Refuge Book Club: Killers of the Flower Moon Date, September 20th

The “official” pregame starts at 830.

The pregame of the pregame may start sooner. I’m still on a call but as soon as I am off…

'lil bump

Feel free to come on in whenever you like.

tenor

2 Likes

Will jump on soon!

It was good. We actually discussed the book!

6 Likes

Thanks to everyone who dropped in for book discussion. Might be the first book club where the book was actually discussed! It was great to be part of a really interesting conversation before the bartender got a little too generous…

Up next will be Austerlitz by W.G. Sebald. Bit longer of a book so we’ll give about 4 weeks for people to procure a copy and read before arranging discussion questions, topics, date, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Austerlitz-Modern-Library-Paperbacks-Winfried/dp/0375756566/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1B6QYQ7W65NS&dchild=1&keywords=sebald+austerlitz&qid=1587823446&sprefix=sebald+a%2Caps%2C224&sr=8-2

10 Likes

Bartender knew me well enough to only serve decaf coffee…sad!

Was a very fun discussion and so great to step outside the normal “reading box” and hear other takes. Looking forward to the next one!

4 Likes

I’m in. thanks for this!

3 Likes

I’m going to try to procure from my local indie. If I can get within the week, I’ll join.

This bookclub sounds great!

1 Like

Picked my copy up curbside at my local bookstores yesterday. Excited for it!

2 Likes

Had my copy show up in the mail today. Will start diving in tonight.

1 Like

Ordered my copy today. Looking forward to it, not a book I would have chosen for myself.

1 Like

Ordered my copy yesterday, hope I can get through my current book and get through it prior to the discussion

2 Likes

Local indie (shoutout The Village Bookstore in Pleasantville, NY) came through.

What a beautiful book too–french flaps, higher pound paper with deckle edges. Hope the read is as enjoyable as the package.

Gratuitous rug picture included.

10 Likes

My copy is on the way. Why didn’t y’all tell me about the last meeting? :wink:

My bad, for real. Had a conflict arise last minute.

6 Likes

Target date for book club discussion to start was set for May22. How we doin’

4 Likes

Off and running (reading, started this week). I’ve been known to skip introductions when not done by the author; but definitely recommending spending some time dissecting the intro provided for this one. Has been helpful and allowed for a better early grasp on things.

2 Likes

Loving it so far.
I, too, rarely read an Intro by someone other than the author. Fearful some nuance or important detail will be spoiled. I am halfway done - think its worth it to go back and read the Intro at this point?

2 Likes

If you are loving it, I’d say bypass, keep going and circle back.

I thought it was one of the better introductions you will find, but there were some trade offs (though minor) in the spoiler and nuance department.

Glad you are enjoying it—I am as well. Without giving things away, I’ll say it set me up for the narrative a bit (“said, Austerlitz”) and has me reading full speed from picture to picture.

4 Likes

22nd works for me. Making slow and steady progress.