Anyone have any feedback on the SC experience?

Been a while since I’ve been on the boards here…just moved to Madison/Huntsville area. 40 years ago my dad did a PGM internship at Huntsville Country Club (cc @IRBS), so it’s a pretty wild full circle.

Ha that’s awesome - very small world. HCC is in great shape, starting a big practice area revamp now. Let me know if you wanna play sometime. Several NLU fans out there as well.

I saw. We went over there when I moved, pops wanted to see everything. Talked to the head pro for a while. Looks great…we’ll be in touch.

Went through some tough times, but they really turned it around, huh?

My parents were members when I was a kid - it was so awesome in the early 90s

1 Like

Lower Alabama here; really only ever play/played Lakewood courses in Point Clear

1 Like

Just throwing this out there:

Always wanted to play some of the RTJ Trail, never gotten around to do it. Just wanted to see if that would be something everyone would wanna do? Wouldn’t be a bad refuge trip.

1 Like

I’d be up for something when this damn rain stops.

Similar to the thread that already exists, what are some of the best public courses/hidden gems in the state, mainly non-RTJ?

Hey guys, so my wife is finding out next Friday where she’ll be attending residency for the next 3 years. We are currently in Houston but we’ll hopefully be on the move to Birmingham, AL! I have been in industrial construction since I graduated college 3 years ago but I will most likely be looking to move into commercial or specialized residential construction or something kind of niche and cool. I have no connections in the area so I figured I could reach out and see if any of you fellas had any advice on jobs, areas to live, best golf, and other things to partake in while being there! Any help is greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Stillwaters is a gem depending what area you are in. It’s close to where I grew up and whenever I’m home that’s where I get out to play. Normally good prices too.

Lots of work for big GC’s in Birmingham. Obviously Brasfield and Gorrie being one of the biggest, so that would be somewhere to look into. I don’t think Homewood can be more underrated from the outside looking in. It’s a great part of town, doesn’t have as high of a price tag compared to
Vestavia and Mountain Brook and it shouldn’t be far away from any hospital she’d go to. Oh yeah, I’m also hoping to match in Birmingham as well, so good luck with absorbing the stress and anxiety from it. Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions. I don’t live there, but have family and friends there and have rotated there as well.

1 Like

I appreciate it, man! We looked around Homewood some when I visited and we both loved it so that’d probably be the move. Good luck with match! If we both end up there we’ll have to link up and play.

1 Like

Any quarantine golf being played? Drove over to the Frog in Villa Rica Ga yesterday. Awesome day. Driving up to Sweetens next week.