Oh to be a member at Sunningdale - England Top 100 Update

They update this every couple of years, latest rankings out…Sandwich still #1.

https://www.top100golfcourses.com/news-item/top-100-golf-courses-of-england-2020

Far from scientific this kind of thing but I’ve personally found Top100 a great resource, never been far wrong in my experience. I’ve played some out of the way gems like Fortrose and sleeping giants like Porthcawl becaue I found them here.

2 Likes

I’ve said this before, but it’s worth repeating — my limited opportunity to play golf in England makes me wish I lived in the UK.

4 Likes

Isn’t Sunningdale being sued by a member because they kicked him out for playing too much? I thought I saw that in a headline somewhere recently.

3 Likes

It is. My wife sent it to me yesterday and said it’s a good thing my club hasn’t said that to me yet.

4 Likes

Is Bob Parson’s on the board there?

4 Likes

Always fun to see the new top100 list published. Not so much the top50 as they generally stay the same, but the bottom 50 and the new entries.

I agree with you that its a great resource and a great way to discover new courses.

I do wonder why the addington dropped so many places, but they have recently appointed CDP to make improvements.

Great to see Hadley moving up the ranks Grant

3 Likes

The guy is a total dick. He’s an “overseas member” and only pays £1,500 a year. In reality he lives in England and has some businesses overseas, but refused to stump up a whole £3,500 annual dues to be a full member of maybe the finest golf club in the world. They’ve warned him about it over recent years and finally turfed him out.

8 Likes

Well I didnt want to mention it, but very very gratifying to see little old Hadley Wood climb so far so fast. Very progressive management team in place, just wish we had the money to do everything the course deserves all at once. Get yourself back over Mikael, we’ll have a rematch.

4 Likes

For any US-based Refugees, I definitely recommend playing Hadley Wood. I look forward to playing it again the next time I’m in London.

1 Like

Huntercombe up 19 pleases me greatly. Such a brilliant match play course!

Piltdown in as a new entry at #83 is very cool. I found that thanks to T100 in Spring and it was so much fun, it has lots of island fairways except water doesn’t make the island, heather does. It’s really firm and bouncy too.

Of ones I’ve played, Littlestone and Moortown shouldn’t be that high. Littlestone though is scheduled for a Mackenzie & Ebert renovation.

Knole Park at 89 is the most underrated I’ve played. It’s unique (300+ deer roaming), really pretty, dramatic terrain, fun and borderline top 5 favourite for me.

2 Likes

I’m very excited to be going back to this place on Sunday. Such a lovely place to spend a day.

1 Like

Yes we must!

I slightly regret not joining Hadley a few years back when there was no joining fee.

There are three big omissions. I would happily toss Belfry, St Mellion & Remedy Oak for Kington, Reigate Heath and Cavendish. The UK simply doesn’t do parkland courses much justice. Although I do like some of the type and am pleased to see Blackwell listed. I also agree that Worlington should be far higher placed. My list has plenty of space for Cleeve Hill as well. But I admit that once a list of England’s best gets much past 60 it is a case of 80 courses could fill 40 spots.

4 Likes

Both with you and not on this one Grant. I really like Stoke Park as a place to spend the day. The clubhouse is magnificent, the food is good. Sitting in the terrace sublime.

But I’m not a big fan of the golf course. I find it really dull.

1 Like

Yeh it’s a bit samey but you are right it’s all about the whole package. And it does have the the par three 7th, which Dr Al plagiarised unashamedly and took to Augusta.

https://media.gq-magazine.co.uk/photos/5d138f089fa60162f0837f29/master/w_750%2Cc_limit/stoke-park-04-gq-30jul18_b.jpg

1 Like

Oh, and 100% agree about the guy being a dick at Sunningdale. Sounds like he was kicked out because he was abusing an international membership when it was clear he should have been a full member. They have problems with that over in Surrey. I know West Hill recently stopped their artisan membership because one of the ‘artisans’ were turning up to play in a McLaren!

1 Like

Yeah it’s a fun hole. Never kept the ball on that green either. Always rolls through to the bunkers!

That’s the only hole I remember from Stoke Park. Need to play it again on a non-corporate day

@The_Cad_Says do you still do reviews/ratings for Top 100?