I am totally willing to get flamed out for this but at least I have the ProV1s to come out and say it…
Question: What has Tiger done under pressure in this return to make us all really believe?
- couldn’t close at Valspar after being in a great position
- hit tee ball OB at API when he had a chance to post and force Rory to play great coming in (Rory played great, but did so after Tiger blew up)
- Played an incredible Saturday at the Players before being put on Course Record watch and then proceeded to play rest of the round +1
- Played great to make it seem plausible Webb could be caught - was T2 and lead was down to 4 and he was 350+ in the fairway on his nemisis the 14th…made bogey and finished T11
- Water Balls in the Bear Trap did him in at Honda
He has played mediocre on Thursdays and Fridays to barely make cuts and looks to be a bit more free on Saturdays when his tee time is on the AM side of Noon.
His best rounds have come when he is out of contention, and when he has played himself into contention he has found ways to fade away.
So while I am happy he is healthy enough to play a Tiger schedule, and would wager (at a legal US betting site) that he will eventually win again, the celebration of his performance in 2018 speaks more to a desire to have him back in our lives than to judge his actual performance.
This idea that the Players was promising as I have read some “Golf Writers” say: there were nearly a dozen guys with a Major to their name who were as impressive or even better over the weekend at TPC. I’m not buying the media blitz to juice ratings. I will not be blinded by the Red when everyone is in Pink.
He’s been an average tour pro at best since his return and like any average tour pro has a chance to win on any given week.
Now please proceed and flame this take. But I’m standing by the noted examples above. I am not a Tiger hater. I have admitted I expect to be wrong about him never winning a tour sanctioned tournament again (I think he will if he can play the next 5 years healthy). But I am looking a evidence and facts. I’m sorry if this does not fit the alt facts Golf Channel wants you to believe.