Refuge Book Club: Killers of the Flower Moon Date, September 20th

We kindof just let it happen has it happens :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

Would Wednesday, Feb 22 work for people?

1 Like

Not trying to rush people! How about March 8th?

1 Like

Perfect! Let’s just unilaterally lock it down :sweat_smile:

@Double_Bogey_Dave or @OffTheDole can you update the title to include March 8, 6pm PST?

6 Likes

It’s a short book so you have plenty of time!

1 Like

Alright gang. Let’s do this

Shoutout to Public Libraries, local spot had 3 copies of this in addition to 3 others already checked out

3 Likes

Man that was an absolutely brutal and tragic read. Look forward to next weeks discussion

Can’t believe a 17 year old wrote it. Quite a debut novel

1 Like

Just to be clear we are meeting on March 8. I just started the book today but enjoying it thus far.

4 Likes

Haha yes! Two weeks. Sorry got too excited lol

1 Like

Just finished. I really liked it and look forward to the chat.

I’d also love to suggest that whatever book we choose next time, it’s a bit … happier? Less soul-crushing? In that vein? :grin:

10 Likes

The run on book club zooms I won’t be able to make continues…Wednesday I’m traveling to St. Louis for a conference, so it’s unlikely I’ll be able to drop in. I’ve been keeping up with the books, and I’ll be back one day!

2 Likes

Ryan McDonald is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Refuge Book Club
Time: Mar 8, 2023 09:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 999 6668 3559
Password: 525817

One tap mobile
+16465588656,99966683559# US (New York)
+13126266799,99966683559# US (Chicago)

Dial by your location
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
Meeting ID: 999 6668 3559
Password: 525817
Find your local number: Zoom International Dial-in Numbers - Zoom

4 Likes

Sadly I can’t make it tonight, will be traveling

Should be able to join, looking forward to it! hopefully the conversation refreshes me a bit as i just finished Jason Mott’s Hell of a Book after this one and that one really stuck with me lol

Told myself it’s a short book and left myself 75 of 325 pages. Then my dad calls me back at 7:00 and puts me behind schedule. I feel like this is a college class and I’m speed reading through the ending, but we’re making it work. And I’m refusing to cry again for remainder of this book so help me.

1 Like

Perhaps some possible “feel good” books to follow up with:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/books/2022/11/17/funny-happy-books/

(Looks behind the paywall. Here are a few samples):

Remarkably Bright Creatures,’ by Shelby Van Pelt

Marcellus McSquiddles is a grumpy giant octopus who has a soft spot for Tova, a 70-year-old night cleaner at his aquarium in Washington state. Tova’s teenage son went missing more than three decades ago, but her clever new friend is intent on uncovering what happened on the night of the disappearance — even if it takes all eight of his arms. Meanwhile, 30-year-old Cameron lands a job at the aquarium while searching for his father. As their stories intersect, Van Pelt’s debut turns into a heartwarming tale that brims with hope.

‘Funny You Should Ask,’ by Elissa Sussman

Twenty-six-year-old reporter Chani Horowitz gets the assignment of a lifetime: profile movie star Gabe Parker, her longtime celebrity crush. Their weekend together stirs rumors of a whirlwind romance, and her subsequent article propels her writing career. Ten years later, they reunite for a follow-up interview, with the chance for something more to blossom. This charming romance is perfect for fans of “People We Meet on Vacation.”

‘The Fortunes of Jaded Women,’ by Carolyn Huynh

A vengeful mother-in-law once cursed the Duong family to never find love or happiness, and to give birth only to daughters. In modern-day Orange County, Calif., Mai turns to her trusted psychic and receives an earth-shattering prophecy: Her family will experience a marriage, a funeral and the birth of a son this year. The news brings together more than 14 estranged mothers and daughters for an entertaining array of gossip, bickering, matchmaking and all-around hilarity.

2 Likes

Great discussion tonight, enjoyed it. Here’s the preview I was talking about on Libby’s new feature for those that are interested Deep Search and Notify Me in Libby – OverDrive Resource Center

1 Like

Great chat last night everyone. While this book was just gut punch after gut punch, I really really enjoyed it, so props to @waver82 for picking it.

Like I mentioned last night, I don’t have any strong feelings on the next selection. I’ve heard good things about Remarkably Bright Creatures and the write up of The Fortunes of Jaded Women seemed like it would be a good read. Totally fine with any other selection as well, so completely up to the group at large. I think we were also hoping @CMick26 would let us know if he has read any of these as he seems to be as voracious of a reader as @greebs and don’t want to duplicate for him if he wanted to join again this month.

5 Likes

Any time I can find an excuse to read a book with a character named “McSquiddles” I’m intrigued.

4 Likes

So bummed for the last minute miss last night. Escaped the South Dakota winter to visit AZ relatives and did not do well with time allowance.

Definitely ready for a light read. So many intense — albeit worthy and great — reads out there now. Enjoyed “Nightcrawling”

“Incredibly Bright Creatures” has been on my radar a while. Mostly intrigued by checking out stuff by debut authors better than I historically have.

1 Like