Pinehurst Trips

I’ve been going to Pinehurst every year since 2000 now. Made it down there a few times last year. Special place. All the Pinehurst resort courses are good. If you’re playing there and are playing #2, here’s what I would recommend…

1. Warm up with a round on #1 or #3 first. Short courses, relatively, but good courses to get prepared for #2.
  2. Play the new 9 hole short course, The Cradle. Very cool layout and a lot of fun.
  3. Play #2. Take a caddie.
  4. #4 is my favorite course after #2 but that’s being renovated by Gil Hanse until October. Check out #8. Away from the main clubhouse but it was their “centennial” course designed by Tom Fazio. Really good course.

Off resort, my favorites courses are:

1. Dormie Club
  2. Tobacco Road
  3. Mid Pines
  4. Talamore
  5. Mid South

Dinner, check out…

1. The Deuce…relatively new restaurant/bar in the main clubhouse. Indoor and outdoor seating right behind the 18th green of #2. Buffalo wing sliders and their Old Fashioned are awesome.
  2. The Ryder Cup lounge at the Carolina Hotel.
  3. The Taven at the Holly Inn.
  4. The PInecrest Inn…their pork chop is money. Plus they have a great indoor chipping game good for some betting.
  5. Dugans Pub (in the village)
  6. Theo’s Taverna (in the village)
  7. And if you just want pizza, there’s a great pizza joint called Vito’s down Highway 5 beside the Food Lion.

Have a great time.

I played Tobacco Road and Southern Pines last week. TR was certainly as advertised- insane layout with a great deal of blind shots, intimidating looks off the tee, etc… I would highly recommend the course, it is really unique and a pretty good value compared to some of the other courses in the area (I paid $60). The pic below is a good example of one of the more demure blind shots. This is your 3rd shot looking into the 12th (par 5). The second shot (to this area) is literally 100% blind. You definitely need arcos or some sort of GPS app to play the course.

Southern Pines isn’t on the same level as the other courses, but it is a really solid budget play. The course was in better shape than I expected and the layout is really fun.

![IMG_5837|666x500]

Never been, but heading out there with a group of guys in a couple of weeks. Appreciate all the tips, and will hopefully have some of my own to share when I’m back!

Went on a trip there last year. Played Pine Needles on Thursday, No. 8 on Friday, No’s 4 & 9 on Saturday, and No. 2 on Sunday morning.

We were toast by No. 2, so if you’re going to play the Pinehurst resort courses, I’d try to get No. 2 in earlier in the trip…second day would’ve been ideal.

And you gotta find some time to play Thistle Dhu. it’s a putting course right at the main complex - had a blast and had some dollars change hands.

Heading through there on a last minute pit stop for a work trip next week. Planning on playing Mid Pines right now and maybe try and swing another course if time permitting.

Not sure if I will play at Pinehurst Resort but at least going to go and check it out as I have never been. Beer at the bar on the 18th hole is on the list, anybody else got any recommendations for cool things to check out around the resort? Does anyone know if the Thistle Dhu putting course is open to the public?

Make sure you stop by the Pine Crest Inn. That’s a must in Pinehurst